Unofficial Preview Round 5: St Kilda vs Essendon- Saturday/Etihad Stadium @7:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manimal_Dunstan

Cancelled
10k Posts
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Let's get discussing;

Possible ins: Tom Lee, Seb Ross, Terry Milera, Jack Billings, Adam Schneider, Josh Bruce, Tom Hickey etc

Possible outs: Shane Savage, Beau Maister, Nathan Wright etc.

What are everyone's change predictions?

Last edited:
We're going to be flogged. Bad.

Would like to see Billings, Lee, Hickey and Schneids in. Would LOVE to see Shenton get rewarded for his consistently excellent form through the preseason and first couple of Dandy games; simple in/out with Wrighty, who'll end up on the LTI you would think.

F*#k it, even give Spencer White a game for giggles.

We looked flat this week but a few changes next week i reckon 4-5 might happen and i think we'll be competitive for a few quarters but lose by about 40+.

Stay positive Barrels or i'll find a way to get you sacked from talking anything Key forwards. :D:D

IN: Josh Bruce, Tom Lee, Jack Billings, Dylan Roberton, Tom Hickey, Seb Ross
OUT: Luke Dunstan (rest), Beau Maister (omitted), David Armitage (knee), Nathan Wright (leg), Billy Longer (omitted), Shave Savage (omitted)

Bruce comes in for Dunstan, as realistically we were always missing a backman and were carrying an extra midfielder. Dunstan had another really solid game, but we have 2 6 day breaks coming up and I thought the defensive side of his game was lacking. Looked exhausted out there, despite his impressive game finding the ball.

Maister for Lee is fairly simple. Maister just isn't a threat anymore and Lee has kicked 7 over the past 2 weeks for Sandy. Hopefully Riewoldt gets some help in the form of Tom Lee. Armitage for Jack Billings is more of an injury concern as opposed to a move based on quality. I know he played through it, but injuries can get worse and I think Armo's unfortunately will. If we had an 8 day break he's one that would come in.

Wright for Dylan Roberton, I think he's the logical choice. It's been said that Shenton has shown some form in the VFL, and I think it's likely that he'll be elevated as Wright is put on the LTI list, but Robbo may just edge him for the spot.

I'm unsure of Hickey's current position to do with injuries, but obviously if he's fit he comes in for Longer. Ross has to be rewarded for his great form in the VFL. In fact he would come in for Arma and Billings for Savage.

Stay positive Barrels or i'll find a way to get you sacked from talking anything Key forwards. :D:D
Easy Knifes. He'll talk about key backmen :p

I don't think they'll rest Dunstan yet been probably our best midfielder

Also Roberton was apparently playing injured last week and didn't play yesterday. So might be injured and not available?

I'm not interested in this game, I really am not. I don't mind losing given the state of our list. I don't like it, but I will still attend an almost certain loss to support my club. I attended the West Coast match in Perth with a host of Eagles supporters and waved the metaphorical flag and shouted the literal screams of support when the rest of the ground seemed to fall silent.

So imagine my surprise when I found that, despite my being in Melbourne for the match, I have no interest in attending. I could not stand losing to a bunch of drug cheats, led by somebody who admitted to taking banned substances on national TV, and have to be there to listen to it. This is the same person who has recently been appointed a multicultural ambassador of the sport - as if to say * you to the general supporters.

This is not a go at the poor bombers supporters whom I sympathise with. This is a swipe at the AFL for letting this situation foster and the Essendon administration for not admitting to any significant degree that they cheated.

Now here I find myself, maybe like many others, taking no enjoyment from watching my team take to the field against people that don't deserve to be out there. The match being Essendon's home game should be played behind closed doors or every cent should be given to an appropriate charity.

Saints, I hope you win, but more, unfortunately, I hope Essendon lose. It says something when you are driven to support Fremantle today - great stuff Ross and your boys - a small slice of justice yet significantly left undone.

I think if Richo takes the path of least resistance in preparation for this match (and keeps the team pretty much as it is) I fear we as supporters are in for a year of very much pain. Having said that though, I was prepared for a season of great sorrow anyway. Those two early victories only helped to raise my morale, slightly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have to make a few changes this week even if we term them as "rest"

Maister - Lee
Wright (inj) - Bruce (Gwilt can not take Daniher or Carlisle)
Armo (inj) - Ross
Savage - Milera (his form has been better than Billings in terms of consistency) - not sure Savage will go out due to NZ factor but should

Schneider gets 1 more in VFL before in for Templeton
Hickey can have another week off to get right as the NZ trip is a long one and need him right.
Billings to just keep pressing
Roberton to come back in through VFL as form wasnt that great prior.

