News Round 4, 2015: Footy Jumper Discussion (ANZAC Round)

Remove this Banner Ad

why would the royal blue be daft? don't both WCE and Footscray wear their royal blue way to collingwood? royal blue isn't similar to black. Leagues that are actually consistent and stricter with their application of match-day kit rules (because they actually publish them for all and sundry to view!!) rightly prove that black vs royal blue are not similar!!
In North/Collingwood it's not the royal blue vs black that some find to be an issue, it's the very large amount of white on both kits. WCE and WB don't have this similarity on their guernseys.
Dayne+Beams+AFL+Rd+5+Collingwood+v+North+Melbourne+YTRNv4DVWaml.jpg
art-collingwood-west-coast-620x349.jpg

In North/Collingwood it's not the royal blue vs black that some find to be an issue, it's the very large amount of white on both kits. WCE and WB don't have this similarity on their guernseys.
In my own opinion there is certainly no clash in that North vs Collingwood pic.

no clash at all.
perfect example of why North should have the hooped socks full time though!

I was only saying that the issue SOME people have was not with the royal vs black part of the matchup, but with the fairly large amounts of white still present. The dark-light-dark-light pattern on both is also considered contributing :)

I'd be interested to see North in full royal versus Collingwood, just to see if the contrast was any better. Won't happen obviously

I'd be interested to see North in full royal versus Collingwood, just to see if the contrast was any better. Won't happen obviously
I don't think it would be better than the current status-quo, but it'd be interesting.

COL black against the NM 'Canterbury' royal blue will have a heap of contrast, particularly if NM were to adopt a predominantly royal blue kit with a white V.

there would be issues though between the black-backed COL guernseys, and the blue-backed NM guernsey. despite sufficient contrast of these colours, the front of both guernseys would blend greatly for mine. both have white stripes on a darker base which makes the white stripes on both guernseys very prominent. it is an optical illusion when white/bright stripes/dots are on a darker base that the white really stands out. this has been proven scientifically. it makes these guernseys prominently white from the front, and their darker base on the back. you don't get this issue with a predominantly white/light guernsey with dark stripes. these guernseys look white/light on the front and back.

COL black against the NM 'Canterbury' royal blue will have a heap of contrast, particularly if NM were to adopt a predominantly royal blue kit with a white V.

there would be issues though between the black-backed COL guernseys, and the blue-backed NM guernsey. despite sufficient contrast of these colours, the front of both guernseys would blend greatly for mine. both have white stripes on a darker base which makes the white stripes on both guernseys very prominent. it is an optical illusion when white/bright stripes/dots are on a darker base that the white really stands out. this has been proven scientifically. it makes these guernseys prominently white from the front, and their darker base on the back. you don't get this issue with a predominantly white/light guernsey with dark stripes. these guernseys look white/light on the front and back.
By this argument, in the current arrangement, Collingwood's white stripes on black show up a lot of white, and North's blue stripes on white show up a lot of white as well? :p

By this argument, in the current arrangement, Collingwood's white stripes on black show up a lot of white, and North's blue stripes on white show up a lot of white as well? :p

this is true, but it's the way the eye translates it.

NM's kit looks like a very white kit. COL's kit looks like a black kit with very prominent white stripes.

even though it would seem that having COL in black and NM in the new royal blue would be fine theoretically, having both kits in their darker base colours with the same 'white striped design' will really * the eye. it would be less effective generally than the current arrangement. the problem wouldn't be predominantly blue vs predominantly black, it would be the designs and colour combos of both guernseys, i.e., white stripes on a dark base.

Last edited:
As with Geelong/Collingwood, the white on both jumpers stands out a lot, so with one front 60/40 and the other 40/60 there's still a lot of white between the two teams. There are better and worse matchups in the comp. The Geelong/Collingwood one is slightly worse as they both have white, and the other colour in both kits is very similar. At least with Geelong/North or Collingwood/North there's only one mutual colour.
I simply don't have a problem with the Geelong/Collingwood matchup. One has vertical stripes, the other horizontal. One is a black base, the other white. I really don't see how having white on both jumpers is causing that much of an issue.
didn't have problems. just saying that merely reversing the colours on the design is boring when North have worn a guernsey that would make a better alternate in this match (getter rid of more white from their kit), would be something worthy of buying because it looks different to their main guernsey instead of a mere reversing of colours and has some sort of heritage, and it wouldn't appear that they're just a collingwood or hawthorn clone with regard to their kits.
I agree with this 100%. This is perhaps where I was misinterpreting you earlier.
why would the royal blue be daft? don't both WCE and Footscray wear their royal blue way to collingwood? royal blue isn't similar to black. Leagues that are actually consistent and stricter with their application of match-day kit rules (because they actually publish them for all and sundry to view!!) rightly prove that black vs royal blue are not similar!!
I stand corrected. :) But to clarify what I was trying to get at, North wearing stripes with a royal base when they already have stripes with a white base is what would be daft. If they had royal with a white 'V' things would be different.
it's why it was also ridiculous to make North wear white shorts against Port last week.

the AFL's adhoc use and interpretation of the dark vs light test when it appears to suit is what is daft. how about the League consider similarity issues based on the actual colours themselves rather than an obscure light vs dark colour test? Just look at Sydney vs GWS. red is considered dark/orange is light so it is all fine apparently, but then the actual colours that are used to actually avoid similarities on match-day between the two teams are the minor differentiators on both kits of white and charcoal - light on sydney & dark on GWS.

and then you have games where they allow Hawthorn away to wear a similar dark base guernsey to their opposition when not only is their main guernsey satisfactory for the match, it's the better option. or when the AFL permit any VFL club that has won more 10 or more premierships to both wear their dark guernseys, so dark vs light doesn't apply in any of these cases.

the AFL fails in so many areas on this issue. it wheels out inconsistent reasoning to cover their arse.

the policy is a dogs breakfast.
Yep. Dogs breakfasts look much more attractive than the AFL's clash policy (or lack thereof).

this is true, but it's the way the eye translates it.

