Round 5 2014: Geelong vs Hawthorn - MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

IF we're talking injuries, may as well drag em out for comparison sake.

Mitch Brown Test
Josh Caddy Foot fracture Round 12
A. Christensen Back surgery Round 11
Shane Kersten Knee surgery Round 11
Daniel Menzel Ruptured ACL Indefinite
Steven Motlop Knee surgery Round 7
Billie Smedts Leg bone bruising Round 6
Nathan Vardy Ruptured ACL Season

Lake is better than all of those players combined, most of which wouldn't be in the team/would be fringe players anyway.

I was going to start a new thread on this but thought against it ...

but why are so many of Hawthorn's kicks - which travel at best 8 metres (and if you were very, very, very generous 10 metres) paid as marks?

I thought the minimum requirement was 15 metres?

Is there a different rule for Hawthorn because they are a star team?

There were a lot of 8 metre "marks" in the first half - but admitedly I only counted one one in the 2nd half, but often they get shots at goal with a player who passes the ball from just outside the 50 metre arc to a bloke 8 metres away within the 50 metre arc...surely it is play on?

Lake is better than all of those players combined, most of which wouldn't be in the team/would be fringe players anyway.
MaRyKVu.gif]

So you're trolling to deflect from your team losing to St.Kilda? Surely not?

It's got nothing to do with Essendon, as I said we are an average side and I am not deflecting anything. I am allowed to come on here and be happy Hawthorn lost and highlight once again that Rioli is over-rated, your the one who chose to quote my posts.

Then play Lake FFS! Your utter arrogance is the ONLY reason you lost today!

Loved C. Scott's sly dig at Hawthorn. He was saying how difficult it was to deal with their kicking game, including the ones that "only travel 10 or 12 metres".

Not to mention Gunston taking acting skills from Paupolo!

Hey I agree, but at least he got the ball...earth to Cyril did he play today? Even McEvoy was better and that is saying something!

Some of Cyril's taps were quite clever Hodge's kicks were arrogant.

it seems master coach clarko has failed to develop any decent kpd in his time at the hawks. its lake or bust for them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loved C. Scott's sly dig at Hawthorn. He was saying how difficult it was to deal with their kicking game, including the ones that "only travel 10 or 12 metres".

I will have to watch this press conference, as I didn't notice it was picked up by others...but I have noticed it for a few years and people often wonder why their kicking efficiency is so great. No doubt they are a better kicking team than 90% of the teams out there, but kicking 8 metres to a player is going to improve your kicking efficiency.

Luke Darcy instead of repeating over and over again how brave certain players are should probably be observing sly tactics like this. He takes 50% -75% of the commentary time- which is a shame as I would like to hear more from Leigh Matthews who gives great insight about match-ups and tactics.

Last edited:
Some of Cyril's taps were quite clever Hodge's kicks were arrogant.

Yes they were delicious...how many disposals did the 'big game player' Cyril get again? Two of his disposals were from VERY SOFT frees too!

There you are not understanding football. Buddy plays, Gunston doesn't get the number 1 defender! That said though, I'd be more blaming your defenders!

Ah, no. When Buddy played most entries were directed at him and Gunston got limited opportunities. He is able to be more of a focal point this year as a result.

I'm blaming our midfield more than our defence

Yes they were delicious...how many disposals did the 'big game player' Cyril get again? Two of his disposals were from VERY SOFT frees too!

I never called him a big game player.

Ah, no. When Buddy played most entries were directed at him and Gunston got limited opportunities. He is able to be more of a focal point this year as a result.

I'm blaming our midfield more than our defence

Gunston kicked multiples in the finals because he got the 2nd defender, it is much easier that way. You need another focal point and too often your so called focal point was in defence!

Your midfield was hardly the worst, Cheney and Gibson were, they were dreadful.

I never called him a big game player.

He did squat today, might as well have played 1 man down, all he was doing was falling over all game. Dead set I thought it was Nick Kommer out there!

IF we're talking injuries, may as well drag em out for comparison sake.

Mitch Brown Test
Josh Caddy Foot fracture Round 12
A. Christensen Back surgery Round 11
Shane Kersten Knee surgery Round 11
Daniel Menzel Ruptured ACL Indefinite
Steven Motlop Knee surgery Round 7
Billie Smedts Leg bone bruising Round 6
Nathan Vardy Ruptured ACL Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back