Review Round 5: Good, Bad & Ugly v GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Hartigan was on Boyd, Shaw was on Patton, Talia was on Cameron, essentially the whole game barring a few instances where we were caught on the hop

All 3 of those votes came from Sanderson, almost certainly

Danger 5+5

Thommo 4+4

Jaensch 3+2

Cannot have been given any other way, leaves 3, 2, 1, 1 to be shifted about Jacobs, Hartigan and Crouch.

Defender Kyle Hartigan ranked equal-first in marks from opposition kicks (five) in Round Five. Of Hartigan’s 14 possessions, nine were ‘intercept possessions’ gained from the opposition.
from the afc site
I thought he played well but didnt think he would be equal first league wide

Defender Kyle Hartigan ranked equal-first in marks from opposition kicks (five) in Round Five. Of Hartigan’s 14 possessions, nine were ‘intercept possessions’ gained from the opposition.
from the afc site
I thought he played well but didnt think he would be equal first league wide
This is one area where the Milburn/Geelong influence can be seen. It was their trademark - Harley, Enright, Scarlett, Taylor. Harley was no world beater but from memory often led the competition in terms of marks from opposition kicks.

Reilly and even Jaensch to a degree have developed into half decent marks. Was not in their armoury at all prior to Milburn. Hopefully Hartigan makes this a regular feature of his game.

This is one area where the Milburn/Geelong influence can be seen. It was their trademark - Harley, Enright, Scarlett, Taylor. Harley was no world beater but from memory often led the competition in terms of marks from opposition kicks.

Reilly and even Jaensch to a degree have developed into half decent marks. Was not in their armoury at all prior to Milburn. Hopefully Hartigan makes this a regular feature of his game.
If you can take the most marks from opposition kicks that goes ALONG way towards beating the world.
What does it take to be good at taking the most marks from oppisition kicks?
Obviously the ability to take a grab, strength/speed to take and/or hold position and an incredible ability to read the play?

If you can take the most marks from opposition kicks that goes ALONG way towards beating the world.
What does it take to be good at taking the most marks from oppisition kicks?
Obviously the ability to take a grab, strength/speed to take and/or hold position and an incredible ability to read the play?
I'd say knowing when to drop off your opponent when he runs to a non-dangerous spot, but that may open a can of worms!

Geelong would always play their best intercept marks on the opposition's least dangerous forwards. Lonergan always played on the key marking forward, not Scarlett or Taylor. With Essendon people would always question why Dustin Fletcher didn't play full back. The reason is that the coaches want these guys on players who don't get much footy directed their way. That way they can zone off and create those two on ones.

Last edited:
Shocking forward entries from your opposition also helps, it can be pretty easy to buff that stat when their midfielders - or should I say ours, as a well known example - constantly bomb the ball to a 2 on 1, and then still manage to hit the defender sitting off right on the chest rather than at least giving the forward a fighting chance at a contest.

Shocking forward entries from your opposition also helps, it can be pretty easy to buff that stat when their midfielders - or should I say ours, as a well known example - constantly bomb the ball to a 2 on 1, and then still manage to hit the defender sitting off right on the chest rather than at least giving the forward a fighting chance at a contest.
Yes it also comes back to the pressure we put on their mids getting the ball in their forward 50.

Definitely.

Pressuring the opposition into rushed kicks forward is the key.

Teams that are precise and cope with pressure well (like the Hawks) are bloody hard to defend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong are an amazing team. If they win this season that's four flags in eight seasons.

Who has done that in recent history?

Hawks in the 80's last ones.
Yep - feel like we're back at 2007. We give the Cats our lunch money to go beat up on those Port kids because we can't.

Don't worry we can go to the gym and learn karate to fight our own battles.

7 years later and we need to hand over more lunch money

Ugly: The Douglas bump. A long way from the play and the Callan Ward was certainly not expecting it. Nor should he have been as he was just jogging 10m parallel to the ball carrier. I would have been livid if it had happened to a Crows player. Quite rightly reported. For those who want to lessen the penalty by questioning whether the concussion was a result of the head clash or Callan hitting his head on the ground, I would suggest that a player hitting his head on the ground after a bump would most likely occur if he was already concussed and unable to react. Dougy is a favourite of mine but that was disappointing.

Ugly: The Douglas bump. A long way from the play and the Callan Ward was certainly not expecting it. Nor should he have been as he was just jogging 10m parallel to the ball carrier. I would have been livid if it had happened to a Crows player. Quite rightly reported. For those who want to lessen the penalty by questioning whether the concussion was a result of the head clash or Callan hitting his head on the ground, I would suggest that a player hitting his head on the ground after a bump would most likely occur if he was already concussed and unable to react. Dougy is a favourite of mine but that was disappointing.
Have you been away for the week?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back