In terms of Wright upgrade I would be eyeing off Weller as Dunstan is tiring and Armo has injury cloud. But Shenton would be good too. Neither upgraded this week.

Have to make a few changes this week even if we term them as "rest"

Maister - Lee
Wright (inj) - Bruce (Gwilt can not take Daniher or Carlisle)
Armo (inj) - Ross
Savage - Milera (his form has been better than Billings in terms of consistency) - not sure Savage will go out due to NZ factor but should

Schneider gets 1 more in VFL before in for Templeton
Hickey can have another week off to get right as the NZ trip is a long one and need him right.
Billings to just keep pressing
Roberton to come back in through VFL as form wasnt that great prior.

In terms of Wright upgrade I would be eyeing off Weller as Dunstan is tiring and Armo has injury cloud. But Shenton would be good too. Neither upgraded this week.

I agree with those changes. While I don't rate Milera, he is on our list and deserves a go. Lets hope he has worked on his defence a little and plays more of a team game. Savage needs to find form.

What the 1st 4 games have shown is the reliance we have on Riewoldt, worked for 2 wins, not for the other 2. Other clubs know this.

Lee, Milera, Schneider & Billings know their way around the fwd line and we need them playing (& firing) to get our scoring rate up from 15-20 scoring shots to 25.

Not saying we have them all as straight inclusions for this week, but is what we should be aiming for as we approach the middle of the year.

I've always been of the view that there are footballers who just know where the goals are, and some that just plainly don't.

Those that do, need to be played fwd always to give any team every opportunity to kick a winning score.

Then we will have a show in a lot more matches.

Just remember, it was the 'road to 2018', not 2014.

Structurally, we were short. They replaced Gilbert with Steven, and then tried to use Maister at either end - didn't work. They need to replace Maister with Bruce, and then add Lee to ensure we have enough talls. Perhaps Lee comes in for Wright.

Also, for that little bit of class, I'd have Schneider back in for Templeton. And, of course, Hickey back in for Longer.

Geary Delaney Gwilt
Dempster Bruce Webster
Newnes Jones Montagna
Stanley Riewoldt Ray
Savage Lee Steven
Hickey Hayes Curren
Armitage (if not right, bring in Ross) Dunstan Saunders Schneider

Bruce deservs a crack and we need the extra big man in my opinion, especially against Essendon. Milera has had a really good start to the VFL season and he deserves a month in the team to prove whether or not he is an AFL player, he has a lot to work on and is probably playing for his career. Definitely has the skills. Lee is the most obvious change for Maister, we need another target down their to give Roo a break and preferably someone that can kick goals. Lee has proven he can do that and needs to be in the side to develop his game. Armitage needs a rest and Seb Ross is a like for like and has had a really good start to the year for Sandy. Templeton as the sub, he's had a pretty good start, Billings will get his turn. I'm tempted to bring is Shenton if he is upgraded but I didn't want to make too many changes. Geary needs to lift though.

FB: Gwilt Delaney Dempster
HB: Geary Bruce Webster
C: Ray Dunstan Newnes
HF: Jones Reiwoldt Milera
FF: Stanley Lee Montagna
R: Hickey Hayes Steven
Int: Ross Saunders Curren Sub: Templeton

Emg: Billings, Shenton, Savage

FB: Geary - Delaney - Dempster
HB: Shenton - Bruce - Webster
CR: Newnes - Hayes - Curren
RK: Stanley - Montagna - Jones
HF: Saunders - Riewoldt - Gwilt
FF: Schneider - Lee - Longer
Int: Steven Ray Dunstan
Sub: Templeton

Out: Maister Savage Wright (inj.) Armitage (inj.)
In: Lee Schneider Bruce Shenton (u/g)

Give Hickey another week off, Armo a week to recover and Dunstan onto the pine initially for a breater of sorts. Lenny goes head-to-head with Jabbin' Jobe. Gwilt forward as an extra mid-sized target.

