Preview Round 6 Changes and Pre-Match Discussion Vs Essendon (MCG)

domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
Ball over Golsack anyday for me. I'll take Ball's pressure and his extra 10-15 possessions too!. Goldsack is still actually doing what he has always done.. kind of doing enough to stay in the team but not really... sort of maybe.... By his standards, Goldy has been pretty good these last 4 weeks... but we are still discussing if he deserves a spot in the team. I'm glad that we are playing him forward which is where he does provide something for the team.

Goldsack's defensive pressure has been outstanding in recent weeks. He is very deserving of his position at the moment.

Just had a quick look over on the Essendon board, they are talking like they have already lost, god they are a miserable lot :p

I can kinda see why they're not exactly brimming with confidence about this one - with Hocking and Myers out there goes a fair amount of mid grunt/tagging options from their arsenal. We should get over Jobe just by tiring him out in the clinches especially in the second half.

Caff in the meantime can remind Stanton he's alive.

Number 10

Premiership Player
Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
I can kinda see why they're not exactly brimming with confidence about this one - with Hocking and Myers out there goes a fair amount of mid grunt/tagging options from their arsenal. We should get over Jobe just by tiring him out in the clinches especially in the second half.

Caff in the meantime can remind Stanton he's alive.
Watson won't get tired out. That's silly, it's like saying Pendles or Cloke will get tired out. I think we need to stop heppell. He is the play maker in the team.

In regards to testing a new balance, if it ain't broke why fix it?

The other aspect is that the sub role is one that we just haven't gotten right, IMO, since it's introduction. The only player I've seen really make an impact in the role was JT v Adelaide last year and his ability on the outside is understated. Too often it feels like we fill the role with the 22nd player picked.

For mine I'd like to see the sub role filled by a youngin', with a blend of inside and outside, that can hit the scoreboard and JT is the closest to that in the current line up. Not to mention that he isn't yet at the same level as the two players I discussed previously in pressuring the ball carrier or in contested situations.

I actually think that when it comes to the sub, we're not really looking for an outside impact player, instead we're looking to keep the pressure up around the ball, because that often drops off when players begin to tire in the last quarter, which is why we've been going with an inside mid as the sub - it may also be because we have a fair few inside mids fighting for scarce spots in the team.

In terms of what you're after in a sub, Martin if he wasn't a rookie, would be perfect.

Watson won't get tired out. That's silly, it's like saying Pendles or Cloke will get tired out. I think we need to stop heppell. He is the play maker in the team.

#10 perhaps i am being rather hopeful about perceiving superiority around the stoppages in the second half - due to their reduced quality in mid field rotations.

Back