Opinion Round 6 Changes vs. Essendon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Knowing we're the playing the best footy in the league and can absolutely steamroll everyone else in the comp including Essendon this week.

Feels good lads

More chance of Blakely IMO.

I'd love to see either debut.

The rationale behind putting Weller's name forward is that he'll add some outside class and scoring potential.

If any of Mundy, Fyfe or Barlow were to miss, I have no doubt Blakely would be the first in line to replace those big-bodied extractors. As it is, we are dominating the clearances so there isn't really much of a role for Blakely until a forced changed to that set-up arises.

The rationale behind putting Weller's name forward is that he'll add some outside class and scoring potential.

If any of Mundy, Fyfe or Barlow were to miss, I have no doubt Blakely would be the first in line to replace those big-bodied extractors. As it is, we are dominating the clearances so there isn't really much of a role for Blakely until a forced changed to that set-up arises.

I agree with that but Blakely being able to play inside would allow others to either play outside or move forward or back. That's why I'd have him in ahead of Weller.

Spot on, after watching today's game Wellers foot skills would be a very welcome addition.

De Boers numbers look ok for guy who played less than 3/4 of the game.
16 disposals, 7 tackles. That's not exactly how you get dropped from the side.

I like him. Probably the least talented player we put out there this week but what I like about him is that he busts his gut every time he's out there. Didn't think he was too bad today. Always in our highest tacklers for games even if he only plays a quarter.

Honestly no change unless it needs to happen. (IMO we should just give both guys a game off, it's a long season). Mzungu probably first man into the side followed by Crozier, Sheridan and Duffy in that order.

But deBoer also gave away 5 frees and had 6 clangers, so kind of detracts from the good stuff. :(

De Boers numbers look ok for guy who played less than 3/4 of the game.
16 disposals, 7 tackles. That's not exactly how you get dropped from the side.

I like him. Probably the least talented player we put out there this week but what I like about him is that he busts his gut every time he's out there. Didn't think he was too bad today. Always in our highest tacklers for games even if he only plays a quarter.

The problem with De Boer is two fold - the quality of his disposal is rubbish and he gives away too many free kicks. Worse than that, too many *stupid* free kicks. Falls into players backs, that sort of thing.

Full marks for effort, the guy looks like he's playing for his life. If the team was ratshit then at least you could hold him up as an example of a player that tries his guts out. But I just don't think he's best 22.

The problem with De Boer is two fold - the quality of his disposal is rubbish and he gives away too many free kicks. Worse than that, too many *stupid* free kicks. Falls into players backs, that sort of thing.

Full marks for effort, the guy looks like he's playing for his life. If the team was ratshit then at least you could hold him up as an example of a player that tries his guts out. But I just don't think he's best 22.

I would've also thought that he's in the side for his contested ability. Today 14 of his 16 poss were uncontested. If he's going to play outside then we can do much, much better.

I think Pav is far less likely than Son son. He looked quite dazed. In his presser Ross started to say how important Pav is to us but stopped. I think he was indicating it was likely we would rest him due to it being early in the season.

Out: de Boer, Walters
Ins: Mzungu, Croizer
Really hope Pav is more of a precaution but has had concussion last season twice.. Bit miffed by the look of it.
I reckon play Weller, Alex Pearce later on in the season. Dawson should be soon..

Still want Mzungu in the side. Suban showing signs of consistency means de Boer would be my goat.

Worried about the form of Ballantyne. Obviously he gets an extended stretch to get into form but he was ordinary before the suspension and had a very very average game today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The other thing with deboer (and I feel so mean saying this cos I do really like him), is that his decision making is so slow. He more often than not holds things up while looking for the right option - he's just not a quick thinker on the footy field.

I agree with both of these posts. De boer's comparatively poor skills mean that he is little more than a pressure forward, unless used as an inside mid, which he won't unless there are injuries to 4 or 5 in front of him.

I would have much preferred Crozier as the sub today. Greater kicking penetration, better delivery inside 50, more speed and agility, stronger in the air. The one thing that MdB has on Crozier is the strength to consistently stick his tackles, although today he showed that his techqniue may be lacking.

I would've also thought that he's in the side for his contested ability. Today 14 of his 16 poss were uncontested. If he's going to play outside then we can do much, much better.

Immediately following the game I thought Deboer would get a spell, but I watched the second half again and on second viewing, he did better than I thought. Having said that, I would still rather Mzungu get a game ahead of him.....tough call, but competition for spots is a great thing!

While we're winning, I like the idea of him playing. TBH I think he's a high risk for trade at the end of the year and playing increases his currency.

I know, it sounds like there's always a target of our derision. But it's all in the name of finding the small improvements necessary to take the next step :)

This, I don't think we've really had a consensus whipping boy this year although given we're undefeated that shouldn't be surprising. Barlow was copping a fair bit of heat prior till today though, Sutty is going to come under the pump soon too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back