Autopsy Round 4 v Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Let the opposition get a whacking lead then try and reel them in, is this some new tactic from Clarko to toughen us up? Me no like :thumbsdown:

Am also over getting injuries to key defenders in the first quarter :mad:

Hoping next week is North's off week.

The most epic intense footy match I've seen in ages, my guts got twisted up, home now red in hand. Kudos to Hawks, epic performance, I have no idea where we are, we looked cooked in the last. Be interesting to afl review if game, seemed to be a fair bit off the ball. See you again sometime, what a game to honour the ANZAC's.

You guys have had two in a row like that....and we play north next week

Held on magnificently both times

1- its April
2- backline is being smashed with injuries - again - and very early in games this year. Take out Carlisle at the same time and the Hawks waltz home.
3 - the Hawks had no right to get as close as they did tonight down one rotation for a very long time

It is no where near panic yet.

Yes remember last season with our team decimated with about 7 out and we nearly got the Swans at ANZ. That's the game that made me wonder how good , or really bad the Sydney team was. I just think panic now is silly. They'll come around . Bad night and good night Hawks gotta sleep..

Bartell did a medial last week. I suppose we could use this as a good estimate on how long Lake will be out for.

Next 8 games are:
Rd.5 - North (A) - Frawley to miss also.
Rd.6 - GWS (A) - Frawley to miss also.
Rd.7 - Melb (H) - Frawley to miss also.
Rd.8 - Syd (H) - Frawley to 50/50.
Rd.9 - GC (H)
Rd.10 - Stkilda (A)
Rd.11 - Adelaide (A)
Rd.12 - Essendon (H)

It wouldn't be fun to play Sydney without Lake or Frawley in the squad.

upload_2015-4-25_17-31-35.png

I didn't single him out. I merely mentioned his pressure-induced miss which would've given us a huge chance.
Yeah, re-read your post sorry my mistake

And similar numbers with regards the Essendon game also!....Our brains trust in the box have been exposed....There is a definitive pattern emerging here!

We give little credence to opposition strengths & in negating them.....We have been worked-Out!

Port were missing both Gray & Wines tonite & yet we still got pantsed out of the middle!....Disconcerting to say the least.

All of Clarko, Ratten & Bolton have their work cut out for them in addressing these quite obvious flaws!

We are getting done in the midfield. Essendon and Ports sharp quick handballs out to their runners is beating us. I don't believe we're slow out of the blocks..I think good teams have worked us out, and of course we were going to get worked out..staying ahead of the game is the game....

Forget about Lake going down tonight. We were already down the porcelain lady. We got midfield issue with good teams and we got out no' of entries and our lack of conversions in front of goal.

The Hawks brains trust have their work cut out.

Last edited:
Port found it far too easy to win contested ball.
Stemming early opposition run is something Clarkson & co desperately need to address. We've some great, experienced minds at the helm so I'm hardly concerned.

Give the coach bashing a rest mate, Clarko has coached us to 3 flags and we are far from out of it. It's not like we had Frawley or Spanger available to rest Lake. If he hadn't played and we lost why do I get the feeling you would be blaming the coaches for not playing him? The players had a horrible first quarter and Port played out of their skins, we almost reeled it back in and I don't see how the injury Lake copped had anything to do with him playing his 4th game in a row...

I point the finger where it needs to be directed....And will not apologize for it.

There is a good argument that we have in fact, had the most gifted & talented list in the entire comp for a good 5 years now & that 2 Premierships is a base-line success-rate based upon this supposition....A premise for which I fully concur!

As for Lake & his injury....It is well known industry wide, that tired & fatigued players are far more prone to injury/break-down....Much less a bloke who is 33 & we are fully reliant upon post the Frawley/Spangher injuries....The chance to rest him presented itself last week....Fully forseeable & Dumb coaching!

Not sure about that, always hard to win in Adelaide, but the loss to Essendon is something that could bite us in the bum. Good teams should never lose to Essendon.

My comments were couched from within an inside 50 differential alone.....We murdered them both & yet conspired to lose in spite of it.....That all comes down to game-plans & the coaches box!

The only way to explain HOW a team can lose with such a huge advantage is in being out-coached through defensive set-ups to counter our dominance!

Trouble is though...We have now lost 2 games we should have won....We won the inside 50's in both by a huge margin & still lost!