NM's kit looks like a very white kit. COL's kit looks like a black kit with very prominent white stripes.

even though it would seem that having COL in black and NM in the new royal blue would be fine theoretically, having both kits in their darker base colours with the same 'white striped design' will really **** the eye. it would be less effective generally than the current arrangement. the problem wouldn't be predominantly blue vs predominantly black, it would be the designs and colour combos of both guernseys, i.e., white stripes on a dark base.
Wait, are we agreeing on this? I was about to quote this post as backup for my argument, then realised who I was quoting. I think I need more sleep. 8:15pm is clearly too late for me as well :eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I simply don't have a problem with the Geelong/Collingwood matchup. One has vertical stripes, the other horizontal. One is a black base, the other white. I really don't see how having white on both jumpers is causing that much of an issue.

good that we sorted most of that out.

I have to say that we disagree with regard to COL vs GEE though.

Yes, you are right that the former has a predominantly black base to their full kit, and the later a white base, but the effect on the eye of 36 players on the field in both kits is different to COL vs NM.

what's the difference? two-fold. primarily, it is the colour of the GEE hoops. they are navy which is not far off black in appearance in contrast to NM lighter royal blue. furthermore, they have more hoops (5) on the front of their guernsey than NM has stripes (3).

the effect is a real mish-mash of the same colours, particularly from the front. both have a prominent white-black/navy-white/black-navy, etc stripped design which blends.

good that we sorted most of that out.

I have to say that we disagree with regard to COL vs GEE though.

Yes, you are right that the former has a predominantly black base to their full kit, and the later a white base, but the effect on the eye of 36 players on the field in both kits is different to COL vs NM.

what's the difference? two-fold. primarily, it is the colour of the GEE hoops. they are navy which is not far off black in appearance in contrast to NM lighter royal blue. furthermore, they have more hoops (5) on the front of their guernsey than NM has stripes (3).

the effect is a real mish-mash of the same colours, particularly from the front. both have a prominent white-black/navy-white/black-navy, etc stripped design which blends.
I've seen this argument several times throughout these boards and still can't come to agree with it. But I think the problem may be me more so than anything else. When watching a game (which for me means sitting on the couch and turning to 7mate) I find that the majority of what I'm looking at is the numbers on the back of jumpers. I don't know if this makes me a minority or just peculiar, but I really don't take much note of the front of the jumper. Therefore my issue is always going to be the base colour and the differences between them (for instance, Port v Hawthorn is terrible, regardless of how much gold is present; but I know I'm not alone in this assessment).

I was going to do this a few days ago but oh well.

How much of the proceeds go to charities according to the item descriptions on their store/auctions (couldn't be bothered finding the articles):

Collingwood:

Please note all club profits from the auction will be donated to the RSL.

Gold Coast:

All proceeds from the auctions of these guernseys will be donated to the ANZAC Appeal. the ANZAC Appeal, run by the RSL, provides assistance to past and present Defence Force members with a variety of financial and non-fiancial support services.

GWS:

Couldn't find.

Brisbane:

with a portion of the proceeds being donated to the 7th Brigade’s charity of choice – “Wounded Heroes”.

Essendon:

Part proceeds will be donated to the RSL. (retail)

All proceeds will be donated to the RSL. (match worn)

Freo:

Proceeds to go the RSL (match worn)

Retail doesn't mention it.

Melbourne:

Match worn doesn't say.

A portion of the proceeds (Retail)

Port:

Doesn't say but I think they said all the proceeds goes to charity in a tweet.

Saints:

Doesn't say for either.

Hawks:

All proceeds going directly towards the Return Services League and the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA). (match worn)

ManWithNoName

Someone on the Saints board noticed that LEDified weren't on our sponsors board post game. There's also no LEDified logo on the front page of the club website.

Could there be a ban on these type of led lights in NZ?

I was overseas when the Anzac day clash was on between the pies and the dons, and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Essendon's guernsey. Unfortunately because I wasn't in the loop and I didn't return home till last week I wasn't able to get one, since returning home I have been trying to exhaust every avenue to get my hands on one. According to Addidas , AFL shop , windy hill everywhere they are completely out and no more are to be made. I almost had one on eBay but I was beaten out in the last second. I'm just appealing to the masses to see if anyone would be interested in selling one preferably size large but any size would do at this point. I am willing to pay almost anything...

I was overseas when the Anzac day clash was on between the pies and the dons, and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Essendon's guernsey. Unfortunately because I wasn't in the loop and I didn't return home till last week I wasn't able to get one, since returning home I have been trying to exhaust every avenue to get my hands on one. According to Addidas , AFL shop , windy hill everywhere they are completely out and no more are to be made. I almost had one on eBay but I was beaten out in the last second. I'm just appealing to the masses to see if anyone would be interested in selling one preferably size large but any size would do at this point. I am willing to pay almost anything...
I'll be at the game on Friday working for Essendon. I'll ask around for you.

thank you so much I really appreciate it
I asked my boss at the game last night, and she said that they would probably have been sold out by now. I also asked at the merchandise stands, and they said if it's not online, that they would probably be sold out. Sorry, it didn't work out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back