Round 5 Match Review: The Good The Excellent & the Simply Outstanding

Remove this Banner Ad

Sunshine Saint

Cancelled
St Kilda - Player Sponsor Nathan Wright 2015 St Kilda - Nathan Wright Player Sponsor 2014 St Kilda Saints - Tom Ledger Sponsor 2013
Dec 1, 2011
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Mitta United, Tapalinga, St Marys
Fantastic match, brilliant win. Lets hear your thoughts on the match.

The good:

Everyone played hard even when they werent being effective.
Rhys Stanley taking 13 marks.
Billings, enough said.
Webster has some of the best ball handling skills ive seen.
Bruce and Delaney both will be top key defenders.
Curren's tagging is excellent.

The "bad"
Rhys missing that goal. Same with Hickey.
Dunstan didnt have a great game but still okay.
Eli didnt find enough of the ball, but still did good things when he had it so its not so bad.
Seb Ross only getting like 20mins of game time. Bring back the 4 man bench.

*edit

Oh yeah, Riewoldt equal Coleman leader now.
Lenny is Lenny. Nuff said

Good

Our forward line. Reiwoldt dominated again and Stanley played one of his best games for the club but it was the pressure that impressed me the most. Something that wasn't there at all last week.

Defence. Delaney was a really good pick up and I said earlier, if he can work on his skills and compsure when he has the ball he could be an A greader. Bruce had a solid start.

The kids. Jack Billings is gonna be some player, so composed and terrific skills. Webster was fantastic, has great hands and his foot skills are amazing under pressure. Curren killed Heppell and Dunstan was solid again.

The old boys. Joey, Lenny, Roo, Schneider, what great leaders for our kids to look up to. The longer they play on the better the next generation will be for it.

I'm not even going to bother with the bad...

Outstanding
Beating Essendon -
If we go on and beat Carlton and keep developing our youth, I would say that this is a great season
Roo - once again showed why for more than a decade he has been a Saints champion

Older players leadership - time and again through the telecast you could see our experienced players, talking to our youth, individually and in huddles. We are blessed with the quality of our leaders

Alan Richardson - what a difference he has made to the Saints. Appreciate we have drafted a group of exciting young players, but he has the whole list, playing with intensity and passion. And calm calm calm in the coaches box.

Rhys Stanley - 21 possessions, 13 marks and was leading well and clean with marking and disposals all night. Could have kicked a couple of goals, but more than made up with his rucking through the night

Our younger players
Passion, gut running, intensity and not daunted by Essendon or their big name players. Loved the complete disrespect they showed them all night. Loved Dunstan pushing Chapman at stoppages every time he started whinging. A small gesture, but telling him to shut up and win the hard ball, instead of looking for umpires charity.

Excellent
Billings - Quick, clean and great disposals by hand and foot. He was an option all night and was at any time looking like he would cut loose. He will be a long term champion for the club

Passing - Our disposal by foot was much better tonight. And with our run and backing ourselves to take the ball and run, opening up the ground and finding a player running into space

Big Backmen - Loving Delaneys season and Bruce was very good tonight in his first game for the Saints. They both shut down their opponents and worked very very hard all night. Loving that they are not out muscled and brushed aside as we have been for the past two seasons

Good
Everything else

The Good:

As Keating said... this is a victory for the true believers.
Great to see on the match thread how many supporters hate Essendon.
Replay still to come.

The Bad:

Didn't get to watch the game.

Go Saints!

* Riewoldt absolutely superb again. His kicking has improved out of sight *touch wood*.
* Lenny back to his best.
* Webster was outstanding. Best game he's played for mine. So calm and skilful under pressure. Also wins almost every one on one contest. He and Newnes form a great combo.
* Billings fitted in very smoothly. Better than I expected to be honest. Great game from him. Silky smooth, makes great decisions and found enough of the footy.
* Farren Ray again with a terrific game. In career best form.
* Structure is so much better with Delaney and Bruce.
* Jarryn Geary was back to his best. Played a great game.
* Stanley was very good. Didn't kick any goals but he provided a target all day and was a great outlet kick. 13 marks is a very good effort.