That's not just a co-incidence, it's a massive concern!....Our coaching box has gotten lazy & reliant on last year's game-plans!

Combine that with our first quarters against both those opposition sides & a certain sense of apathy appears to have taken hold!

Add to this our current lack of tall defensive stocks....We're in trouble!

We have been in trouble before. We will sort this out . Our coach is no fool , his mind will be working overtime. And remember the other clubs are gunning for us, but yes we have some injury troubles and we have overcome that before, I wouldn't be too worried yet. Hawthorn can still put on the after burners even after playing like a pack of disorganised donkeys in the first quarter.

But bad start are killers , needs to be addressed. Like the grand final massacre and our relentless uncles and dads from the eighties teams , we need murder in our minds, as soon as the siren starts the game . FROM NOW ON HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bartell did a medial last week. I suppose we could use this as a good estimate on how long Lake will be out for.

Next 8 games are:
Rd.5 - North (A) - Frawley to miss also.
Rd.6 - GWS (A) - Frawley to miss also.
Rd.7 - Melb (H) - Frawley to miss also.
Rd.8 - Syd (H) - Frawley to 50/50.
Rd.9 - GC (H)
Rd.10 - Stkilda (A)
Rd.11 - Adelaide (A)
Rd.12 - Essendon (H)

It wouldn't be fun to play Sydney without Lake or Frawley in the squad.

View attachment 127825

Put simply need to win the next 8 straight. Manageable. I think north is the toughest assignment. Sydney beatable on our turf.

Adelaide away a while away.

Hate this losing feeling. It stings! Twice in a fortnight! F UCK!

KOLOKOTRONIS

I

You will clean them up. At least I can see the Ryder factor starting to appear, with Lobbe and Westhoff rotating up forward. Personally Westy, Wingaurd are way off the pace at the moment, will be tough to get up for showdown, everybody out there looked buggered.

Thought Whitecross was very good tonight. We fought back well but it was lost in the first quarter. Seriously though, how many goals did Port kick out of their arse? :rolleyes:
This, especially Hartlett's bullshit goal from the boundary. Was Malceski/Goodes '12 GF all over again.

It's worrying that when we're getting beaten this year, we're getting ******* beaten. The Bombers are a 6-8 side and they cut us up easily when they were on. Port are a top 4 side and they completely destroyed us when they were at their peak tonight. We looked defenceless on both occasions, especially in the midfield.

With Brand out for about 4 months, though I think he won't play at all this year given he will be facing an uphill battle to be fit by seasons end, then there's Lake, Frawley and Spangher who are also out for extended periods, we do have the option of nominating one rookie. I would promote Heatherley to the senior list otherwise we may have to play Schoenmakers down back for the next month and that's something I don't want to see.

Just looked at the fixture. We beat North and we got 5-2 with the Swans at G, we like them there so lets say we win that, we then have the Saints and Suns. We should really go 8-2, worst case 7-3 and we have all key defenders back. Top 4 and top 2 are still very very gettable.

It's between Liquorland and Shoey for the KPD spot. Lithers has been played a lot at full back for Box Hill, and Shoey the swing man. Their games for Box Hill tomorrow are massive for either of their careers at the Hawks imo.

Just looked at the fixture. We beat North and we got 5-2 with the Swans at G, we like them there so lets say we win that, we then have the Saints and Suns. We should really go 8-2, worst case 7-3 and we have all key defenders back. Top 4 and top 2 are still very very gettable.

Only Top 2 will get it done so far as a flag is concerned....Our history alone tells you That....Also, coming 3rd or 4th means a definite trip interstate, meaning we will be copping a canning from the umps & crowd much like we copped tonight!

The Norf game is now a must win, which then allows us the luxury to recover our stocks & drop another 2 games coming home, while still securing 2nd spot.

History dictates that a 17-5 record will get you second most times, while 18-4 always will!....2011 was a definite anomaly.

Don't apologise.

How'd you rate Punky's performance tonight? Should've nailed that easy shot on the run.
There's been something wrong with Breust all year, yeah he's kicked 11 goals but he got his first assist for the year tonight, he's been fumbling a lot and he hasn't been chasing hard, he's done that before but just hasn't looked on really.

Thought he got himself involved in the fourth, looked a bit better but still is off where I thought he would be at this point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back