Unofficial Preview Round 6 Changes vs. North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
True. But make no mistake, he's a quality defender. He's easily good enough to quell Tabs. Up against someone like Pav, I'm sure it would be a bit of a different story. In saying that, I don't want to appear to be putting down Tabs, I'm stoked we've got him, but at both stages of their respective careers, I'd say Tippett is a little bit further along.
Thompson is genuine quality. I think pav would have his work cut out for him were Thompson available.

you saw what richards did to him in the first half of the sydney game. Thompson could easily do the same.

my theory on pav at the centre square was to give him a chance to get his hands in the ball and use it well, and to get him away from richards... and a forward line overcrowded with talls. Not just for clearances.

My theory anyway. Who knows if its right.

Top 10 for goals
Code:
Rank     Name     Games     Total
1     Michael Walters     21     46
2     Christopher Mayne     24     37
3     Hayden Ballantyne     21     34
4     Matthew Pavlich     12     25
5     Nathan Fyfe     22     18
6     Nicholas Suban     22     16
6     Tendai Mzungu     25     16
8     Michael Barlow     24     14
9     Stephen Hill     19     12
10     Danyle Pearce     25     10
10     Matthew De Boer     25     10
10     Hayden Crozier     9     10

Code:
1     Michael Walters     21     2.19
2     Matthew Pavlich     12     2.08
3     Hayden Ballantyne     21     1.62
4     Christopher Mayne     24     1.54
5     Kepler Bradley     5     1.40
6     Hayden Crozier     9     1.11
7     Nathan Fyfe     22     0.82
8     Nicholas Suban     22     0.73
9     Lachie Neale     12     0.67
10     Tendai Mzungu     25     0.64

I think RTB will not have many changes to the team but players wili play in different positions .

Hill at HB.
Neale forward Pocket
Silvagni in the other pocket
Sherridan on the wing
Crozier HFF
Clarke to have the job on minding \run with Daw
Ins Silvagni .Crozier , Sherridan
Outs Ballantyne , Sutcliffe , Tabbener .
My sub would be Suban .

A point to raise for discussion
Crozier has the tank for this I think .
Should we try Crozier on a wing and Mzungu on the HFF or forward pocket .
Mzungu has a great contested mark and is a solid kick for goal .
He reads the play so well and can give us a like for like in the ballantyne replacement .
Crozier has speed and contested marking .He also is a good reader of the ball in the air .
I'm not saying this to stir up peole its just a suggestion .

I'd say mixed success rather than great success. Overall, Luke was a middling key forward. Is a champion backman. Shouldn't be done except for a quarter every now and then for good reason, to try to mix things up.

He's no Wayne Carey but a middling key forward is kind of what we need at the moment given that all our proper key forwards are injured. I'm not saying it should be a permanent thing, but I think it's worth a try until Kep/Gumpy/Apeness etc are available. SNOS has shown he's a capable defender.

He reads the play so well and can give us a like for like in the ballantyne replacement .
Crozier has speed and contested marking .He also is a good reader of the ball in the air .

You are posting crazy stuff today. First you say not many changes, but actually you have 3 changes which is a lot, and then you suggest playing everyone out of position. Then here you post up Mzungu as a "like for like" replacement for Ballantyne. You group that suggestion with Crozier on the wing because he has good "contested marking". That says forward line to me, which is where he is currently most comfortable. Puzzling posting with old style Freo strategies peppered throughout.

My thoughts are that Lyon will make minimal structural changes, with Crozier a possible in for Ballantyne, and Sheridan in the mix due to outstanding wafl form. I don't personally see Sylvagni getting a gig this week and don't want him in for Taberner. Better value in keeping Taberner's development going, and i think Sylvagni lost his way before without knowing clearly what was expected of him. Keep it simple for him and he will be great depth for our back line. Throw him forward (or use him in the back line so one of the others goes forward) is a temporary fix that is mucky.

I agree, but it only needs to be a temporary fix. I am happy to keep Tabs in as well. The only thing I don't want to see is us going back to having Pavlich as the only key forward.

He's no Wayne Carey but a middling key forward is kind of what we need at the moment given that all our proper key forwards are injured. I'm not saying it should be a permanent thing, but I think it's worth a try until Kep/Gumpy/Apeness etc are available. SNOS has shown he's a capable defender.

For mine, I don't see Luke being a much more effective key forward than Silva. But the difference in the effect that they'd have down back is stark, especially when you consider the understanding Luke has built with the whole backline (and MJ and Dawson in particular).

