Unofficial Preview Round 5 Changes vs. Sydney Swans

slicedndiced

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2014
still sinking
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's not over reacting to suggest Colins career is at the crossroads. A senior player brought in to bolster the 22 can't get into the team when several players are out with injury. Said player then gets suspended for dog act. Was unfit on arrival after deciding to stay on holiday for an extra month, rather than hit pre season training head on, and has shown poor form in practice matches, while only having one decent game under his belt in the magoos. If this isn't enough to suggest unless he turns it around very quickly it could all be over for him, well I don't know what to tell you.

Josh on the other hand, is a young kid from the country who is no where near at career crossroads.

You just want him to fail and you hate him!:eek:

Colin's mum will have your stones for earings after that!

agree 100%

Two Questions for you ;
Which couple did you prefer Jackie Gleason and Audrey Meadows or Dezi Arnaz and Lucille Ball ?
Which show had the bigger production budget ?

late edit : Sorry about that you're probably too young to remember the honeymooners.

Yeah, JG and AM were before my time but I have watched them. I'm guessing that they had the bigger budget too.

Did love I love Lucy as a youngen.

slicedndiced

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2014
still sinking
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sylvia has 10 years of AFL experience to prove that he is in the right ballpark to deliver at this level. He has a three year contract. He is adapting to a new club and a new (more challenging) set of expectations. He may have been cruising a bit up until now, but from what I've heard and read he's been progressively working harder.

Why would he have to turn it around soon or be turfed?

Some folks seem to get very caught up in the drama of the now. In the end, it's about what people are prepared to adapt to over the longer term, and adaption usually takes some kind of time. It's when you refuse to adapt or refuse to keep trying that it's the end, and there's no sign of that with either Simpson or Sylvia.

Not necessarily.

There was an expectation from many here including myself, (even though I am no fan of his), and I assume the match committee, that he would quickly establish himself in the starting 22 and have a real impact.

He's not even close and has displayed an attitude and behaviours which are directly opposed to what we stand for.

I agree that he is skating on very thin ice.

willoblue

Club Legend
Sep 16, 2009
Melbourne CBD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Enjoi yor fish
i did take the Mrs & Jnr to the sydney aquarium 2day :)
Mrs was sad that the dugongs weren't there so I'm going to have to splash around for her in the pool when we get back 2 Melbourne :eek:
sorry for the image :oops:

back on topic: I am interested to see how Mayne goes this week. With Pav in form, Clarke providing much more than Hannath, as well as Taberner, Chris could go from the second tall target to the third or even fourth!
Is this because of the Walters injury, the brains trust are not 100% settled on second small forward to partner Ballantyne?
Hopefully he kicks few goals, as (relying on memory), he hasn't been kicking many goals of late. :thumbsu::footy:

Fred Ziffel

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
Cockburn W.A
AFL Club
Fremantle
You just want him to fail and you hate him!:eek:

Colin's mum will have your stones for earings after that!

agree 100%

Yeah, JG and AM were before my time but I have watched them. I'm guessing that they had the bigger budget too.

Did love I love Lucy as a youngen.

The honeymooners set with the table and chairs and the ice box was considered the most spartan set in hollywood.
Each episode cost about $200.00 to produce.

Fred Ziffel

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
Cockburn W.A
AFL Club
Fremantle
i did take the Mrs & Jnr to the sydney aquarium 2day :)
Mrs was sad that the dugongs weren't there so I'm going to have to splash around for her in the pool when we get back 2 Melbourne :eek:
sorry for the image :oops:

back on topic: I am interested to see how Mayne goes this week. With Pav in form, Clarke providing much more than Hannath, as well as Taberner, Chris could go from the second tall target to the third or even fourth!
Is this because of the Walters injury, the brains trust are not 100% settled on second small forward to partner Ballantyne?
Hopefully he kicks few goals, as (relying on memory), he hasn't been kicking many goals of late. :thumbsu::footy:

This could see a better match up for Chopper now. Tabs is now probably what we were trying to achieve with Gumbleton and could see Mayne playing on the third tall defender if they have one.
Probably be the first time for two years for Chop which may just see him rip a big one.
We will probably revert to the rotation of Mundy and Fyfe through half forward too. we have pretty much only seen it in the Pies game.
Suban to rotate through there as well gives us a fairly potent forward line.

strobe00

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 18, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not necessarily.

There was an expectation from many here including myself, (even though I am no fan of his), and I assume the match committee, that he would quickly establish himself in the starting 22 and have a real impact.

He's not even close and has displayed an attitude and behaviours which are directly opposed to what we stand for.

A fairly stated argument. I respectfully disagree.

I don't think the club would recruit a guy that they seriously believed would be unable to adapt to the culture and the expectations.

He clearly has the talent. He and the club thought he could fit. The guy may have issues with a short fuse, and may be cruising. But there's a fair bit of time left in his contract to see if he can deliver.

It's been a sh!t start. But peoples' expectations of how fast he'd fit in and deliver for the club are a personal thing. Looks like a few have missed the mark. Maybe sylvia and the club are amongst them.

he's still here though. I don't think he's on thin ice until he stops trying. One game isnt a signal that he's close to biting it.

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle

I don't think the club would recruit a guy that they seriously believed would be unable to adapt to the culture and the expectations.

He clearly has the talent. He and the club thought he could fit. The guy may have issues with a short fuse, and may be cruising. But there's a fair bit of time left in his contract to see if he can deliver.

It's been a sh!t start. But peoples' expectations of how fast he'd fit in and deliver for the club are a personal thing. Looks like a few have missed the mark. Maybe sylvia and the club are amongst them.

he's still here though. I don't think he's on thin ice until he stops trying. One game isnt a signal that he's close to biting it.
have a listen to the Bond interview that Gaskin just posted. Bond doesn't deny Sylvia has had trouble adjusting but from the sounds of it they are working through it and its only a matter of time before he plays for us.

Clems Knee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not necessarily.

I reckon there is a fair bit of ice left under Colin Sylvia at the moment. The club has invested a three year contract on him, and I think they will give it two years, before cutting him adrift. (Jack Anthony was retired two years into his three year contract) Which gives Sylvia a year and two thirds to sort out his approach. As he was named as an emergency just last week, he can't be that far off from doing that. The suspension is problematic, but I reckon he will get back to pressing for selection within a month.
Yes, pokerspiv's Mrs Sylvia act is annoying but let's not swing too far the other way.

slicedndiced

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2014
still sinking
AFL Club
Fremantle

It might help if he starts trying first.

yakamoto

Club Legend
May 8, 2008
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Fremantle will call a press conference for 10am on Monday. Simpson will stand in front of the microphone and apologise for letting down his team mates, his family and friends, and especially the supporters of the Fremantle Football Club.

Mar 26, 2012
Block 123
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, FC St. Pauli
Don't we have a club drone which can deliver a remote 'testicle implosion' on this journo knob.
Pretty sure I just caused him to implode a little :)

He actually used the "no you are" response on me. His job is putting words together :rolleyes:

strobe00

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 18, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
It might help if he starts trying first.

Not your best work PB.

if he wasn't trying he wouldn't care enough to have snotted mahoney last week.

Maybe he underestimated the amount of work he'd need to do to prove himself worthy of a spot in the firsts. But I'm sure he's been trying.

Back