I missed the entire match and could´t get to see the scores. Stunned to hear the result.
Can´t wait to watch the replay. Sounds like it was a terrific performance from the boys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The good has mostly been covered above, but one of the very few negatives was Jimmy Gwilt. He really looked out of sorts and pressured for much of the night. Hoping it's just a one off.

Good -
*Winning at 7-1 ODDs
*The arrival of Jack Billings
* Delaney and Bruce as KPD's spoiling and linking up
* Websters class and desperation
* Schneiders back
* Reiwoldt continues to dominate
* Lenny's second half was amazing
* Depth is now not an issue
* Our players gut running
* Midfielders are quick to get inside defensive 50
* Stanley taking more marks, being a get out of jail target
* Great team effort

Bad -
* Letting opposition players spread too easy when we don't win the centre bounce
* Broken chains of handballs
* Kicks not hitting players at crucial moments
* At times not getting the ball in quick enough

Hard to come up with too many in the bad column, I thought it was a great effort to win

Tom Curren: 14 disposals, 4 marks, 3 tackles easily tagged Dyson Heppell out of it: 17 Disposals, 1 mark, 2 tackles. Had no influence on the game in those touches.

Josh Bruce: 15 disposals, 6 marks, 2 tackles easily flogged Jake Carlisle: 9 Disposals, 3 marks, no goals or behinds

Luke Delaney also s**t on Daniher.

Fantastic win. Our biggest test all season and we rose to the occasion.

The excellent:
- Alan Richardson: As SS said, what a difference he has made. You can just see already that the team is well drilled in terms of pressure and structure.

- The old brigade reminding us why they're superstars. I can't even put into words how much of a champion Roo is, and the best thing Scott Watters ever did was encourage Lenny to go around once more.

The good:
- Stanley: I love seeing him lead up the wings to take that outlet mark when we're trying to clear it out of HB. Reliable and clean hands. The only downside is he needs to hit the score board more, but i'm happy with how he's tracking this season. I think by the end of the year, he's going to be a totally different player (if all things go well and I haven't jinxed him)

- Billings and Schneider: Both play that high HF role and both have that beautiful left foot. Exactly what we need to hit targets up forward. I think we're a better team with Schneider in it and Billings showed why he was a number 3 pick

- Webster's becoming a favourite of mine. I have confidence in him one-out in the goal square, no matter who his opponent is. Plus, he's one of the best, if not the best, kick in the squad.

- Our defence is super solid. This is 5 solid games in a row for Delaney now. Very happy with how he's been playing. I can't see Fisher breaking into the best 22 any time soon.

The bad:

- At times we were so inefficient going forward. We mucked around it with too much in the half forward area when it would have been better to kick it long and deep. I even felt like there were times where we were just handballing it around the 40m area and no one was game enough to take a shot.

I could go on, but i'll leave it there. Bring on ANZAC day :thumbsu:

* Great tagging job by Curren on Nick Dal Santo Dyson Heppell - Rendered him redundant & useless.
* great reversal of form by Gears - stoked with his game.
* Tall defenders - wow, what a difference Delaney and Bruce made tonight.
* Newnes looked like an absolute jet tonight - thank you Tommy Lynch!
* Stanley - that's what we want to see - fantastic stuff

Essendon walking around like Lannisters with 'King' Hirdy reigning over all.....

* the King.

Only sad part was being on holiday in Swan Hill and missing the win live.

What an exciting time to be a fan though. So many great players and moments and plays. Can't wait for Friday!

Hope we keep the 2 tall structure. Worked much better run back to goals instead of everyone leading at the ball carrier.

Anyway I'm off to have another whiskey. Wooooooooooooo!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back