Review Round 5, 2015: Essendon v Box Hill Hawks, 16 May 2015, 12.00pm @ Windy Hill

May 29, 2010
The Tree Lodge
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
SF 49ers, Arsenal
Unfortunately, with Lewis and Smith returning, and Billy having a really good game, Jed will probably have another week at Box Hill.

That shouldn't be a problem for him and he needs to string some performances together anyway. He has always shown to be a level above when playing VFL and had a great preseason yet seems to struggle at AFL this season. he has shown in the past that he can play at the highest level. Not sure what the problem is but he just needs to keep putting in his best week in week out and the Clarkson et al will manage his return to AFL when they think he is ready and the opportunities open up.

Aug 13, 2006
Thailand
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks.
That shouldn't be a problem for him and he needs to string some performances together anyway. He has always shown to be a level above when playing VFL and had a great preseason yet seems to struggle at AFL this season. he has shown in the past that he can play at the highest level. Not sure what the problem is but he just needs to keep putting in his best week in week out and the Clarkson et al will manage his return to AFL when they think he is ready and the opportunities open up.

He also likes playing Sydney from memory.

deano the hawka

All Australian
Sep 29, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Exeter City, Tottenham, Utrecht
Hey guys forgot to post my summary:

O' Donnell and Mirra were huge (out of the box hill listed players). Like O' Donnell had 11 tackles I think and if it wasn't him with the ball, it was Jed. What's also confusing about that is that O' Donnell and Jed look remarkably similar!

- Anderson had a really decent game but I honestly didn't notice how he ended up with 4 goals. Lots of tackles and in and under lots of packs.
- Woodward was an absolute beast in that 2nd half. Had 6 tackles in the last quarter alone and together with Ando were at the bottom of the pack every time. Kicking I50 let him down a little bit.
- O Rourke was also pretty ferocious in the tackling but again really needs to improve on his kicking.
- Whitecross was solid without being spectacular and was cramping up heaps in the 2nd half so I think he needs to stay and build fitness.
- Sicily had a bad day out. Didn't win any marking contests and I think only kicked 1 goal which was after the siren after the game had finished. Nevertheless it was a beautiful kick from just on the 50 right on the flank.
- O' Brien didn't do much either, but took a fantastic contested mark in the forward line in a pack of like 5-6. I think he also only finished with 1 goal.
- Teia Miles had a great first half. He was in everything and I reaaally like the look of him. Looks like a Hawthorn player, he's classy like Sicily and composed with the ball. Didn't notice him as much in the 2nd half.
- Pittonet was man-handled by Jonathan Giles. He had a good game nonetheless with quite a lot of tackles and ferocity so no complaints.
- Grimley had a regular Grimmers game. He was generally lazy, Marco Bello wasn't too happy with that, but then slotted some really nice set shots (can't remember how many goals he finished with).

Who else did I miss?

Aug 15, 2009
The Riverina
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hey guys forgot to post my summary:

O' Donnell and Mirra were huge (out of the box hill listed players). Like O' Donnell had 11 tackles I think and if it wasn't him with the ball, it was Jed. What's also confusing about that is that O' Donnell and Jed look remarkably similar!

- Anderson had a really decent game but I honestly didn't notice how he ended up with 4 goals. Lots of tackles and in and under lots of packs.
- Woodward was an absolute beast in that 2nd half. Had 6 tackles in the last quarter alone and together with Ando were at the bottom of the pack every time. Kicking I50 let him down a little bit.
- O Rourke was also pretty ferocious in the tackling but again really needs to improve on his kicking.
- Whitecross was solid without being spectacular and was cramping up heaps in the 2nd half so I think he needs to stay and build fitness.
- Sicily had a bad day out. Didn't win any marking contests and I think only kicked 1 goal which was after the siren after the game had finished. Nevertheless it was a beautiful kick from just on the 50 right on the flank.
- O' Brien didn't do much either, but took a fantastic contested mark in the forward line in a pack of like 5-6. I think he also only finished with 1 goal.
- Teia Miles had a great first half. He was in everything and I reaaally like the look of him. Looks like a Hawthorn player, he's classy like Sicily and composed with the ball. Didn't notice him as much in the 2nd half.
- Pittonet was man-handled by Jonathan Giles. He had a good game nonetheless with quite a lot of tackles and ferocity so no complaints.
- Grimley had a regular Grimmers game. He was generally lazy, Marco Bello wasn't too happy with that, but then slotted some really nice set shots (can't remember how many goals he finished with).

Who else did I miss?

Howe?

Box Hill reserves starting to assert some ascendancy over the Blues - 10.6.66 to 7.6.48. Lachie Langford just snapped a goal to extend the Hawks' lead.

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
DEVELOPMENT final scores; BOX HILL 17.9.111 Defeated Northern Blues 10.9.69....Ran over the top of em in the second half.

Goals: Franetic 5, Traynor 3, Jones 2,SOCCIO Burt, Dimasi, Gibson, Langford, Tatupu, KIDD.
Best; Fisher, Franetic, Hardisty, Gibson, Burt, Munks.

According to VFL Score-center site.

Last edited:

burner1

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawks
Do BH watchers think Jed and woody can transfer their play at BH to afl level? I have concerns that, despite being super hard at the ball they're both too small to play as inside mids as everyone at agl level is just as hard but most have 10kgs+ on them.

All of tob, Sicily and grimley have the talent to dominate at vfl but never do - what is the issue? Intensity seems to be one issue - but is a hard one to fix.

deano the hawka

All Australian
Sep 29, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Knew I would miss someone!
Dallas was pretty average, didn't play forward much at all but just didn't have a good game. Last quarter he went in harder and got a few hard ball gets and tackles but yeah nothing too special

deano the hawka

All Australian
Sep 29, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Do BH watchers think Jed and woody can transfer their play at BH to afl level? I have concerns that, despite being super hard at the ball they're both too small to play as inside mids as everyone at agl level is just as hard but most have 10kgs+ on them.

All of tob, Sicily and grimley have the talent to dominate at vfl but never do - what is the issue? Intensity seems to be one issue - but is a hard one to fix.

Work rate just doesn't seem to be there. Sicily is classy but didn't pull in any contested marks but danced around and kept his feet when the ball was on the ground. But didn't see him doing any gut running.
Grimley work rate isn't great either. TOB too.

Woodward can do it at AFL level. Anyone who gets 11-12 tackles a game you know just has the desire for a game. He deserves a shot. I just wish he could kick better, it's so basic what separates VFL players and Hawthorn senior players. Jono O Rourke as well struggled to kick well so that's the main constraint

Back