Preview Round 6 Changes and Pre-Match Discussion Vs Essendon (MCG)

Remove this Banner Ad

Thomas seemed better in the second half last week. I reckon this is the kind of game he will really come into his own. He was such a good player for us last year, I think he deserves to find his feet in the seniors.

As for dropping Ball, I can't understand that - he was very good vs Richmond and then played one quarter vs North, he's going to be raring to go. Essendon are a good clearance team, we'll need him.

No change..

The Doc says: Reid is on track for a round eight return. Brown played VFL and may return to senior selection but recurrent dislocation chance is high. Sinclair has already missed three weeks but the Pies will not rush him. - 23/4

Is it really necessary for us to be having cracks at Essendon fans about the ASADA thing? It's not original or funny and it's not as if the supporters are responsible for it, in fact I feel sorry for them that the people in charge completely let them down..

B: Toovey - Keeffe - Maxwell
HB: Fasolo - Frost - Young
C: Sidebottom - Beams - Lumumba
HF: Swan - Cloke - Goldsack
F: Elliott - Witts - White
FL: Grundy - Pendlebury - Ball
INT: Adams - Thomas - Macaffer
SUB: Blair

There's no way in hell JT gets dropped. I wouldn't be surprised at all if there's no change.
The only one I could possibly see missing is Langdon.
But JT and Blair will stay IMO.
And people saying Ball should be dropped are clueless.

Our best football takes you to the cleaners :)

Essendon supporter talking about being clean? The ironing is delicious.

And your best football takes us to the cleaners? Yeah that's why you've won 1 game out of our past 8 encounters bud.

Langdon out, Adams in.

Goldsack to go back and play on Windelich.

Blair Sub.

Possibly Grundy out as well for a rest - IF Bellchambers and Ryder don't play.

I would then bring in Dwyer as well.

Langdon out, Adams in.

Goldsack to go back and play on Windelich.

Blair Sub.

Possibly Grundy out as well for a rest - IF Bellchambers and Ryder don't play.

I would then bring in Dwyer as well.

So you want to remove two players in the team who provide the best forward pressure, from the forward line? This is what has made us a better side over the last few weeks..

Blairs role it isn't that hard adams, jt,Kennedy a
So you want to remove two players in the team who provide the best forward pressure, from the forward line? This is what has made us a better side over the last few weeks..

Many players can fill that role fk me its called chasing in fact EVERY player can do it.

Blairs role it isn't that hard adams, jt,Kennedy a

Many players can fill that role fk me its called chasing in fact EVERY player can do it.

Playing devil's advocate a bit, if Blair's role wasn't that hard, why would he have been given the Gavin Brown award last year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forward pressure is more than just "chasing". Yes any player can run and chase, but you have to consider things like overall positioning, willingness and ability to give repeated efforts, how hard they are going into the contest, and other team acts that aren't reflected in the stats.

Everyone can see Blair's limitations as they are so obvious, but I think those glaring weaknesses too often overshadow his positive attributes and the fact he does his assigned role very well.

He will probably end up being squeezed out by more talented players, but from the last few weeks and for this week he deserves a spot in the starting lineup.

Playing devil's advocate a bit, if Blair's role wasn't that hard, why would he have been given the Gavin Brown award last year?

Cause he is the one chosen for the role and gets the game time to do it. There are upgrades on him which is the point, why settle for status quo, when you can improve on it.

For all Blair "intent" his tackles are regularly broken through, he loses his footing in contests, is burnt for pace watch wells put 10m between him last week 2nd q i think it was for an example, he doesn't kick enough goals or get to enough crumbing contests on the offensive side either.

Forward pressure is more than just "chasing". Yes any player can run and chase, but you have to consider things like overall positioning, willingness and ability to give repeated efforts, how hard they are going into the contest, and other team acts that aren't reflected in the stats.

Everyone can see Blair's limitations as they are so obvious, but I think those glaring weaknesses too often overshadow his positive attributes and the fact he does his assigned role very well.

He will probably end up being squeezed out by more talented players, but from the last few weeks and for this week he deserves a spot in the starting lineup.

Obviously you also need to maintain the zone and structures which again applies to all players as that's what the good teams do, repeat effort should be a given at AFL level for every player.

Cause he is the one chosen for the role and gets the game time to do it. There are upgrades on him which is the point, why settle for status quo, when you can improve on it.

For all Blair "intent" his tackles are regularly broken through, he loses his footing in contests, is burnt for pace watch wells put 10m between him last week 2nd q i think it was for an example, he doesn't kick enough goals or get to enough crumbing contests on the offensive side either.

I disagree with almost all of that.

Obviously you also need to maintain the zone and structures which again applies to all players as that's what the good teams do, repeat effort should be a given at AFL level for every player.
But there are obvious differences in the efforts and repeat efforts that different players give or are able to give.

Blair isn't the fastest guy but he's fit and can chase and harass for a full game plus he is well-versed in the role and overall game plan.

Lol if i had a video editing software I would be making that many footage reels for arguments like this it isn't funny.

Every word I wrote on his negatives is fact and regularly happens on a weekly basis.

It's not hard to find examples of players being burned off, I'm talking about the mean average, not the aberrations.

I don't think Blair is in current danger of losing his spot, but long term he might.

I don't think any change will be made, but that said I am really keen on giving Adams a go because he is the future and could play a small forward role if called upon. He needs games into him and also big games because he has come from a club who played in front of 5000 people and kept losing. I think we need to groom him quickly for the big time, and you don't get too many opportunities like ANZAC Day.

I could see Langdon going out for Adams, but I think Goldsack shouldn't go into defence because we could use him defensive forward on Hibberd who is damaging.

Keefe to play on Daniher? IMO I think it is a good matchup for him with frost to take Ryder/Carlisle. Keefe has the height and athleticism to match Daniher and should be all over him whilst Frost has been excellent on the competitions best forwards and can pretty much play on any KPF. Just wanted to get your thoughts on who goes to who and weather Brown comes into contention.

At some point in time we have to start building towards our best team and we need to have a settled and barring injuries, a very best team on the park by mid season.

This means bringing in the likes of Seedsman, Marley, Adams, Brown and Reid. Like 2010, we need a settled line up going into the back end of the season and we need to find out who is ready to step up and play - which means choosing and dropping players based on their form - the last time we had this problem was in 2010 when we had a healthy list. I don't see a better time than now to bring in Adams for Langdon who is slowing down.

Blair, yes he provides pressure but he has kicked 2 goals and averaged 4 tackles for the year. It's not good enough and he is on the outer at the moment for mine.

I don't think Blair is in current danger of losing his spot, but long term he might.

I don't think any change will be made, but that said I am really keen on giving Adams a go because he is the future and could play a small forward role if called upon. He needs games into him and also big games because he has come from a club who played in front of 5000 people and kept losing. I think we need to groom him quickly for the big time, and you don't get too many opportunities like ANZAC Day.

I could see Langdon going out for Adams, but I think Goldsack shouldn't go into defence because we could use him defensive forward on Hibberd who is damaging.

That's the conundrum though - if Langdon goes out and Adams plays a small forward role, who goes back?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back