Review Round 5: Good, Bad & Ugly v GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

In the first quarter yesterday i was on the hill when we started in awful fashion.
The crowd down our end was dead quiet. Gws moved footy around and got an easy mark inside forward 50.
Scotty T then yelled at the top of his lungs "come on boys... That was too f**king easy". So clear so audible on the hill and we all gave abit of a cheer.
Then the boys pulled their finger out started working for each other.
Wondering if anyone else was on the hill and heard it?
What annoyed me about yesterday is why even in a massive milestone game it seems the boys aren t switched on from the start.

Sorry to quote myself but did anyone else hear the great man

The Crows out scored GWS 10 goals to 7 in the second half. Hardly a lacklustre performance considering the oppositions obvious improvement. We achieved what we needed to do.
Sando would appreciate the significance of this win even if your interpretation is correct.
Just watched the replay, Hall asked Thommo about Sando being animated and what the message was, he wanted us to run the game out.

Good:
the lads who had bad season last year (Wright, Mackay, Jacobs, Jaensch) all playing well backing up from last week
Danger is finally back to normal
Smith.... need I say more

Bad:
Missing Dougie for the next couple of weeks, although that was a ripper bump
4 beers for $34.00

Ugly:
The hangover I currently have

Have a look at the photo of Ward sprawled on the ground and work it out. It's clearly more than 5m, which is the legal distance for applying a shepherd. On the other hand, it's certainly close enough that contact should have been reasonably expected and it was not delivered with unreasonable force.

Might have been ten metres by the time he was sprawled. When he was hit the ball was within five metres IMO.

Just watched the replay, Hall asked Thommo about Sando being animated and what the message was, he wanted us to run the game out.
I can understand his frustration with the lack of run towards the end considering the occasion. Thomo deserved a big finish. But his interview after the match suggested his overall praise for the teams efforts to win every quarter in the last 2 weeks, ucontested possession is up and the young backline without Rutten did very well against a talented forward line.

GOOD

Jacobs- in better nick than 2012 IMO

BAD

Betts had his colours lowered however he still does his bit and liked his push into midfield.

UGLY

People leaving before the end. ****ing sit down and watch a club great be chaired off.

On the good:

I agree 100%. He'll be making an appearance in my fantasy/DT/SC team very soon

Bad:

Small forwards will have games like that. But it was important that he still managed to get our other players in the game. Had a ton of goal assists and still got a sausage roll for himself. He won't kick 3-4 every week, but if he can do what he did yesterday when he has a "quiet" game, our other forwards will benefit greatly. He also drew a few defenders away from our other forwards too

Ugly:

Really? That's disgusting! Very poor form by those that left :thumbsdown:

Being so far off the play it was quite reasonable for Ward not to realise a bump was coming. Douglas needs to understand the dangers in applying a hip and shoulder in that situation.
Agree.

For those saying Douggie should get off, imagine if it were ward who cleaned Douglas up like that. Would you still be saying fair hit, or screaming for a couple of weeks?

Take the red, yellow and blue coloured glasses off people.

BAD
Betts had his colours lowered however he still does his bit and liked his push into midfield.
You must have been watching a different game to me.

He had a hand in 4 or 5 goals either through his pressure around the play or quick reflexes. He doesn't have to kick them himself to impact the game.

Not his best game but far from bad IMO.

Good
A win for Thommo's 250th
Coaching / team structures the last 2 weeks. Good to see Laird played up forward and Smith & Mackay playing more through the midfield where they can be more damaging, than being left in defence permanently.
Hartigan, what a colossus man on man
Dougy's bump ( I sure his defence will be that his goulies made him do it :D )
Jenkins standing up 2 weeks in a row and kicking goals

Funny
Umpire shepherding Betts in the forward 50

Ugly
First 15 minutes of the game
Goal umpire calling for score review for a behind when he thought the player (Hartigan) had marked the ball. Then signalling a behind when the field umpire told him it was goal umpires decision.

You must have been watching a different game to me.

