Autopsy Round 5 2014 - Brisbane v Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Just curious, but is everyone aware that we are talking about an 18 yr old playing his fifth game?
^^^This.:thumbsu:
I don't get the criticism either:confused:
I don't even see the "other boys are better" type comparisons. Some of the stuff from the other draftees have been flashy, exciting and VERY promising BUT,
if I had to pick one who I'd prefer to have the ball in the hands of, it would still be Aish. He just seems to have a more mature and polished look about his choices and execution. Very reliable and smart user of the ball. This is by no means a knock on the other lads, Taylor, Robertson and Cutler all offering plenty in their games, but wouldn't have any of them ahead of Aish.
Loved the bit of mongrel in Dizzy last night. I imagine training with the likes of Maguire and Brown would really bring a young defender out of their shell and give them confidence to niggle and take on the big names of AFL. He didn't take a backward step, did he?

Great point!
I watch till his rotation (him) just to see his work off the ball , which I think is pretty good.
Watch the whole game but sometimes get drawn to Nick, only natural?
It's surreal, really strange ATM.
This time lady year he was at home training with West a Perth, today lines up on Cotchin!
Fully understand the natural urge to watch your son, we all would do the same! ( I'm the team manager for my son's u14 team and I have to remind myself to watch the game and not just him....makes it hard when deciding best players for the paper;) )
Thanks for your contributions, we can all live the experience of what it's like having a son play AFL, through your words and thoughts.:thumbsu:

Was it 3 or 4 times we got the turnover, had a free player 15m away and we kicked right over the top of his head? I mean really that is just appalling.

^^^This.:thumbsu:
I don't get the criticism either:confused:
I don't even see the "other boys are better" type comparisons. Some of the stuff from the other draftees have been flashy, exciting and VERY promising BUT,
if I had to pick one who I'd prefer to have the ball in the hands of, it would still be Aish. He just seems to have a more mature and polished look about his choices and execution. Very reliable and smart user of the ball. This is by no means a knock on the other lads, Taylor, Robertson and Cutler all offering plenty in their games, but wouldn't have any of them ahead of Aish.
Loved the bit of mongrel in Dizzy last night. I imagine training with the likes of Maguire and Brown would really bring a young defender out of their shell and give them confidence to niggle and take on the big names of AFL. He didn't take a backward step, did he?
I dunno... Cutler looks very promising and didn't waste anything that I recall, adapted to the AFL speed extremely fast and looked like a 100 gamer. For a second gamer who played so well against a Richmond side that tackled very well he was IMO the best out of the noobs with ball in hand.

Not sure if anyone else picked it up in the browny interview after the game but he said he is pretty sure that that may be his last milestone game - pretty sure - does this mean he is still thinking of going on next season??

Don't criticise anyone in their first year it's not very nice. We should all be a lot nicer. Our first year players are perfect in every single way. Nobody can say anything mean about them.

Fully understand the natural urge to watch your son, we all would do the same! ( I'm the team manager for my son's u14 team and I have to remind myself to watch the game and not just him....makes it hard when deciding best players for the paper;) )
Thanks for your contributions, we can all live the experience of what it's like having a son play AFL, through your words and thoughts.:thumbsu:
Mate I coached Nick in under 14s and under 15s
There were plenty of games in the 14s when I was giving the votes that he was best by a mile and I didn't give him the votes and that year he was runners up bf
The following year I didn't do the voting at all and he won it.
We do focus on our own a bit too much I spose but that's parenting, we also can discriminate sometimes as well too much do as not to seem bias.
Balance is good!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if anyone else picked it up in the browny interview after the game but he said he is pretty sure that that may be his last milestone game - pretty sure - does this mean he is still thinking of going on next season??

Doubt it. That was a special performance last night but it was 95 percent heart. The end is still nigh.

Enjoy this remarkable man's swansong season.

He'd need to play on in 2015 and 2016 to get another milestone.

Surprised by all the love for Clarke's game. I think he's definitely a future pillar of our defence, but he's suffering from a shocking case of second year blues so far this season. Didn't see him execute a single switch correctly last night. Either missed his target completely, or gave it so much air that an opponent had time to get to the contest.

Agree that Robbo and Cutler are a couple of gems — what an awesome inside-outside combo this pair will be for us for the next decade (fingers crossed)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Body size is a big problem for us at the moment. The strength, size, experience and fitness difference with playing a young side puts us behind. For all their effort, the young ones make some silly mistakes, over running the ball or the player, allowing them to get around them easy. Being young also means tackles dont stick, or when they do they arent effective enough to prevent an effect disposal.

Going the other way, we arent strong enough to get those disposals off, and cant break tackles, dont quiet run to the right spots. It makes the difference, but the positive is this is all stuff that will be corrected with time. TBH I am still amazed we have 4 first year playerswho appear to be able to play seniorfooty in their first year. They make mistakes, and have a long way to go yet, but as a base starting point its very promising.

I think Aish and Taylor will play the majority of the year, Robbo and Cutler maybe 10-12 depending on injuries, very good return and will really help their development this year.

Interesting that Robertson, Cutler and possibly Taylor have passed Aish. It's going to be interesting to see if Aish can add another string to his bow or if he'll end up as an accumulator.

I don't think that at all. Aish is one of the best users of the footy, just needs to find a bit more ball. Simply he can't run out games, needs a rest for a week. When he builds up his tank and finds more ball he will easily surpass all those players. Like I have stated before Aish, Mayes and Rich are the three players I am most comfortable with having the ball in their hands.

Impressed with Paine's game. Only three disposals but he was involved with almost every play near our fifty and laid some good tackles - would have had two goals before 3 quarter time if Mcgaune wasn't bad, not sure how someone misses a 15m kick with no pressure. He'll look much better in the second half of the year with a bit more experience.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back