Preview Round 6 Changes and Pre-Match Discussion Vs Essendon (MCG)

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a couple of quick ones for now:

JT - not sure why some are calling for him to be axed. He has clean hands especially picking the ball off the deck at speed, is good in a tight contest, and has a bit of acceleration to give him that extra second or two to release to a teammate. Thought he did quite well in his first full game in the seniors. He stays in.

Williams - I cannot understand how there are calls to bring him in if the 22 April sentencing goes ok. Marley has not played a game for over two months and you'd also question his state of mind and ability to fully focus after what has surely been an emotional rollercoaster. There is zero chance he gets a call up.

Completely agree.

Also Brown's not an automatic conclusion IMO. If Keeffe or Frost had played poorly then it's a discussion point, but they're both playing well. Has Keeffe even had a goal kicked on him yet this season? I can't recall Mitch Brown, Vickery or Petrie kicking a goal and I'm pretty sure those have been his three opponents. In fact Brown & Vickery were both subbed out and then dropped the following week after playing Keeffey. I don't care that Petrie had 8 marks or whatever he had, he had absolutely no impact in the game.

I really like how our back 6 is going right now, don't want to change it. In fact, wouldn't change the team at all. If we keep winning, then why not?

Williams - I cannot understand how there are calls to bring him in if the 22 April sentencing goes ok. Marley has not played a game for over two months and you'd also question his state of mind and ability to fully focus after what has surely been an emotional rollercoaster. There is zero chance he gets a call up.
Chris Dawes played for Melbourne without coming back through the twos, he came back from injury, no preseason from memory and his last game would have been last year iirc.
Williams has played a game this year, has been training with the group like he has been playing all season.
Sure they are different clubs but it is definitely not a zero percent chance for him to be called up if he is able to be selected.

Chris Dawes played for Melbourne without coming back through the twos, he came back from injury, no preseason from memory and his last game would have been last year iirc.
Williams has played a game this year, has been training with the group like he has been playing all season.
Sure they are different clubs but it is definitely not a zero percent chance for him to be called up if he is able to be selected.
Chris Dawes plays for Melbourne... enough said :p

Melbourne were absolutely desperate though, we're not. The back 6 is playing really well as a unit. Marley comes back through the twos.

Hey, i dont think he will come in, but its not a guarantee that he plays his first game in the twos.
It's a guarantee that if Marley escapes jail time he will come through the VFL.

The match committee and coaches have shown themselves to be conservative and favour stability, making as few changes as possible. IMO they have done a very good job so far despite the calls from some supporters to make numerous changes every week.

Rd 2 Sydney, 2 changes: Blair and White for Clarke and Kennedy + 1 late change: Dwyer for Witts.
White was a no-brainer, Blair for Kennedy surprised a few, but worked out well. Dwyer as the late change was an excellent tactical move.

Rd 3 Geelong, 2 forced changes: Keefe and Fasolo for Brown and Sinclair who were both injured.
Keefe would never have come in if Brown didn't go down. Fasolo may have come in anyway for someone, but that's not a given.

Rd 4 Richmond, 2 forced changes: Witts and Thomas for Dwyer (inj) and Adams (susp)
Adams may have been dropped anyway, but the inclusion of Witts and Thomas were a good call. You may remember many questioning why Witts would be picked especially given the wet conditions, but it proved correct as he played well, helped out Grundy, and released White as a permanent forward.

Rd 5 North (NO changes)

So you can see the trend is about stability and being conservative.

I would be absolutely SHOCKED if Marley was given a spot in the seniors next week. It would seem to go against everything the MC and coaches have been doing so far this season.

Last edited:
Marley won't get a game against Essendon nor will he play the following week.

He needs match fitness and the only we he can get that is by playing footy which he will in the 2s if he doesn't go to jail.

I have faith that the MC are not that stupid to pick him for Friday if he gets off.

I'd be happy with no changes as the side are learning how to play with each other. This is essential if we are to build on our form and its evident that its worked the last couple of weeks.

I think we need to stick with two rucks and if we must drop one, bring in Hudson as a replacement.

Only possible changes if we strictly must are
Out: Blair. Thomas. In: Dwyer, Adams

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I didn't think the rebuild on the run could be done this quickly but we could be a serious force within 6 to 18 months

I didn't think the rebuild on the run could be done this quickly but we could be a serious force within 6 to 18 months

I don't see how we become better than Hawthorn in that short a time

They have some seriously good young players as well, in fact their VFL team is undefeated I hear

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In: Brown

Out: Langdon

Emer: Adams Dwyer Langdon

Putting a very strong squad together with Williams Reid Seedsman and Sinclair to come

Agree. If fit, Brown inclusion a no brainier. Keeffe only just hanging on. Injuries helping his cause. If Reid was fit he'd struggle to hold his spot.

In: Dwyer, Adams, Brown, Williams.
Out: Witts, Blair, Thomas, Langdon.

Must keep playing Thomas. Kid has class written all over him. Hard as a cats head. Still prefer him over Adams as the heir apparent to Ball.

You don't make 4 changes to a winning side. Blair did some nice things, he'll go well Friday.

Why don't people actually think that maybe we made them look terrible?

We smash Richmond in what most people thought was a bit of a danger game - people say Richmond were awful so doesn't count

We beat Sydney in Sydney even though hardly anybody tips us - "Sydney are terrible too"

All three of our wins have been over sides that a lot of people had in their top four calculations prior to the season. We were not discussed in that frame at all. Why can't people be happy with that?

/rant
Add to that I thought we were pretty good against Geelong. Freo being the only real disaster

Agree. If fit, Brown inclusion a no brainier. Keeffe only just hanging on. Injuries helping his cause. If Reid was fit he'd struggle to hold his spot.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-28875-1377623145-17.gif

Hey fellas, just letting you know that you're more than welcome to coe over to our board to discuss the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back