Round 5 Match Review: The Good The Excellent & the Simply Outstanding

Remove this Banner Ad

Riewoldt: so much has been written about him already ITT but more is always needed to pay tribute for his commitment to the team. He is not only a goal and mark machine, with the athleticism of a mid fielder and sheer power of one of the games top forwards. He is the best bloody leader you could hope for, every time he is in the huddle, he is speaking with such intensity it's inspiring. When the telecast gets what he is saying he is communicating a nuanced understanding of the game, I cant help but look forward to his coaching career (hopefully with the saints). When we score and win the reaction from him is visceral. He typifies what being a true believer saint is all about. Last night there was a shot of roo and his marker both doubled up with exhaustion early in the second qtr IIRC, but honey badger Roo is off sprinting the rest of the game. Every time he contests and gets knocked from his feet, he seems to recover in the space of a couple seconds, and recommit to the contest. The opposition know how powerful he is, they doubled manned him most set kicks, yet he still knows how to work them off, to free his teammates or get the ball over them. For such a flagship player he is never selfish with it, always using teammates when they are they are better positioned,but also willing to take the big and hard goals on.

In short I love him, it would've been so easy for him to do his apprenticeship with st kilda and then head off to Geelong/hawks/big money, constant wins and top level supporting players, but he didnt. He is here fighting for us.

what an excellent post... Post of the year contender right there!

While others seem to be getting better since playing those two easy beats CJ seems to have gone backwards. Will be interesting to see where he is in a few weeks.

CJ is not the future - as admirable as he has been - he is a mature body holding a place until someone better develops... just alike a few others.

We look a different team with damaging kickers in the team. Billings and Schneider added another dimension. 26 scoring shots against the injectors is unbelievable.

I feel with CJ the less ball he gets the better for the team. His efficiency may be good but he delays forward movements turning and running backwards looking for the handball. I get he needs to do this to play within his limitations. It's not good for the team though.

I think we need to stop overreacting to one good game. Weller was good but why should someone who played well in a win make way for one good game? Might be different if there's a change in structure but being a mid there just isn't a spot for him yet. I'd be more interested in maybe one more tall in place of a Saunders/Eli/Jones but apart from that there's no need for many changes.

Awesome win by the boys.
Congrats to them and all involved at the club.
Can't wait to see Ackers now after seeing Billings in action last night.

Bl00dy fantastic recruiting!

Here's a few of my observations from the game:

1. The look on Hurley's face in the 2nd qtr told it all. He knew he was absolutely buggered already and he knew Roo was going to keep that pace going for four quarters (which Roo did!). It was the look of defeat.

2. I love the way Stanley holds his long arms straight out in front of him to receive passes. No one can possibly out reach him when he's running at full pace. Last night he held those marks on the lead and was an important link in the chain.

3. Gwilt and Webster's delivery out of defence was superb. Having two beautiful left footers thumping the ball 50-60m out of defence is pure gold.

4. That first goal of Billings! I'm sure Tom Boyd will be a good player, but I'm actually glad we got pick 3 instead of trying to trade up for pick one to get Boyd because, going by last night, Billings is going to be a star and an excitement machine. The one-grab contested mark he took was a sign of things to come.

5. Really impressed with Bruce. My mate texted me at 3 qtr time to say how well Bruce was playing and he was spot on. Bruce looks very athletic - good pace and an excellent leap. He looks like he enjoys running with the ball too, so he's a good contrast to our other tall defender in Delaney (who also played very well).

6. Farren Ray played another good game - that's five in a row (probably about ten in a row after his great finish to last season). After ten years at the top level he has finally found some consistency and is actually starting to play like a top ten draft pick. His contested marking is superb.

7. With Gilbert, Armitage, Wright and Fisher to somehow be squeezed back into the team and with Acres to surely get promoted in the coming weeks, we have a nice little selection dilemma on our hands. My kids aren't allowed to say the 'F' word at home and I'm not going to say the other 'F' word on here, but I am certainly going to enjoy watching how the season evolves for the mighty Saints! Never say never.

Rhys stanley and jack newnes pat on the back. Newnes third quarter was exhilirating well done champ a lot of saints people I know are not big fans of yours but not too worry as I am. Rhys that was your best game for the club. Im so happy to see you play well build on this and you become one of the hardest matchups in the afl. Add a couple of goals to your resume each week and your away. Go sainters what a ripper win. The f word just wont go away.

Rhys stanley and jack newnes pat on the back. Newnes third quarter was exhilirating well done champ a lot of saints people I know are not big fans of yours but not too worry as I am. Rhys that was your best game for the club. Im so happy to see you play well build on this and you become one of the hardest matchups in the afl. Add a couple of goals to your resume each week and your away. Go sainters what a ripper win. The f word just wont go away.
Well said cooperrules Newnes & Stanley solid last night.
Best game both have played for us

What an amazing win.

I was just so impressed with our composure. Our kids again were good, but it was the senior blokes who performed admirably!

How much of a champion is our captain.

The Bad ..... Bomber Thompson looked really arrogant for a while . He was leaning back eating lollies cos he thought it was an easy win.
The Good... by the 4th Qtr Bomber Thompson was under as much pressure as a fat mans belt . He crumbled and made f-All defensive moves.
WIN FOR RICHO!!!!!!!!!

