Autopsy Round 4 v Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Lamentable preparation....Only 1 way Port was ever going to win that game & we let them!....Poor coaching!

Inside forward 50 needs a tonne of work, also stoppages!

Ultimately, we never learnt from last year & this time they kicked straight.

Hinkley gave Clarko a bath tonight!....This game was lost from the box, make no bones about it!
Agree with everything here. You can't win games playing 2 or 1 and 1/2 quarters. Outcoached by the fact that clarkson should have known they Port were going to run this game early.

Come on... 79 to 43 inside 50's!!!!..we got done by 8 goals in the first quarter and lost by 9 points. Something is wrong with this equation!!

We'll be lucky to make top 4 this year. I just don't see it the way we are playing across the whole game and our kicking for goal.

If you need to stoop to the lowest common denominator in order to reply then don't bother!

Give reasons & offer arguments....This ain't the Richmond board!

Your opposite comparison is apt for the last quarter but not the whole game....Would have thought that to be obvious!
Take it easy sweetheart, dont get your knickers in a knot, we're all angry we lost :rolleyes:

Premiership teams don't let their opposition kick 8 goals to 1 in the space of a single quarter of football!

It was clear before this game that the ambush was on & yet we still got exposed despite it.

Bad signs all round!....The Lake injury & lack of a rest only serves to compound the lack of nous emanating from the coaching panel thus far this season!
I totally agree. Mostly to do with the midfield, but as you say it also includes a poor forward setup. Roughead and Gunston are supposed to be our tall forwards, tall defenders and midfielders.

Good display by the Hawks to fight from a very hard position to come back from. There was no stage the players look liked they thought they couldn't win, something a lot of teams don't have. This game only enhanced my position hawks will be a premiership threat again this year. The way most fans were over reacting in the game day thread is beyond comical. I'm glad i only affiliate with some of you on an internet forum, I don't think i could ever tolerate some of you in a more social scene.

Geez, some need to Chill out.

look what Richmond did after a similar start last year and what we did.

We dominated 80% of that game. Just need to work on a few things, finishing and tackling especially.

Disagree, Port's burst game style will allow then to score 1-2-3 goals in quick succession, we started poorly, but Lake going down cost us 3-4 goals before we could adjust. IMO Port capitalised on this, before we looked to have regained control of the footy towards the end of the 1st.

Not sure how that's disagreeing. Basically agreeing we weren't switched on for their burst.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with everything here. You can't win games playing 2 or 1 and 1/2 quarters. Outcoached by the fact that clarkson should have known they Port were going to run this game early.

Come on... 79 to 43 inside 50's!!!!..we got done by 8 goals in the first quarter and lost by 9 points. Something is wrong with this equation!!

We'll be lucky to make top 4 this year. I just don't see it the way we are playing across the whole game and our kicking for goal.

And similar numbers with regards the Essendon game also!....Our brains trust in the box have been exposed....There is a definitive pattern emerging here!

We give little credence to opposition strengths & in negating them.....We have been worked-Out!

Port were missing both Gray & Wines tonite & yet we still got pantsed out of the middle!....Disconcerting to say the least.

All of Clarko, Ratten & Bolton have their work cut out for them in addressing these quite obvious flaws!

Last week Brian was on and we were terrible.. Blinkers off! Our defence gets scored on easily compared to the inside 50 rate.

Would love to know goals against/inside 50s and compare to other top 4 sides. We'd be way way off.

I think our defenders do well under circumstances that always seem to be where we are covering someone in the back line because some ones injured or out, or suspended.

I think we have a great defence ,the last quarter on a rotten night saw Port load its back line up, and we had so many missed shots, and our defenders or one or two were sitting in Ports forward line by themselves. It showed me that the last quarter was simply hold on for dear life for Port. When we fire up our defenders are fine, but Port were in panic mode , it was a weird game.

They were so far in front they should have attacked like maniacs just one to three last quarter goals, and our hearts are broken.

They went into, just hold on, mode. I think our defenders are fine , considering Port tried the brick wall and flood. And nearly got caught.

It looked like "one of those nights" things didn't go right, and even when we started to take over , we messed up.

Early days yet , I would hope it will never happen again.

Only consolation is , we lost by 8 points, we gained 58 points that's 2 points from 10 goals. Good comeback, but absolute desolation though WE LOST! Come back means nothing when you don't win, except you know our boys won't play like that again.

Plus Port first quarter did shoot some out of the bum, so no defender can stop that.

If we had have won , well I don't think anyone would say we should have , the first quarter was rubbish.

We do sometimes seem to take a while to get going. But you can't do that against Port. That's something that needs some thought. A couple of flukes that goaled for Port were just that... flukes , maybe we win? Still first quarter that should never happen.

Geez, some need to Chill out.

look what Richmond did after a similar start last year and what we did.

We dominated 80% of that game. Just need to work on a few things, finishing and tackling especially.
Furn we are going for our first ever three-peat.

