Review Round 4: Giants vs Doggies star trek stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

If we are trading Tomlinson, it has to be this year. Serious lack of talls in the cool at moment, especially versatile ones who can play forward, back and ruck.

Richmond, Bulldogs, Freo, Brisbane and even a Melbourne would all part with a 1st round pick for a 20 year old KPP.

The Doggies played well, had better composure and took their changes.
That game highlighted how huge Mumford has been for us and especially in the last quarter as Giles tired and Minson kept going.
Our key defence is an area we were are going to keep getting exposed with the lack of maturity but getting games into Frost, Haynes and Plowman now is gold.

Mohr and Davis being injured can be seen as a kind of golden opportunity to develop our key young defenders before we start our stride into a finals contention team

Mohr and Davis being injured can be seen as a kind of golden opportunity to develop our key young defenders before we start our stride into a finals contention team

Remember, Frost went all the way through his draft to the rookie draft.

All the teams crying out for KPPs could have had him for a fourth round pick :)

Loving our rookie gems of Giles, frost and Williams. If Phillips and Schulz get back to their best then we have some decent players picked up for chips

Remember, Frost went all the way through his draft to the rookie draft.

All the teams crying out for KPPs could have had him for a fourth round pick :)

And Kennedy went through the 2010 draft, the rookie draft and the preseason draft with nobody even nibbling. We then came knocking in '11. Hard to imagine not a single club being interested in using even a late round rookie draft pick on him.

112 picks in the main draft, 6 picks in the preseason, 88 picks in the rookie draft. And some clubs took nobody in preference to Adam Kennedy. How'd that work out?

Subtly evident in the 3rd quarter too, we still got a bit going forward but they had a man on the overlap for a few consecutive trips resulting in at least a couple of goals.

Yep, it started fairly early in the 3rd qtr.
We were sitting between the 2 interchange gates and there was a significant difference in the energy levels of the 2 sets of guys as they ran on and off from around that time..

Boyd & Griffen were just too hot for our mids and Ward was removed from the contest.

Get Whitfield, Smith, Shiel back this week from injuries Lamb, Kelly, Bugg and Sumner can go. Also Addison is an option for Tomlison. I still say Greene is good in the ruck rover role.
Mummy and Palmer back in two weeks Mohr after that. Need our best on board. Hope WHE is okay.
Encouraging signs from Haynes, Hampton, Frost, and Hunt and Heath showed their class. Giles won his battle.Bring in Boyd?

My line-up:
FB:Haynes---Frost--------Hampton
HB:Shaw----Plowman------Kennedy
C: Treolar------Ward-------Scully
HF:Coniglio----Cameron----Whitfield
FF: Smith-----Boyd-----Patton
R: Greene----Giles------Shiel
INT: Hunt----WHE---Townsend
RES: Addison

Really disappointed with yesterday but I guess young teams will do that.

Let's be frank Tomlinson was awful, but those calling for him to be traded etc are being very hasty. He has a unique skill set with his height, endurance and athleticism. He didn't show any of that yesterday but he showed way too much last year to give up on him. Perhaps needs more time in NEAFL but at his best he is in the 22.

With Greene copping so much heat for his disposal Cogs is getting away scot free. As with Greene he has huge endeavour and has a real crack but he is still inclined to rush his kicking. He really needs to work on this if he is to become elite.

Jezza needs to get a bit more involved and be a bit more Reiwoldt like. I know we have enormous expectation of him but I feel he has been a shade down this year. He still does miraculous things but maybe move him around a bit more to get him into the game.

My heart breaks for Will Hoskin-Elliott. This kid showed a heap in the limited time he was on. He has elite speed and talent and is just so unlucky. WHen he strings some games together he may well prove the most exciting player in the competition.

The positives I took out of the game were Haynes and Plowman. These two are growing in stature every week and with more seasoning will become very accomplished defenders. Josh Kelly didn't get a huge amount but again showed flashes of brilliance. His hands in traffic is Sam Mitchell like.

