Unofficial Preview Round 5: St Kilda vs Essendon- Saturday/Etihad Stadium @7:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unsure Gwilt can function as that third forward but guess its not harmful to try. Bruce can go forward as well can't he?

Won't matter if the balls not up there much but.

Anyone rate the chances of Tommy Simpkin being a late in and playing up forward? think he has played few times up forward in the VFL.

Anyone rate the chances of Tommy Simpkin being a late in and playing up forward? think he has played few times up forward in the VFL.
I suggested some time ago we should reinvent him as a defensive forward in the hammil mould. He's quite quick and very agro so would be worth a try.

I don't see why the scoreline shouldn't be sorta close. Even if they smack us early they've got an eye on Anzac Day and will slow down. I guess you could argue that we'd have an eye on Anzac Day too but I think we'd take the opportunity to save face after last week. We should be slightly less fatigued as well, if that's any influence.

Another 85 point loss would be not good enough again. How did we even lose by 85 points? Still can't wrap my head around that.

Steven, Jones, Saunders, Templeton, Billings, Schneider.
If we're going to have such a small forward line-up we should bring back the stab pass, the daisy-cutter and the worm-burner.
No long bombs, hospital passes, widow-makers or helicopters.
Are they expecting wet weather....? o_O

You'd think we'd know that Etihad has a roof by now.... :oops:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should have done it on Grand Final day though :(
We should of kicked straight on Grand Final day, should of won by 30 points and also Bakes should of got Bartel with a massive bump.

I will never watch any moment form that game for the rest of my life.

Weird how they closed the roof last week when there was no rain.
Let the sun shine in, at least for day games..

I reckon it's heaps better with the roof closed. Players don't lose the ball in the sun and it's way easier for the fans to see the game. There's no having to re-adjust your eyes between shadow and light. I really can't see any positives to opening the roof during games to be honest.

Reasonably happy with those changes, Maister and Savage got the chop they deserved and the guys that deserved a call up have been given a go.

A bit surprised Lee didn't get a call up but I guess they can swing Gwilt or Bruce forward if needs be.
Some doubt with Bruce's kicking, but I'm all for him having some time in the forward half..Has a good set of hands, & played forward often in his younger days..No pressure on the Saints remember, we're in re-build the next few years..We've got the time to experiment with our list, & see who fits in where & if they can perform in a variety of roles..
Correct me if im wrong but didnt lenny clean chappy up early in the geelong granny.
Chappy's been on the receiving end of a few from Lenny..

Last edited:
Unsure Gwilt can function as that third forward but guess its not harmful to try. Bruce can go forward as well can't he?

Won't matter if the balls not up there much but.
Gwilt was drafted as a forward and he had some great games as a forward, Qualifying Final V Crows at Amii comes to mind.

Gwilt was drafted as a forward and he had some great games as a forward, Qualifying Final V Crows at Amii comes to mind.

I'm gunna go against the grain and say he wasn't that good in the forward line last week. He just didn't get to enough contests and didn't do any blocking for roo.

I'm gunna go against the grain and say he wasn't that good in the forward line last week. He just didn't get to enough contests and didn't do any blocking for roo.
It was his first game as a forward since 2007 so he needs to relearn the art of being a forward.

Lets give the experiment at least a solid 3 weeks to see.

It was his first game as a forward since 2007 so he needs to relearn the art of being a forward.

And I'd also add, he got switched at half time. I am firmly of the belief that the coaches got fully sick of Maister's efforts by half time and in desperation threw him back and switched Jimmy forward to see if Maister showed anything (or else they'd drop him). They dropped him. Let's see if they tell Jimmy to play forward this week.

Last edited:

I'd much rather we develop the few young forwards we have. Just seems strange Lee is not in there. I'd even rather we had Longer up there, at least he might learn something. What exactly would we get out of trying to turn Gwilt into a forward so late in his career?

I'd much rather we develop the few young forwards we have. Just seems strange Lee is not in there. I'd even rather we had Longer up there, at least he might learn something. What exactly would we get out of trying to turn Gwilt into a forward so late in his career?
Perhaps there's still a few things for Lee to work on. Gifting games is bad for development. Had a slow start to the year. Building into it now. Maybe needs another week.

RE value of Gwilt as a forward... If it happens it opens up a spot down back. Bruce named for his first game for the club. We will get experience into a young key back, which I think is very important (one that has been playing well at VFL level by all reports).

Perhaps there's still a few things for Lee to work on. Gifting games is bad for development. Had a slow start to the year. Building into it now. Maybe needs another week.
I think that's it. The reason he wasn't getting a call up 2-3 weeks ago was his fitness (although he was playing poorly aswell). He was expected to be ready around now, and his form has improved, so I guess he's either not 100% fit and needs another week or two, or the coaches have told him to work on something and it's not showing in his VFL matches.

I'm having a bit of a upbeat feeling for tomorrow now, not sure why, but I think with Schneids coming in the forward 50 entries will be alot better. Hopefully he can kick a bag. It seems that the poor forward 50 entries have been noticed and judging by the selection, with a group of left footer, the selectors really want to open more avenues to goal.

The thing I want to see is one of the kids who will be playing in the forwardline to stand up aswell. We've seen sparks and glimpses of what some of them can do, with Eli kicking crucial goals in the first two matches, and Stanley showing better signs last week. But our reliance on Roo is too heavy, now with Maister out I can only assume Schneids will play forward rather than wing (as he sometimes did). So I really hope Stanley/Eli etc atleast one of them, says, "I'll take the game into my own hands" and kick 3 goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back