Last edited:
I have to agree that this game doesn't look good for us and while as a team we are in trouble there are individuals that are in trouble too, not just for selection but for their playing lives.
Maister, Milera, TDL, are all under the spotlight, I don't know their contract status, but these blokes are known quantities, their ceiling may have been met but for sure they need to elevate their performance very soon, they need to be absolutely burning at what ever level they are playing at, because we're not only selecting for now but for next year and the year after as well. At this moment I see no place for them in the AFL.

CR: Newnes - Hayes - Steven
RK: Hickey - Montagna - Curren
FF: Billings - Lee - Stanley
Int: Jones Ray Dunstan

Stanley is getting to the stage where he may well be our best first ruck option, but for sure we need forwards that can take a contested mark at whatever size they are. Our skills simply aren't good enough to play keepings off so contested ball becomes an absolute imperative.

While Jones is in for the moment and I know all the talk about his disposal efficiency, but when the heat is on, when he is needed to hit the target or slot the goal he doesn't and it generally costs us dearly, there is a mental side to execution and he's struggled horribly with it. He either tags or is out of the team, nor do I see much future for Ray, it may come down to a choice between the two of them before the end of the year.

Going to go against the grain and say keep Savage in. His first two games were dreadful, but he's steadily improving. It seems intuitive to send him to VFL to 'find form' but that's exactly what he's doing right now in the team. I think it might be counterproductive to drop him now, could put him back to square one. Maybe it's because we're basically certainties to lose comfortably here. I can definitely see where you guys are coming from.

Just a little thing I noticed about Savage yesterday - he doesn't really do the little low fives with teammates. He just sort of runs off by himself to his position. Let's hope he doesn't end up being a selfish footballer.

I have to agree that this game doesn't look good for us and while as a team we are in trouble there are individuals that are in trouble too, not just for selection but for their playing lives.
Maister, Milera, TDL, are all under the spotlight, I don't know their contract status, but these blokes are known quantities, their ceiling may have been met but for sure they need to elevate their performance very soon, they need to be absolutely burning at what ever level they are playing at, because we're not only selecting for now but for next year and the year after as well. At this moment I see no place for them in the AFL.

CR: Newnes - Hayes - Steven
RK: Hickey - Montagna - Curren
FF: Billings - Lee - Stanley
Int: Jones Ray Dunstan

Stanley is getting to the stage where he may well be our best first ruck option, but for sure we need forwards that can take a contested mark at whatever size they are. Our skills simply aren't good enough to play keepings off so contested ball becomes an absolute imperative.

While Jones is in for the moment and I know all the talk about his disposal efficiency, but when the heat is on, when he is needed to hit the target or slot the goal he doesn't and it generally costs us dearly, there is a mental side to execution and he's struggled horribly with it. He either tags or is out of the team, nor do I see much future for Ray, it may come down to a choice between the two of them before the end of the year.

I agree with you on Maister, TDL and Milera. Which is why they all deserve a month of senior football to prove themselves. Maister has had his. Milera has been good for Sandy so he deserves a crack. While I agree none of them should be on our list next year, maybe they deserve a chance to prove themselves.

I agree with you on Maister, TDL and Milera. Which is why they all deserve a month of senior football to prove themselves. Maister has had his. Milera has been good for Sandy so he deserves a crack. While I agree none of them should be on our list next year, maybe they deserve a chance to prove themselves.

Absolutely, but poor to moderate performance won't be enough nor will being a depth player. I have no problem with giving Milera and TDL a chance to save their careers, when do we do it though, and how long do we give them? Say Beau gets a run at Sandringham of 6 games and gets 15 - 20 goals do we bring him back?

If we select Milera this week, he has to be in for 4 weeks and be a starter. Would we be better off giving that game time to Billings? I don't know.

Absolutely, but poor to moderate performance won't be enough nor will being a depth player. I have no problem with giving Milera and TDL a chance to save their careers, when do we do it though, and how long do we give them? Say Beau gets a run at Sandringham of 6 games and gets 15 - 20 goals do we bring him back?

If we select Milera this week, he has to be in for 4 weeks and be a starter. Would we be better off giving that game time to Billings? I don't know.

Obviously they still must earn a game before they are selected, which I think Milera has done. He's been one of Sandy's best players so far. Billings is here for the long hall and I think he can still learn from playing VFL football, I'm not sure Milera can. I just think it would be unfair to delist all these players without giving them a go when they probably deserve it. If we were to do that then why are they on the list? As for Wilkes, well I just hope Lee's form is good enough to keep him out. Wilkes has had a lot of chances in the last 12 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back