Too bloody right, when we went bang bang late in the 2nd quarter with Mad Dog Geary strolling into goal suddenly that smug prick Bomber sat up from his deck chair and realised he had a fight on his hands and had to actually coach. Richo caught him with his pants down and then just coached his pants off.

This song summed it up.

I came to knock you up, I came to cut you down
I came around to tear your little world apart
I came to rip you up, I came to shut you down
I came around to tear your little world apart
And break your soul apart

I usually get a vibe in the first few minutes of our games if we're up for the fight, last week I knew we were flat and not up for it, last night I knew we were up for the fight even when we were 3 goals down at quarter time.

Loved our revamped forwardline, Riewoldt was awesome as always but Stanley really stood up without concrete hands Maister getting in his road and Schneider and Billings were lethal left footed wizards around half forward.

Billings looked right at home and really made a difference, he's going to be an absolute star.

4. That first goal of Billings! I'm sure Tom Boyd will be a good player, but I'm actually glad we got pick 3 instead of trying to trade up for pick one to get Boyd because, going by last night, Billings is going to be a star and an excitement machine. The one-grab contested mark he took was a sign of things to come.

I love him. He gives me the Dr. Hibbert chuckles. Surely will get the rising star nomination this week.

I think we need to stop overreacting to one good game. Weller was good but why should someone who played well in a win make way for one good game? Might be different if there's a change in structure but being a mid there just isn't a spot for him yet. I'd be more interested in maybe one more tall in place of a Saunders/Eli/Jones but apart from that there's no need for many changes.

this

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm actually in NZ at the moment, doing some travelling before watching the mighty saints in Wellington. I had one hell of a drama finding wifi to catch some of the game last night. Long story short, I had to wait until this morning to catch up on the result when at an airport.

If anyone caught my face on camera when I checked the score, I would love that image. Complete and utter shock, surprise, joy.

I have since checked into a first world hotel with a proper Internet connection. I have watched all of the highlights and am ready to share my thoughts.

-The Saints' media department deserves some credit. Their coverage of this game has been really good from my perspective. I didn't see the game but I feel like I did now. I have been a critic I'm the past, so only fair that I praise them here.

-Roo. It's all been said but that man is incredible. I caught a tweet from Catherine Riewoldt saying that she had completed an Easter egg hunt, and she heard the Easter bunny limping around on one knee before she got up. That man is the ultimate professional. Knowing the end could come at any moment only enhances my love for this man. Soak it in while we can. Incredible.

-Joy. Oh the joy. The good news is, our joy is unashamedly matched bY the players. They LOOK like they are enjoying themselves. The social media reaction from the players and even some former players (Gram, Kosi) shows the enjoyment at the club at the moment. Roo's comment after round 1 about it being one of most enjoyable wins shows they know where the team is at. They are enjoying it every step of the way.

-Pride. I saved the best until last. I am so bloody proud of the boys. I reckon they are proud of each other. I understand that we are a developing team. But that sort of effort comes down to more than pure talent. I don't care about draft picks or any of that nonsense. I want my team to compete every single week. If we lose, so be it. But if we are that determined and give that much effort every week, then we will ALWAYS be proud.

I know it is one win, but words don't do this one justice. Indescribable admiration, joy and pride. And I haven't even seen the whole game.

I think delany has really flown under the radar this year, the bloke is an excellent key defender and he only gets beaten when the kick is really good.

When billings kicked that last goal his celebration made me so happy! I couldn't get the stupid grin off my face. It looks like he really enjoys being out there and playing for us.

I think delany has really flown under the radar this year, the bloke is an excellent key defender and he only gets beaten when the kick is really good.

When billings kicked that last goal his celebration made me so happy! I couldn't get the stupid grin off my face. It looks like he really enjoys being out there and playing for us.
Bruce and Delaney will form a very solid partnership I reckon.

Not only is it great that they're nullifying key forwards, but as has been pointed out they're freeing up the elite kicks and rebound in our backline.

Especially when you consider that as little as 6 months ago he was a Essendon supporter it was brilliant to see.

No real negatives aside from Jones disposal and Bruce I thought wasn't great by foot. But that will improve. Just a fantastic night

Especially when you consider that as little as 6 months ago he was a Essendon supporter it was brilliant to see.

No real negatives aside from Jones disposal and Bruce I thought wasn't great by foot. But that will improve. Just a fantastic night
I actually thought Bruce's kicking was pretty good, particularly that first bullet to Stanley. Didn't know he had that in him.

I actually thought Bruce's kicking was pretty good, particularly that first bullet to Stanley. Didn't know he had that in him.

It was just a couple of times I thought it wasn't great, but that will happen to everyone I suppose

The whole billings family are/were mad bombers supporters to kick the sealer and give it too the crowd gave me a tear in the eye. It was awsesome all of the young boys look like they have fallen in love with the club. I have watched the song about ten times I just love it. Our coach is an absolute supercool character I couldnt be happier with him. The whole club from the pres down have been a godsent after all the doom and gloom we are the most improved organisation this season so far. To make so many right decision for the club is to be commended. Well done to all involved.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back