In our entire history THIS IS OUR BIGGEST YEAR.

We have half a dozen players at least who are not going 100 percent.

If there isn't a time to over react I don't know one :)

This really was a game of two halfs. Our first half was terrible, with Port on fire. Our second half was a lot better, and was the football I expected us to play for the whole game. To come back from 58 points down, and to only lose by 7 against a respectable Port defence with only two on the interchange gives me the impression of holding our heads up high. However, that first quarter was unacceptable. Here are my positives and negatives from the game.

Positives: 1. The comeback: Being 58 points down with two injured saps moral. With the Port Adelaide crowd roaring, we could easily have just stopped trying: but everyone didn't give up. Led by Burgoyne, our boys kept trying and there has to be a sense of pride about that.
2. The Three Musketeers: Hartung (19 possessions and a goal) wasn't expecting to play a whole game. Hill (18 possessions and a goal was just coming back from an injury. Led by Smith (28 possessions and two goals), all three of them had their moments and were enjoyable to watch.
3. Backline (second half): Fun fact; Birchall was our tallest defender in the backline at 192 centimetres. Gibbo and Stratton are only 189. Westhoff and Ryder are 200 centimetres. All things considered, our backline performed solidly and actually kept Port goalless in the last quarter (Only 3 for them in the second half). Duryea and Suckling looked composed (apart from the occasional shank) and worked well together.
4. Statistics: We shouldn't have lost this game. If you look at the stats, we won almost every single statistic and demolished Port in inside 50's. Yet to be so far behind and still win in a lot of areas is great to see, and show that if not for these shocking starts and injuries we would have had a really good chance to win.

Negatives: 1. The first half: The most pathetic first quarter I've seen in a long time. That wasn't Hawthorn playing, and I'm sure that this slow starting business will be swiftly addressed. It's cost us two games now.
2. Roughead: I respect this guy greatly, but today he was soundly beaten. As our key forward, we need him to kick at least 2-3 and take marks. Being held goalless is really not an option. I believe he only took three marks for the whole game. Throwing him in the middle means Ceglar and Gunston are our only talls, and today only Gunners delivered.
3. Ruckmen: Winning the hitouts is good to see. Watching insipid efforts is not. No marking, linking or tackling. Ceglar had two possessions, while McEvoy had nine. Ceglar should consider himself lucky that Hale is injured because he was probably our worst.
4. Injuries: The injury toll mounts as Puopolo and Lake go down this week. Our defence has been decimated this year, with Gibbo, Birchall, Brand, Spangher, Frawley and now Lake all spending time on the sidelines. The stupid umpire injuring Poppy's quad seems to have come back to bite us.

Overall, my feelings are mixed between pride at us coming back despite injuries and a massive margin and disgust that we were in a position to be so badly beaten. Still, the fact that the boys had enough soul to keep trying is a good sign. Im not filthy like the Essendon loss, but I'm not happy. We need to address these slow starts immediately.

And similar numbers with regards the Essendon game also!....Our brains trust in the box have been exposed....There is a definitive pattern emerging here!

We give little credence to opposition strengths & in negating them.....We have been worked-Out!

Port were missing both Gray & Wines tonite & yet we still got pantsed out of the middle!....Disconcerting to say the least.

All of Clarko, Ratten & Bolton have their work cut out for them in addressing these quite obvious flaws!

We were missing Spanger and Lake off early then Poppy.

First quarter disgraceful.

Of course we will be worked out, it what other coaches do. We are the duel premiers .

But we got a bloke that is sometimes 1 or 2 seasons in front of everyone else and will plan to fit. And solve!

He has done it since he arrived. AC!!!!!!!

I saw enough to strengthen my belief Hawthorn will win the flag again, or at the least be there in October.

We only need to make top 4 and we're there. Lake and Frawley's injuries are like the big ones early last year, at the best possible time.

Swiss stays that is all

Disagree. Great story and all that but he was costly tonight. If someone goes out next week he's first in line for me.

Not sure how that's disagreeing. Basically agreeing we weren't switched on for their burst.
Yeah, probably just wanted to make the point (badly) that take out the period immediately after lakes injury and were really didn't have that bad a first qtr.

I think we are testing ourselves to see whether we can have more injuries than last year and still win a premiership. The backline injuries in the first 4 weeks have been ridiculous.

Gibbo injured week 1
Frawley injured week 2
Lake injured week 4

And if you ever hear another Port supporter complain about umpiring decision, just deck 'em

Bruest needs to lift. Has had an ordinary 4 weeks by his standards.
Whitecross is a going to be real bonus this year.
That game will do more for Hartung's development than getting a run when we are belting a side.
Duryea made some seriously poor decisions
Ports fitness was exposed as a myth once more. They have speed, but that is a different argument. We had two on the bench and were coming off a 6 day break
Gibbo was awesome again.

It is a long season. We'll be right

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back