Discussion Round 5, 2015: Guernsey Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

A clash guernsey isn't completely necessary, but it does make the matchup more visually appealing... something totally essential in today's day & age of Billion-dollar TV deals, news-orientated timeslots and an over-particular sporting society.
Unless the two clubs are Big Vics.

have a feeling north may have a special jumper for the 40 year anniversary of the 1975 premiership team. not confirmed though

Matchday Strips Reflecting a Reasonably Professional Organisation

Carlton_Heritage2_zps3cdc612a.png
Collingwood_Clash_zps7c86a6f4.png

Richmond_Home_zps197d5ca1.png
Geelong_Away_zps1d4ae373.png

Sydney_Home_zps23908bab.png
Footscray_Home_zps794a2101.png

Gold_Home_zps79d31608.png
okySnrS.png

4SYfTxQ.png
oDOWl5o.png

WestCoast_Away3_zpsb2819812.png
GWS_Away_zps4148931b.png

Melbourne_Home_zpscfb9005f.png
Fremantle_Clash_zpsc8800d92.png

StKilda_Home_zps307cc8f6.png
Essendon_Clash1_zpse1a5fd57.png

XyqFubN.png
Port_Clash_zps5153056b.png

yep. this is practically spot on.

only change would be for WCE. as much as most of us hate it, their home kit is the navy-based tri-panel and clubs are entitled to wear the home kit that they choose. we nor the AFL should decide that for them. thing is, if it IS their home kit, they should wear it in finals too and the AFL must enforce it. this is something WCE don't do.

Last edited:
Is everyone agreed on the lions and suns kits clashing? This video shows what it would look like if we both wore our home jumper and I'm not 100% that our clash is required...

once the camera gets further away from the play, they do blend. professional broadcasting with cutting to wider shots and regular changes of camera angles (e.g. behind goals) is where this kit match-up is tested. it's also compounded with both team kit designs being solid, i.e., no stripes or hoops to break up similarity, and it doesn't help that both clubs minor colour and numbers are gold/yellow. definitely needs the away team in an alternate kit.

best example I can see of what would happen overseas in such a kit match-up is Barca vs Man Utd.

these are the full home kits:
manchester-united-vs-barcelona-final-champions-league-wallpaper-1584150381.jpg

this is what they wore against each other in the Champions League Final:
Lionel+Messi+Rio+Ferdinand+Barcelona+v+Manchester+x7TWVmsBlM5l.jpg

not sure where to put this with the new jumpers for 2015 thread closed (all the more reason for a general guernsey discussion thread IMO)
Northern Blues moved on from Nike this year.
11188396_10152908532233178_1704362279405487385_n.jpg
And the takeover of the Preston Football Club is complete. Might as well just go ahead and call themselves Carlton, they don't even play at Preston anymore.

It's actually a bit sad, even as a Port supporter.

LEDified signage is still up at Linen House, and still on our clash jumper. (This photo's from today)

11168080_10153029329383183_1216676829411881576_n.jpg

The LEDified website is still up, and still has "proudly sponsoring St Kilda Football Club" on the front page. I wonder if it just had to do with us playing in New Zealand. At a guess that would have pumped up our sponsorship value for that round, so maybe they just opted out for that round.

We'll see the debut of the Port Adelaide showdown guernsey this week.

I'm not a huge fan of it and I don't really see it as necessary, but we'll see how it goes. I think it will work better when we're the away team this week, as opposed to with black shorts.

We'll see the debut of the Port Adelaide showdown guernsey this week.

I'm not a huge fan of it and I don't really see it as necessary, but we'll see how it goes. I think it will work better when we're the away team this week, as opposed to with black shorts.
Possibility of white shorts in home AND away Showdowns maybe? :p

don't they have a red clash jumper?
surely that's enough to keep Preston alive:rolleyes:
I'm told there is no red strip this year at all, they wear Carltons white when there is a clash. The only allusion to the club is a tiny PFC on the back of the neck of the jumper.

If there were any Bullants supporters left, they'd be devastated, and being that Preston was a Collingwood area makes it even worse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is everyone agreed on the lions and suns kits clashing? This video shows what it would look like if we both wore our home jumper and I'm not 100% that our clash is required...

I think I see now why both Qld teams are struggling - playing like a bunch of sheilas! :p

Possibility of white shorts in home AND away Showdowns maybe? :p
If we the white number panel in our home game and crows wear white shorts, it'll look awful.

It's a matchup seen in the SANFL every 2nd week; not terrible but just silly.
Oh yeah. Good point. I know. It is terrible Still.

Ideally in the sanfl the away team would never wear white shorts unless their guernsey was too.

Norwood/Port clashes can be horrible when N'ord wear white shorts. They should be red shorts. Glenelg yellow.

Jesus its frustrating that 'professional' organisations can't comprehend the idea of minimising like colours between teams.

I thought Brisbane wore it purely to give the clash some exposure?

Would Gold Coast wear their clash against Brisbane for the same reason?
Not sure, maybe. I just remember someone saying something along those lines last year. Brisbane needed a game to advertise it in, since it would otherwise hardly be worn, so they decided to wear it in the Q Clash.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back