Game Day Round 6- Eagles v Carlton at Docklands- Juddgement Dday

Remove this Banner Ad

< Serious preview with matchups, tactics and other useful stuff IS NOW IN POST 2!>

I- Veni, Vidi, Visy (I Came, I Saw, I Cheated)

It had been a productive morning for The Friends of West Coast Society. We agreed upon how best to return the wings (#returnthewings), argued over who was the best ‘Jones’ to represent the club (#teamchad), and placed a few friendly wagers on the upcoming game. The lunch, however, had some distinctly unusual moments. Ian Dargie had caused the waitress a lot of distress after she described the tea as having a ‘cinnamon-type’ flavour, and quickstraw berated her for not updating the cost of the bill regularly enough. Even Big Tones disappeared halfway through for what he insisted “wasn’t training”, but his moustache fell off as he hurried out and with no sign of the sore back he was talking about the other week.

I personally had found the waitress quite nice- she called me Mr Quinz, and complimented everything we ordered. She even mentioned some places she liked around the area, and kept trying to convince us to order bacon. As we got up to leave, she stopped us, mentioning that she had overheard our conversation about Carlton and West Coast, and wanted us to look at a book she had found, which seemed to foretell the history of the two clubs. Intrigued, we agreed to read through it, and below is an excerpt of what was an incredible account.

images

Chapter XIXVVIX, in which our Hero ventures further Down than any man before Him, to the depths of the Earth and the Ninth circle of Hell, where the treacherously fraudulent are Punished, and what He Found there.

Swift and his companion, the renowned scholar Luke Darcy, had continued their journey towards the centre of Hell. The closer they got to Victoria, the stranger and more dangerous their mission had proven. Now, they stepped into the centre circle itself, the region known as Juddeccä. Swift, with the piercing vision and speed of thought that defined him, spotted a figure towering over AFL house. The emperor of the despondent kingdom, so towering up from the ice, was indeed Andrew the Defiler.

Darcy had not liked the way he went about it, and they decided to peer from a distance at the beast, who (or whom?) towered over his surroundings, and cast a demonic shadow over them all. Many creatures they had passed and sights they had seen on their journey, from the offsite medical clinic used by Essendon, to the goat pen where the MRP held rituals to determine from the Gods the fates of the accused. But no sight had filled them with such terror and loathing as what now lay before them.

tumblr_mesjwbZ2rq1rxwtlwo1_1280.jpg

“This man is an elite force of evil if ever I’ve seen one”, said Darcy.

“Say that again?” murmured Swift, but got nothing but a scowl in return. They crept closer, under the cover of the convenient media puff pieces and injunction notices that littered the area, until they could move no further. Here it was that they heard trumpets playing, saw lines scratched on the ground, RE THE N VY BLU , and got a clear look at the fate of the treacherous. The demon had three heads, each of which was devouring a man wearing a navy blue shirt. Swift turned to Darcy for an explanation.

“There are three brave men up there” whispered the scholar, with tears in his eyes, “who are destined to be forever punished for their sins. On the left is Marc Murphy, one who betrays his father.” And Swift saw that it was so, as even while being devoured he managed to throw his head back to accentuate contact.

“On the right is Mick Malthouse, traitor of team and club.” Swift nodded, having knowledge of the once great coach.

“And in the centre, the man for whom this region is named. They call him Juddas, traitor of faith and conscience. Chris Judd is elite at being brave, and you can see how he has attempted to gouge the eyes of his tormentor even now”. With that the scholar fell silent, for once having nothing more to say.

Beside them stood records of history, and portents of the future. A sign below a mighty statue, that was crumbled and worn, read “CARLTON 1897-1995- Vini, Vidi, Visy”. Around it were premiership trophies, dusty and dull, some buried in the sand.

It was to the right of that though, near another statue where the sound of the trumpets failed to reach, that bore the words “CARLTON 1995-“. Under that, a box stood, and written on it the words “In Case of Premiership, Break Cardboard”. Nothing beside remains. Round the decay of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare the lone and level sands stretch far away.

Eagles by 77.

