Preview Round 5 Changes and Discussion Vs North Melbourne

ArjenTheGreat

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2005
Arden St
AFL Club
North Melbourne
LOL at all these Norf flogs thinking they are going to win.

They are missing: Swallow, Ziebell, Tarrant, Daw, Garner, Harper & perhaps MacMillan out of what most of their flogs would consider their best team. They also have young Mason Wood and Trent Dumont banging down the "daw" for a debut.

Should be a cakewalk in reality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
To be honest, this will be a bloody hard game to win, the one thing in our favour is the extra 2 days break.

Even against the Cats where we had one extra days break it showed, when we came home late and almost stole the game. If we can stay in this game till three quarter time (be within 3 goals) we can win, but the worry is that North will score heavier than we can in thos first three quarters.

It's a vital game for us more so than them, they can sit 3-2 and be content, but if we lose we go to 2-3 and then face Essendon, which will be tougher than this game even.

hellfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 21, 2007
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
FC Barcelona
Yeah this is a bit of a "must win" game if we're to do any damage this year (I don't think many of us expect us to nevertheless). North are a quality side and I tipped them for top 4 this year. They do have a few injuries but so do we, no excuses for either side there. We certainly can't take much out of round 23 last year in what was just a very open goal-fest in preservation mode for finals, but they have troubled us in recent times.

We really need to get on top early and can't allow their quality users cut us up. If our pressure is off the boil we always struggle against sides with good foot skills. Hopefully we can carry the pressure we've employed from the last two weeks into tomorrow.

DaicosianMarvels

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
To be honest, this will be a bloody hard game to win, the one thing in our favour is the extra 2 days break.

Even against the Cats where we had one extra days break it showed, when we came home late and almost stole the game. If we can stay in this game till three quarter time (be within 3 goals) we can win, but the worry is that North will score heavier than we can in thos first three quarters.

It's a vital game for us more so than them, they can sit 3-2 and be content, but if we lose we go to 2-3 and then face Essendon, which will be tougher than this game even.
North have also worked really hard on their fitness during the pre season so they won't have any trouble running out the game.

Obviously the 2 day extra break is in our favour but also recovering from the tough conditions we played in last week will make it tougher than what North had to. We stayed in Melbourne while North had to travel, so that's a plus for us but in all fairness I think the break is just a minor advantage and don't think it will make much difference in the game at all.

I am stunned with the lack of respect shown to North by some on here, North are equal if not better than us these days. This is not the Collingwood of 2010/2011, we are a much younger side (14th oldest) while North are older with more experience than us (4th oldest). There is a reason why a lot of people had them in the top 4 this year and that's because they are primed to finally have a great season.

This would be a huge win if we got up and thank god it's at the MCG.

Jul 3, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Heat, Victory, Man Utd, Redskins
Surprising that we are favourites, I suppose if the money is there though...

Think it's an important game to keep our head above water - if we lose this and lose again to Essendon (who will be hard to beat) we have to come back from 2-4 albeit with an easier draw to come. I'll be happy for two good efforts and just to grab at least one win out of the fortnight. I've got a very patient view of our current side, there is so much growth and change still to come, we will be a really exciting side towards the back of the year and next.

Hoping our structure can hold up this week as North will look to stitch us up with leg speed and more class amongst their small forwards. Got to keep it nice and compact at the back, and let our midfield weave their magic and hopefully feed Trav with a few one outs.

Kilmo

Premiership Player
Mar 17, 2014
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
It really is 50-50; I think that which ever team has this bloke in their team on the day will come away with an easy victory.

167432-b5d71c5e-93d4-11e3-831f-628faee552fc.jpg

Sep 25, 2011
The Home of Football
AFL Club
Collingwood
Obviously the 2 day extra break is in our favour but also recovering from the tough conditions we played in last week will make it tougher than what North had to.
I know it was slippery in our game but it was very open we really didn't have to put in any effort after half time...North on the other hand had a hard physical slog in pouring rain for the whole game. I think it may actually be some sort of an advantage.

rand corp

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
asia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Need to keep winning games and winning form is good form so I am comfortable with 'No Change' this week.

It really is 50-50; I think that which ever team has this bloke in their team on the day will come away with an easy victory.

167432-b5d71c5e-93d4-11e3-831f-628faee552fc.jpg

Agree, It's a 50/50 game and we are about the Same Level

Smoocher

Premiership Player
Feb 9, 2013
Sporting capital of the world
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Magpies

Exactly my thoughts. Even though people are saying we had a great pre season and are super fit a 6 day break coming off an interstate trip in very heavy conditions is going to make it tough for us. The other concern I have is that I just watched us train today and Wells did not train with the main group. He was only out there for 20 mins and did some half pace run throughs with doc/physio at his side and inspecting his calf region after each run through. If he doesn't play I can't see us winning. Should be a ripper game.

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Interesting

Wells came out onto the track about 20 minutes after the rest of the team and was doing run throughs by himself. Looked a bit sore. As for going off pointing at his calf not so sure about that.

I think we will win this game but I am worried about one thing. Our makeshift defence has been great so far but if Brown is fit he had to play. Hope this doesn't bite us on the ass.

Oh jeez, it's one day I don't look forward to every year.

It's been such a boring day so far, everything is closed and there is nothing to do. Makes the wait to tomorrow even slower.

Things are looking up...I just put the 2010 Grand Final Replay on.

Can I back the crowd to be 70 000+ with confidence?

You have 75000 members and are the superpower. We have 13000 that turn up religiously. MCC members might add another 4000.

Only way I don't make a fortune is if you too are minnows? I mean we get over 40 000 to OUR home games against the other "big sides" that are in your great shadow.

Can I back the crowd to be 70 000+ with confidence?

You have 75000 members and are the superpower. We have 13000 that turn up religiously. MCC members might add another 4000.

Only way I don't make a fortune is if you too are minnows? I mean we get over 40 000 to OUR home games against the other "big sides" that are in your great shadow.

Have you heard of Easter? You know, that time of year when people go away on holiday and spend time with family. The crowd will be between 55k-65k and 80% of that will be Collingwood.

Back