Losing Mumford was an absolute body blow, in his current form he is our most valuable player and irreplaceable. The sooner we get him and Whitfield back the sooner we will be winning games again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's a sign of how spoiled we are w high round draft picks that as soon as someone like Tomlinson has a poor game we don't talk of dropping him (after one opportunity!) but ppl say we should trade him for even MORE first round picks!

We don't need more young talent we need players with preseasons a under their belt and run in the legs

I just don't want to become known as the supporters that slate their team each time they lose!

The idea that Tomlinson would be available for trade isn't coming from us in the sense we want rid of him. He's a star in the making; more so from his POV. If he doesn't get games, there will be a lot of clubs circling for him, and he would be mad not to look at the options, as sad as that would be for us.

I thought Tomlinson had a respectable game tbh, I don't get the thought he didn't.
He was beaten in the ruck fairly comprehensively, but he hasn't been rucking much NEAFL with Downie Phillips et al there..
He took 5 marks and had 14 disposals for 78%+ DE, better than plenty, definitely deserves another run.

I thought Tomlinson had a respectable game tbh, I don't get the thought he didn't.
He was beaten in the ruck fairly comprehensively, but he hasn't been rucking much NEAFL with Downie Phillips et al there..
He took 5 marks and had 14 disposals for 78%+ DE, better than plenty, definitely deserves another run.
Agree 100% would like to see him get some more time in the 1sts, Not sure he is a viable ruck option though. Sauce Phillips may be due a run given his form in the magoos. Downie deserves another hitout as well, I still think it is harsh on the kid that his only game in the top flight was against Freo in WA...just cruel

That's the problem for Tomlinson. With JC and Patton the twin towers, the 3rd forward has to be able to ruck, which puts Giles In front.

We can't pick all 4 of them, unless as pre season talk was, Giles holds down CHB position.

Great problem to have but eventually something will give. List management was always going to become an issue at some stage and with the depth we have, and the recruiting of some experienced players, it's starting to make it hard for everyone to get opportunities.

Best part of this is, it's no longer like it was under Sheedy where players just needed games and we had to expose under developed youngsters. Players now have to dominate NEAFL, and put good performances back to back to back to break in.

That's the problem for Tomlinson. With JC and Patton the twin towers, the 3rd forward has to be able to ruck, which puts Giles In front.

We can't pick all 4 of them, unless as pre season talk was, Giles holds down CHB position.

Great problem to have but eventually something will give. List management was always going to become an issue at some stage and with the depth we have, and the recruiting of some experienced players, it's starting to make it hard for everyone to get opportunities.

Best part of this is, it's no longer like it was under Sheedy where players just needed games and we had to expose under developed youngsters. Players now have to dominate NEAFL, and put good performances back to back to back to break in.

Sheedy made that point quite strongly at the pre-game, that anyone playing games this year had earned them, and stated that previously that wasn't the case, we all knew it but was good to hear him state it nonetheless..
He also said we will only get 50 - 100 games max out of Mumford as his body struggled a lot with soreness..

Disappointed with the result from the weekends game but hopefully the guys learn from the good and the bad. Some of my highs and lows from the game for some of the players
Patton was strong in the contest and 9 marks proves what a giant he will be but missing that set shot from 35 out
Cameron 3 goals
Giles Rucking for most of the game but it showed in the final quarter couldn't create a contest there from what I could see (any former rucks in our supporters?)
Ward very quiet in this game Tagged/injured or just off?
Was it Shaws best game
Scully I think needs to show more and really prove to be the difference in games he should be more developed than most of the team but for me doesn't seem to show it, would love for him to shut all the Scully haters up (99% of Melbournes population?)
Everyone must want Greene to succeed and i think this will be another learning year for him and his decision making will improve and the wtf brigade will move onto someone else. if you put me in a game my disposal efficiency would probably be 25% or less on a good day
and for all the posts on trading or chastising players after one game (Tomlinson) or no games (O'Rourke) maybe wait until halfway or the end of the season as they maybe 35 players on the list could be best 22 for round 23
and just be grateful we are not in as deeper hole as Melbourne or Carlton both seem to be

Remove this Banner Ad

Back