If we need a middling (or less than middling) key forward, then Silva is your man. ;)

Or we just back in Tabs and/or Clarke to do the job.

For mine, I don't see Luke being a much more effective key forward than Silva. But the difference in the effect that they'd have down back is stark, especially when you consider the understanding Luke has built with the whole backline (and MJ and Dawson in particular).

If we need a middling (or less than middling) key forward, then Silva is your man. ;)

Or we just back in Tabs and/or Clarke to do the job.

This. Tabs and Clarke to kick 5 goals between them.

You are posting crazy stuff today. First you say not many changes, but actually you have 3 changes which is a lot, and then you suggest playing everyone out of position. Then here you post up Mzungu as a "like for like" replacement for Ballantyne. You group that suggestion with Crozier on the wing because he has good "contested marking". That says forward line to me, which is where he is currently most comfortable. Puzzling posting with old style Freo strategies peppered throughout.

My thoughts are that Lyon will make minimal structural changes, with Crozier a possible in for Ballantyne, and Sheridan in the mix due to outstanding wafl form. I don't personally see Sylvagni getting a gig this week and don't want him in for Taberner. Better value in keeping Taberner's development going, and i think Sylvagni lost his way before without knowing clearly what was expected of him. Keep it simple for him and he will be great depth for our back line. Throw him forward (or use him in the back line so one of the others goes forward) is a temporary fix that is mucky.

I was starting to wonder if Mark Harvey was a poster on BF ;). They're the sort of crazy mass changes we used to see regularly from him.

Clarke is a good ruckman, but he has done very little up forward. I think we should ruck Clarke and Sandi 50/50 to give Sandi more time up forward.

Sandi hasn't really ever done much up forward either. He can take a good contested mark, but he doesn't lead very well which puts it on the mids to be able to bomb it 60m to him before defenders flood back. Teaching Clarke how to lead as a forward will be important for us in the future.

Taberner has had limited success and Pav needs help .
Silvagni offers that by the buckett load . Silvagni can run the blocks and do the physical work and create space for Pav ,he will also get the ball to ground for the crumbing forwards .
Mzungu is a very good contested mark and converter when kicking for goal ,he impacts the scoreboard .
Crozier has struggled to have impact in the forward line the same can be said about Taberner .
Crozier is quick across the ground and reads the play so I'm interested to see how he would go with some space to work in . He could be very damaging on a wing .
Sherridan has been performing at WAFl level and has earned a spot in the best 22 .
Sutcliffe was terrible last week and needs to be dropped to rebuild his confidence .
Suban didn't do enough last week but was no near the worst out there so he holds onto the Sub vest just .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Silvagni offers that by the buckett load . Silvagni can run the blocks and do the physical work and create space for Pav ,he will also get the ball to ground for the crumbing forwards .
Mzungu is a very good contested mark and converter when kicking for goal ,he impacts the scoreboard .
Crozier has struggled to have impact in the forward line the same can be said about Taberner .
Crozier is quick across the ground and reads the play so I'm interested to see how he would go with some space to work in . He could be very damaging on a wing .
Sherridan has been performing at WAFl level and has earned a spot in the best 22 .
Sutcliffe was terrible last week and needs to be dropped to rebuild his confidence .
Suban didn't do enough last week but was no near the worst out there so he holds onto the Sub vest just .

That's not exactly a strength of ours, ATM.

Silvagni offers that by the buckett load . Silvagni can run the blocks and do the physical work and create space for Pav ,he will also get the ball to ground for the crumbing forwards
lol.

Sandi hasn't really ever done much up forward either. He can take a good contested mark, but he doesn't lead very well which puts it on the mids to be able to bomb it 60m to him before defenders flood back. Teaching Clarke how to lead as a forward will be important for us in the future.
He doesn't spend a lot of time near the goals. They can both take a contested mark, but I'd rather Sandi was taking them than Zarke if my life depended on it. Sandi was 2nd in the AFL for contested marks in 2013, and is 5th in contested marks per game so far this year. He takes more contested grabs than Pav and Fyfe.

In the future, Griff will be the fwd/ruck and Zac will be the primary ruck. Sandi needs his workload managed closely if he's going to last to the pointy end, which is another major reason to rest him forward more. ATM Zac doesn't have the match fitness to ruck a whole game, which is why I was thinking we should ruck them 50/50.

He doesn't spend a lot of time near the goals. They can both take a contested mark, but I'd rather Sandi was taking them than Zarke if my life depended on it. Sandi was 2nd in the AFL for contested marks in 2013, and is 5th in contested marks per game so far this year. He takes more contested grabs than Pav and Fyfe.