He had a hand in 4 or 5 goals either through his pressure around the play or quick reflexes. He doesn't have to kick them himself to impact the game.

Not his best game but far from bad IMO.
Thought Hampton probably had the better of him but I was being a bit harsh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goal umpire calling for score review for a behind when he thought the player (Hartigan) had marked the ball. Then signalling a behind when the field umpire told him it was goal umpires decision.
I would be very surprised if that umpire isn't dropped for next week's game - that was just plain embarrassing. The fact that he needed to refer to the 3rd umpire in the fact is sheer incompetence - it was plainly obvious that that the mark was taken in front of the line. Fair enough, if he thought that Hartigan may have juggled the mark, but that wasn't what he asked to review. Then to get the signal completely and utterly wrong, after being told that his original decision (the mark being taken) stood, was just more incompetence.

Douglas will get two or three for that hit. It was further off the ball than people are suggesting. Not that bothered. Sometimes necessary to teach a dirty mongrel a lesson by squaring up the next time you meet.
2 or 3, reduced to 1 due to a good record (25% discount) and an early plea (another 25% discount).

Yeah we heard it. I screamed angry words of encouragement in approval. AWESOME to see one of our boys lay a big shepherd and others follow it up with some biff too. Bit of passion, bit of hardness around the ground yesterday. Been a soft, weak club for so long.

Yep... I agree lacked mongrel for a long times... Should ring dank and get some angry pills sent to the club. Jenkins went over to dougie quick when the scuffle started would of liked him get inbetween dougie and the bigger gws player to really fly the flag but dougie seems to be able to handle himself

I would be very surprised if that umpire isn't dropped for next week's game - that was just plain embarrassing. The fact that he needed to refer to the 3rd umpire in the fact is sheer incompetence - it was plainly obvious that that the mark was taken in front of the line. Fair enough, if he thought that Hartigan may have juggled the mark, but that wasn't what he asked to review. Then to get the signal completely and utterly wrong, after being told that his original decision (the mark being taken) stood, was just more incompetence.

He originally signalled a behind. Then went to the review saying he thinks it's a mark. THEN signalled a behind again. :drunk:

Complete shambles. He and the ump who laid a block for Eddie will probably miss next week at least.

Watch the replay. He originally starts tapping his chest to signal a behind then asks for a review on the basis that he thought it was a mark!

The good
- Crouch jr. Super game and stepping right up to the highest level right away. Hes going to embarris a number of big,footy posters and AFL club recuiters before his time is up.
- JJ. Ive been hard on him, well because he just keep playing at an average level and not stepping up. Now its two games in a row he has played a high level forwards game. This could be the starting point of his best form.
- Sauce. Really great game from him, and also off the back of another last week.
- Thommos best game since 2012. What legend of the club.
- Danger was at his brutal best both in the middle and getting goals. Three brownlow votes no doubt.
- Smith again with a nice game.
- Hartigan showing he is ready to take over Ruttens spot.
- Pets showing the type of form that has had me a believer in him. Maybe he is learning the game from Betts, cos if he gets his game going he is going to be a brutal hitting, goal scoring small forward.

The bad
- Douggy most likely getting a holiday.

The ugly
- Cant think of anything for now.

It wasn't a good look and it just takes so long for the review.
I think we should only have a score review for goals, not behinds.

He originally signalled a behind. Then went to the review saying he thinks it's a mark. THEN signalled a behind again. :drunk:

Complete shambles. He and the ump who laid a block for Eddie will probably miss next week at least.
Watch the replay. He originally starts tapping his chest to signal a behind then asks for a review on the basis that he thought it was a mark!
I believe Crow-eater has summed it up - a complete shambles. The umpire in question demonstrated a complete lack of understanding of the rules and a degree of incompetence rarely seen at this level. One can only wonder how he even got to umpire at state league level, let alone the AFL. He clearly didn't realise that marking the ball in front of the line, and being carried over by momentum (after the mark had been completed), does not result in a behind being scored.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back