Preview Round 4, 2015: Port Adelaide v Hawthorn, ANZAC Day, 7.40pm @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big test for you guys, as probably the only lingering concern on Port is your depth. Having said that, losing Sheils hurts us more than a lot of people realise, and we may have a late out if other posters here are correct.
Still think it's going to a close one and a cracking game, regardless of the weather.
make that out Hodge and/or Lewis ... thanks :)

You are right though, no better way to test out your depth. I said if we win one of our next 2 I would be happy, but that is looking more like next week v Crows.

I'd take out Schulz.....without him, there is minimal forward threat
Ryder, Wingard, Monfries, Gray.

Everything Port does starts in the middle at the clearances. Stop that and their runners don't get the ball to get up to their forwards and they don't score quickly out the back.

If Langford can shut Boak down then their best midfield rotation is gone. Hodge, Lewis and Langford will dominate Boak and two second stringers. Then their third string rotation could match up on Mitchell, Burgoyne and Rioli. With Puopolo, Breust and Roughead also capable of going through there. Hartung, Smith and Hill buzzing around the outside waiting for the give and go. Port's outside runners now forced to stay defensive side and just hope for a clanger coming out of the congestion.

Surely, surely we decide Swiss/Langford tags Boak this game. With the handy news that Wines and Gray are out, Boak is now the biggest midfield threat. Personally I'd get Whitecross to tag and put Langford straight in the guts to win the contested possesion. They've lost two talented, contested possesion acquiring midfielders. Negate Boak, and the likes of Hodge/Mitchell/Lewis/Burgoyne should have a field day in the contests.

Their next strain of midfielders aren't really contested ball winners, more fast runners e.g. Polec and White. However, they usually recieve the ball from their clearance players. If our midfield wins (stopping Boak goes a long way) then these players cant be used to the same effectiveness of Smith, Hill and even Hartung.

Putting Roughhead in the middle is going to be big this game. His sheer size and athleticism will worry the Port mids, and without two of their best three contested ball-winners (and hopefully Boak being negated) it's ideal conditions for him to garner constant fast forward fifty entries.

Our rucks will have to focus on negating the influence of Ryder and Lobbe. Even if McEvoy and Ceglar don't outright win the taps, they need to at least influence the taps enough so that our mids have a chance of winning the ball. Both of them also need to use their height and strength to their advantage in the forwardline, and hopefully impact the scoreboard.

We have no excuses not to win this game. Port are in the same position we were when we played them (in the home and away season) last year, and we should put them to the sword for it.

EDIT: Apparantly Polec did not participate in Port's training and sinply watched on the sidelines. Another potential ommision for them.

Last edited:
i wish i shared the optimism lads. Two of our best clearance players. Its like you being without Lewis and Hodge... i hope it floods tomorrow night.
Last time we played you at AO we were without Lake, Roughy, Mitchell, Gibson and Rioli, and McEvoy was subbed out in the second quarter
We still made a game of it, losing by 2-3 goals!
Good sides, which Port very much are, find a way even when things don't go to plan
The massive home ground advantage you have, combined with the desire to win your first game at home, will ensure a hard fought contest, and an even one, no matter the side you put out on Saturday!
This will be a ripper game!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Ollie and Robbie out for Port, it will have an effect on Ports game. But Port at home are a force and we need to be up for this. We dropped the Essendon game for poor attitude, this needs to be a mini final like attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back