In the future, Griff will be the fwd/ruck and Zac will be the primary ruck. Sandi needs his workload managed closely if he's going to last to the pointy end, which is another major reason to rest him forward more. ATM Zac doesn't have the match fitness to ruck a whole game, which is why I was thinking we should ruck them 50/50.

I probably should fact check this before posting, but what the hell.

I find that scenario highly unlikely. I doubt he was even close to second at the club.

He played what maybe a third of a season? Yet he was second in the league for contested marks? You do remember his inability to take a grab, contested or not when he first came back too, right?

If he did mangage to be 2nd in the league after a handful of games, then holy cow! That is some feat.

I think they mean per game. But yeah, contested marking is not the only thing that counts as a forward.

Nice work.

Would be handy to look at what 2013 said as well, as its a larger sample. So it should tell us a bit more about what players can potentially do, rather than just what they've done this year.

Hope snd doesn't see this bit of the thread. Not a fan of stats. Fortunately he doesn't like these threads... so maybe it'll slip past his notice. ;)
For 2013
Total goals kicked
Walters (46) Mayne (37) Balla (34) Pav (25) Fyfe (18) Suban & Gu (16)
Accuracy
Tabs (100%) Hannath (87%) Sutty (80%) Sandi (75%) Clarke (72.7%) Bradley (70%) Mayne (68.5%) Gu, Sherridan & Crozier (66.7%)
Avg per match
Walters (2.2) Pav (2.1) Balla (1.6) Mayne (1.5) Kep (1.4)

This when compared to the numbers I posted before shows up some really interesting things;
  • Mayne is not the only one out of form. Walters has not had a good start to the year. Pav despite being fit has been poor on accuracy (though he was last year as well) and goals per game (though this has changed in the last few matches).
  • Kep was better than I gave him credit for (though only for 5 games) :eek:
  • Rucks are good at the kicking bit just not at getting shots
  • The Gu is the most consistent kick on goal we have over the last 18 months
  • Tabs has not missed yet (unless there is an out of bounds I'm missing) but he has only had 4 shots in 6 matches
With these numbers its interesting to add in marks inside 50.
  • Mayne did so well last year because of 35 @ 1.5 per match (pm) but this year he is only traveling at 0.7 pm
  • Pav is up, marking 27 @ 2.6 pm this year :thumbsu: which is above last years 2.2 pm he is one of the comp at this. But that accuracy of 49% over two seasons is killing him.:(
  • Fyfe was also guilty of killing it having taken 18@ 0.8pm last year but converting at 44% (we obviously shouldn't have been surprised in the GF):(
  • Both Balla and Walters did well with 30@1.4pm and 31@1.5pm respectively but both are well down this year @ 0.6 pm
  • The Gu was rocking this last year with 19 @ 0.8pm though he is also down slightly @ 0.6pm in 2014
  • The ruck/forward types were lead by Hanneth :eek: with 7 @ 0.6pm and everyone else getting 0.4pm or worse (that's you two Zac & Tabs)
Topically Josh Simpson by fluke did well in some of these numbers. 1 match players have weird results but his 2 marks inside 50 last year and 1 goal mean that his "per match" stats are better than most. But not replicated in his one match this year.;) Still it boads well for the future.

Generally it would be nice to look at tackles inside 50 but I have no idea how to get this,

I probably should fact check this before posting, but what the hell.

I find that scenario highly unlikely. I doubt he was even close to second at the club.

He played what maybe a third of a season? Yet he was second in the league for contested marks? You do remember his inability to take a grab, contested or not when he first came back too, right?

If he did mangage to be 2nd in the league after a handful of games, then holy cow! That is some feat.

I grabbed that from footywire => http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc-fremantle-dockers--aaron-sandilands

I got confused with the rankings down the bottom.

I think they mean per game. But yeah, contested marking is not the only thing that counts as a forward.
Lol, of course it isn't the only thing that counts. He's a pretty good kick for goal as well.
It probably won't happen anyway, as Ross like him as the primary ruck by all evidence.

Lol, of course it isn't the only thing that counts. He's a pretty good kick for goal as well.
It probably won't happen anyway, as Ross like him as the primary ruck by all evidence.

What I meant is that most forwards take a lot more uncontested marks than contested. It's nice to take a big pack mark, but more goals are kicked by forwards marking on a lead. That's why good key forwards are so rare and valuable, because plenty of players have all the physical attributes but can't master the art of leading.

Anyone else read this like a haiku?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back