Round 4, 2015 vent thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey guys, first time poster. Probably the most dissapointed i've been in a Brisbane loss in years today. Having said that, I think things need to be put into perspective. Were people really expecting us to improve this year? Since the start of last season we have lost what were our 3 best and most experienced key position players (Brown, Patfull and Merrett who is injured). Key position players are extremely difficult to replace! Our key position stocks are early years of gws/gc levels of inexperienced, we don't have the talls to take big grabs and change the tempo of games. So far the only real change to our side midfield wise is Beams in and Hanley out, like for like in terms of quality. I think in 2 years time we will be fine.

Hi, and welcome......you are very game to post first time, at a time like this;)

I liked your post because of the optimistic attitude you have.......so hope you are right, we need something to keep us going right now.....cheers

I am confident. We forget how good Hanley and Rockliff are at full flight. Hanley gains 1000 metres, number 1 in league with run.

I have also watched heaps of Collingwood games in Melbourne, make no mistake, Beams will fire. Its game 4, give him time, he is an absolute gun.

Have no doubts about Beams.

It is terribly disheartening when a smart player like Rich, who is capable of kicking 70 metres off a step, takes the kick in and decides a 30m pass straight in front is a good option, and it isn't marked.
The mind continues to boggle.

I think Leppa is doing a great job. He is continuing to blood and get games into youngsters. Matthew's said preseason no short cuts should be taken, and I think they are making steady progress but it will take time.

I know it is very frustrating watching turnovers etc, but I think Brisbane will improve dramatically in the second half of the year when Hanley, Rockliff and Beams are in full flight and the likes of Cutler is more composed.

This has been the same story for years and it doesn't work. We have so many young guys that we gave games to running around in other jumpers Aish will be another.

It is terribly disheartening when a smart player like Rich, who is capable of kicking 70 metres off a step, takes the kick in and decides a 30m pass straight in front is a good option, and it isn't marked.
The mind continues to boggle.

To make it worse the Eagles used Hurns long kick to advantage with a couple if set plays.

This has been the same story for years and it doesn't work. We have so many young guys that we gave games to running around in other jumpers Aish will be another.

That's a generalised comment. All top 6 players drafted last year all played today, and those players will make Lions more balanced in years to come.

Having Longer, Polec, Yeo etc instead of the 6 players wouldn't have made any difference today.
If Aish leaves we will be well compensated, all other players have signed. We seen Yeo today, he's still a under developed player.

Will someone please convince me that our once mighty lions will not fold/merge within 3 years?

- Already have a huge debt.
- Low memberships (about to get much lower in coming years)
- Small crowds at home games (about to get much lower in coming years)
- Playing the worst footy people can imagine, hence less members and bums on seats at games (especially fickle qld supporters)

Surely it will come to a point where they AFL do not see the value in pumping so much money into a black hole with no reward.

:cry:

Will someone please convince me that our once mighty lions will not fold/merge within 3 years?

Yes, TV deal - AFL won't let it happen.

There you go!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The last four weeks we have been absolutely putrid. Our skill level is not up to senior AFL standard.

So much optimism in the preseason with our off field recruiting yet we have gone backwards. Wtf is going on Leppa :mad:

Lets look at the positives; our Midfield in 2020 will be Beams (30), Keays, Jacob Allison and Jack Rolls, all of which will be QLDers :cool:

- Already have a huge debt.
- Low memberships (about to get much lower in coming years)
- Small crowds at home games (about to get much lower in coming years)
- Playing the worst footy people can imagine, hence less members and bums on seats at games (especially fickle qld supporters)

Surely it will come to a point where they AFL do not see the value in pumping so much money into a black hole with no reward.

Access to the Brisbane market bring in more TV dollars than it costs to keep us running.

How many performances like our game against North Melbourne, Richmond and West Coast today would it take for the club to sack Justin Leppitsch? It is fairly clear that he does not have the necessary tactical or motivational skill required to coach at the elite level. He does not even seem capable of drilling it into the team that telegraphing to the entire universe that you are going to switch play in defence and then kicking a floater to a bloke who is standing flat footed is a BAD IDEA. Very easy to pick off and it is costing us goals EVERY WEEK. Does anyone think this has been addressed at training? If no, why not? If yes, why aren't the players listening.? What does this say about the coach and his ability to establish and enforce team rules?

How many performances like our game against North Melbourne, Richmond and West Coast today would it take for the club to sack Justin Leppitsch? It is fairly clear that he does not have the necessary tactical or motivational skill required to coach at the elite level. He does not even seem capable of drilling it into the team that telegraphing to the entire universe that you are going to switch play in defence and then kicking a floater to a bloke who is standing flat footed is a BAD IDEA. Very easy to pick off and it is costing us goals EVERY WEEK. Does anyone think this has been addressed at training? If no, why not? If yes, why aren't the players listening.? What does this say about the coach and his ability to establish and enforce team rules?

It's great to see you've moved your weekly death riding hobby on to a new horse! :thumbsu: Transition can definitely be tough.

Leppa gives every one an out by playing the inexperienced card. I would be putting the heat on them publicly for their lack of run, pressure, tackling etc. I can understand being inexperienced and not having the strength and getting knocked off the ball, but to not even try to create a contest is unacceptable.

I agree 100% with this. You would hope different conversations are taking place behind closed doors but Leppitsch seems to give the team an out to the public after every loss "yeah but we are real young and experienced" is the message I get from his press conferences.

He doesn't have to roast individual players or even the team but at least talk about his expectations more strongly & often.

Had a quick squizz at the NRL ladder.

Does it piss anyone here off how quick it is to rebuild an RL team?

Titans and Broncos were putrid last year and Titans were spoon tip. Now Broncos are on top and **** are in the 8.

QLD potential fans just don't have the patience for the AFL ingrained youth policy.

God it is frustrating seeing this happen to a once proud club. We have no passion and I can't see how Leppa can keep being this positive. I have paid for 4 premium memberships this season and I feel seriously let down.

Hearing we are 3 or 4 years away from competing for finals is difficult.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back