NRL Round 5 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...ntroversial-loss/story-fn2mcuj6-1227290549466

THE New South Wales police say they have identified two people for “allegedly throwing bottles” at NRL referees and officials following Canterbury’s controversial loss to South Sydney on Friday. An ambulance had to be called after Bulldogs fans pelted the match officials with projectiles which resulted in an official being taken to hospital.

“Reports a referee was hit by a bottle while leaving the field at Stadium Australia are incorrect,” a police statement said.

“The match official was avoiding a bottle which had been thrown from the crowd when he slipped.

“He was assisted to his feet and moved to the officials room. A second official sustained a shoulder injury after falling.

“Inquiries are continuing to verify the circumstances leading up to the official being injured.”

While throwing bottles leading to refs being hurt is one thing, this is another:

Reports on social media emerged that there was fighting in the stands between Bulldogs and Rabbitohs fans which the police are investigating. “Two people were arrested for assault – one of these was for domestic violence offences,” Police said.

“In the second matter, a man is assisting with inquiries in relation to the alleged assault of another male. That person was taken to hospital further assessment.”

Yep Domestic Violence:mad:

New low for Canterbury if that was possible.

It was a penalty and the refs made the right call. Reynolds is out for 4/5 months now and that's why the rule is there, to protect the kickers legs.
As for Graham..how can a captain carry on like that??? Why would you make an agro halfwit that bites people ears off on the field a leader. Although I do love the way he plays and wears his heart on his sleeve but he has to learn to conduct himself appropriately.
As for Bulldogs fans...what a bunch of twats.
Bad day for the NRL....

Absolute howler by the ref, so much so the ref should be spending next week officiating NSW Cup (especially after he completely went on a power trip afterwards by sin binning the other Bulldogs player who called out his bad call). Perhaps if the ref had acted in a responsible manner the situation may not have escalated.

The response by the fans, however, was completely over the top. Perhaps it's time an example is set by playing a game behind closed doors. Given the other poor behaviour by the crowd today, perhaps the next Bulldogs home game should be played in an empty stadium.

(Before I get bagged for that call, I'm a Bulldogs supporter)

Last edited:

Absolute howler by the ref, so much so the ref should be spending next week officiating NSW Cup (especially after he completely went on a power trip afterwards by sin binning the other Bulldogs player who called out his bad call). Perhaps if the ref had acted in a responsible manner the situation may not have escalated.
Why was it a howler? From my understanding it was probably a penalty and at worst 50/50.

As for Klemmer, from what I've read he yelled either "you're off your ****ing face" or "you're ****ed, you're off your face" at the referee, depending on the news source. That's a little more than him "calling out a bad call". Deserved to go.

In fact the behaviour of him and your captain towards the referee was a disgrace. No matter what they may have thought of the decision, they have got to be better than that, particularly your captain.

As for Graham, well I'd be looking at him rather than the referees as a more likely reason for the poor crowd behaviour. It's hardly a secret that the Bulldogs have volatile elements in their supporter base, you don't need the captain carrying on like that with the risk of setting them off.

And why you have a loose cannon like Graham as captain in the first place I don't understand. Today showed why he is not suited for the job.

Also reports Josh Reynolds threw the kicking tee at the injured Adam Reynolds as he was being helped off the field.
Just re watched the replay on fox.
Yes josh threw the Souths kicking tee towards Adam, but at no stage was he being helped off the field. He was on the field when the restart on Morris push in the back happened and finished the game on the ground.

Last edited:
Why was it a howler? From my understanding it was probably a penalty and at worst 50/50.

As for Klemmer, from what I've read he yelled either "you're off your ****ing face" or "you're ****ed, you're off your face" at the referee, depending on the news source. That's a little more than him "calling out a bad call". Deserved to go.

In fact the behaviour of him and your captain towards the referee was a disgrace. No matter what they may have thought of the decision, they have got to be better than that, particularly your captain.

As for Graham, well I'd be looking at him rather than the referees as a more likely reason for the poor crowd behaviour. It's hardly a secret that the Bulldogs have volatile elements in their supporter base, you don't need the captain carrying on like that with the risk of setting them off.

And why you have a loose cannon like Graham as captain in the first place I don't understand. Today showed why he is not suited for the job.
Massive repercussions to come out of this match for sure. The penalty for the Graham tackle was 100% correct. The 8 point Try, I am not so sure as I thought he lost the ball. Penalty Try looked like the right decision. However, I have a feeling that J Graham is in line for a hefty suspension. His behaviour towards the refs was nothing short of disgraceful. He was definitely responsible for indirectly inciting the Doggies fans!

On a side note, look what come from the Sea Eagles v Storm match from 2011 below:

I am fairly certain that yesterday's behaviour was worse.

I dont even get how people are describing the calls made yesterday as controversial. Both were absolutely correct and the only reason there is any drama at all is one team and set of fans acted like a bunch of babies because they lost. You cant kick people in the head and you cant dive at a kickers legs. Its not exactly complicated

Bulldogs fans are *ed. The 8 point penalty was there..Souths player got over the line was kicked in the head and then kneed in the head.
The penalty at the end was there as well... The refs did their job properly and got pelted with bottles by a bunch of morons.
No wait the refs did stuff up...Graham should of been sent off for his abuse and shithouse behaviour.

I'm guessing Haslers hand was forced at the presser by the actions of the fans.
Would've loved to hear what he was going to say before the bottles got thrown.

Des has to take some responsibility here.
Every press conference he implies that the refs are cheating his team, says things like "I can't say anything because I'll get fined". Toovey does the same.
The supporters would lap this up, and be happy to abuse the refs.

His "apology" to the refs was just so fake.

As a player, I loved watching Hasler. As a coach he's a halfwit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just re watched the replay on fox.
Yes josh threw the Souths kicking tee towards Adam, but at no stage was he being helped off the field. He was on the field when the restart on Morris push in the back happened and finished the game on the ground.

I heard reports, that why. Thanks for posting what happened there

Even though I'm a Bulldogs fan, that behaviour from some fans was an absolute disgrace. Some people take sport way too seriously imo. Hopefully the touch judge is ok.

Nothing wrong with taking sport too seriously it is just a problem with individuals with low social and emotional intelligence.

Two upsets yesterday. Manly look in real trouble, which may come back to the departures of DCE and Foran, but a good win for the Raiders all the same. Very good win for the Dragons too.

Manly won't make the 8. Newcastle are a joke. Fancy being undefeated on top of the ladder and then not scoring one point at home against the Dragons to keep your spot on top.

Newcastle are about to begin a gradual descent down the NRL ladder and I believe the Cowboys will do the opposite.

Thrilled the Sharks finally got a win, Jack Bird and Valentine Holmes were both excellent. I hope we don't move them to accommodate Barba, he should either be coming of the bench or playing in the NSW cup.

yup how the **** do Roosters not score for 70 minutes at home against Canterbury.

Cronulla you mean.

Roosters always struggle against them. On the positive took the Sharks at the TAB for a nice collect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back