Preview Round 5 Changes and Discussion Vs North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Wells carved him up last time.
His stats looked good, but is influence was seriously nullified. Wells' strength is that he only needs about 20 disposals to break the game open which he didnt against us, he could have had 40 disposals and if he had the same influence with his disposals like he did against us last year than he wouldnt have had much difference to the final result.

Wells carved him up last time.
He will carve him up again if he plays on him.

Harvey is their best player and we need to stop his influence. Dal Santo is a player that has been severely overrated for a long time, put him under pressure and he folds but no one can lift North as much as Boomer can and if he is kept quiet we are half way closer to a win.

They have a lot of midfield depth, we may have the better midfielders but their depth is really quality Bastinac, Harvey, Dal Santo, Ziebel, Cunnington and Wells are all really good midfielders.

The forward lines for both sides are pretty even but I think we are ahead but back line wise they are ahead slightly and that will be the deciding factor in why North will win in the end.

If we are going to "rest" Brodie this is the week to do it, with a 6 day break afterwards leading into the biggest home and away game of the year.

I hope we don't play Brown, I'd save him for ANZAC day too.

Essendon are going to have a practice match against St Kilda while we go to war for three hours against North, we need to be smart in our selection for both games.
A football games go's for 3 hours doe's it, I didn't know quarters went for 45 minutes these days ;-)

lol yeah, we can afford to rest players. :drunk:
Grundy should get a few rests during the season to keep him as fresh as possible.
Just turned 20 so we also have to look long-term. It'll be a tragedy if his career is shortened due to too many miles while he was still a youngster.

Not sure why everyone wants to rest Grundy for an important game, if he is fit he plays. We go into the game knowing he can only run out 3 quarters, but still think he is the best option

Grundy should get a few rests during the season to keep him as fresh as possible.
Just turned 20 so we also have to look long-term. It'll be a tragedy if his career is shortened due to too many miles while he was still a youngster.
We have a bye in only a few weeks and a few softer games thereafter. If he needs a rest he'll get it then. If he needs to be nursed after four rounds simply because he is unfit then he is not ready and shouldn't be playing at all yet. If he is first ruck he is first ruck. This is a crucial game.

Why try and fix what's not broke.

No changes this week, although Blair is on thin ice.

So many players id love to see come in, but everyone dipped in last week, so why change that?

So many players id love to see come in, but everyone dipped in last week, so why change that?

Agreed, only one I would like to come in is Brown, not sure who he replaces. But I think 3 talls will help as North are particularly tall

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only one you could probably drop back there is Langdon, but has he really played that bad?

If as some suggest Firrito will play on Witts/Grundy, then I would isolate them in the goal square, Witts in particular would monster Firrito in the air, this would require that a small come in with the flight of the ball to crumb, but I am not sure if we have one. By playing White & Cloke up the ground it may give them more freedom and less likely to be double teamed.

If as some suggest Firrito will play on Witts/Grundy, then I would isolate them in the goal square, Witts in particular would monster Firrito in the air, this would require that a small come in with the flight of the ball to crumb, but I am not sure if we have one. By playing White & Cloke up the ground it may give them more freedom and less likely to be double teamed.
Hansen will probably go to the resting ruck up forward, with Thompson on Cloke and Grima on White. Playing your ruck deep near to Cloke will allow Hansen to get on his bike to be third man up, a role in which he kills it. Spud will play on a medium in place of Jamie Macmillan, who broke his leg two weeks ago.

Agreed whole-heartedly about Blair. We can barely afford to carry one mid/fwd (Luke Ball) who can't make the distance from a 40m set-shot but definitely not two or more.

We've got to get players into the side who can kick the ball fast and low. Its not just the distance that a player can kick that makes them effective/ineffective, its the hang-time that it takes for the ball to cover that distance. We have too many player who kick high floaters that hang in the air for an eternity, which allows the opposition plenty of time to recover their positions and spoil. I cite Ball, Blair, Maxwell, Sinclair, Sidebottom, Toovey, Carke and Adams as examples. Freo, Hawks, Bombers and Cats would barely have one or two player each in that category. We have at loads of them. Its not foot-speed that maks these teams look fast, its the speed of their ball movement.

We need more players who can run 20m with the ball and then fire a laser-pass to leading players Cloke, White, Reid & Elliott. Need to bring in Seedsman & Dwyer as soon as they're available, plus whichever of our recent years' draftees who also have these skills.

Blair's no danger of being dropped I wouldn't think. He is coming off a limited preparation but is well entrenched in our best 22. Don't forget it was only last year that he won the Gavin Brown Award for courage/desire indicators. He's rated highly by the coaching staff and rightly so.
If he's getting 5/6 tackles and a goal a game as a small forward, not sure what else you need.

Blair's no danger of being dropped I wouldn't think. He is coming off a limited preparation but is well entrenched in our best 22. Don't forget it was only last year that he won the Gavin Brown Award for courage/desire indicators. He's rated highly by the coaching staff and rightly so.
If he's getting 5/6 tackles and a goal a game as a small forward, not sure what else you need.

I guess it comes down to being forced out, at the moment I see Langdon, Blair & Witts as the 19-22.

Witts is fairly simple, when Reid is ready he comes out and White goes into 2nd ruck
Langdon, is going to be forced out eventually by Sinclair / Williams.
With Brown coming back, do they go with 2 or 3 talls, probably depends on match ups
I think where Blair will struggle if Adams is demanding a spot, who else is there to come out?

Tough game this one. Both teams are in red hot form but im tipping Colingwood to be too strong, winning by 19. Good luck! If North want a chance of winning they need to shut down Pendlebury.

If Ziebell goes head to head with Pendlebury, it'll be a contest to watch. Might get a few pains in the left arm with this game. ;)

If Ziebell goes head to head with Pendlebury, it'll be a contest to watch. Might get a few pains in the left arm with this game. ;)
every game you watch pendles, your just in awe of his skill, how he finds so much time in such a little space, makes it look so easy.
Theres only 1 thing stopiing him from being the best player in the game, and that's his kicking for goal.

every game you watch pendles, your just in awe of his skill, how he finds so much time in such a little space, makes it look so easy.
Theres only 1 thing stopiing him from being the best player in the game, and that's his kicking for goal.

Yeah that and Gary Ablett.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back