Last edited:
II- The Season So Far: Dimly Aware of a Certain Unease in the Air

APRIL is the cruellest month in football. With the exception of September obviously, and probably August as well. May, June and July aren’t flash either. In fact, don’t you miss pre-season, when there was none of this crippling pressure and analysis of failure and speculation and rumour and innuendo and WHY CAN’T WE KICK GOALS NO ONE WINS GAMES WITHOUT KICKING GOALS.. *I lean away from the keyboard to breathe*

Pre-season optimism and early season form came crashing to a halt in April for the Eagles, and even earlier than that for Carlton. After a 3-0 start against competition heavyweights Footscray, Melbourne and St Kilda, the Eagles elected to go with a no-goals policy, having kicked quite a few in the first few rounds. At odds with conventional wisdom it may have been, but the Eagles pulled it off superbly, posting an astonishing no goals in the last three quarters of the game against Geelong. The game against Port saw more shots at the big sticks, but not too many more going through.

The media all over the country were heaping praise on the team, but I think many of us still saw warning signs in those early games, particularly with our ball movement and number of marks inside 50. Everyone is jumping off again [we’re still forth, by the way… somehow], and it’s clear that now the real work begins, with a challenging period leading up to and straight after the bye. New coach Adam Simpson understands this, and said in his most recent press conference “One day you’re the most important person who ever lived. The next day you’re some shmo working in a box factory”.

With that convenient lead-in and blatant reuse of an earlier joke, our opponents for the week are the Navy Blues. They finally won their first game for the season against the Bulldogs this week, in a much improved performance from their first month, which culminated in a loss to the Demons in Round 4. Mick Malthouse and the team are under a lot of pressure to get the Blues rolling, and they will see the Eagles as a team they can beat, despite their new injuries on the weekend.

Strap yourselves in; it’s going to be a blockbuster! Boy oh boy WOWEE!

III- A Game of Chess

Where is this game going to be won?

West Coast in 2014:
16th in Centre Clearances
12th in Inside 50s
16th in Marks inside 50

Carlton in 2014:
16th in Uncontested Possessions
14th in Disposal Efficiency
13th in Inside 50s
7th in Marks inside 50
4th in Clearances

There are a few statistics that stand out when looking at the two teams and one of them is the efficiency of taking marks when going inside 50. Where West Coast is mid table in inside 50s, with a tall forward line that is supposed to wreak havoc, they are almost dead last in marks inside 50, a terrible return per entry. Carlton on the other hand is about the same level for getting the ball in, but takes a lot more marks when they do, but only winning 1 game for the season

The Blues have an issue with getting their hands on the ball outside the stoppages, with a question mark over their fitness early in the season. They are good at getting the ball out of the centre however, where the Eagles despite having a strong ruck division haven’t won many centre square duals in 2014.

One issue that has been on the agenda for the Eagles is the situation with the talls. After playing three rucks in the first three weeks, Callum Sinclair and Scott Lycett have been sent back to tear up the WAFL while the Cox-Naitanui combo battles away, without the influence of years past to this stage. This appears to be a more balanced setup, because the marks weren’t coming inside 50 despite all the talls, and adding an extra runner should help.

That leads to the other obvious Achilles heel of this West Coast side- the midfield. There are a lot of B-graders in the team, but no A-grade game breakers, and that is probably the biggest issue that Simpson and the match committee have to try and address. There is no quick fix for 2014, but the midfield has some young players that are still coming into their prime- the question remains if they can reach the levels required to carry this team to the heights it’s aiming for. Flexibility was the mantra at Hawthorn when Simpson was there, and already this season we have seen Elliot Yeo, Xavier Ellis, Jack Darling, and Brad Sheppard in at the centre bounces, in an attempt to have more players rotating through to try and compensate for the lack of true top end talent. It hasn’t worked, yet, but the game plan is still new.

IIII- Teams, Changes and Injuries

<Teams to be names on Thursday, information below is all rumour and innuendo, which are kinds of evidence>

Mentioning injuries is a mugs game, but there have been some players out for both sides lately. Carlton copped a triple blow with Judd in his return game lasting only 6 minutes. Ed Curnow slammed into the goalpost, which was lucky to escape with no suspension (first Glass and now this!!! /robbo) but Curnow will now miss significant time. Tom Bell went off injured as well, and won’t return possible until after the bye.

Xavier Ellis wasn’t able to be put back together again by all the Kings horses and all the Kings men, so JD needs to lift his game. Unfortunately it looks like X-man will miss this week, but the club is hopeful to have him back soon. No other injury news at the time this goes to air, I hear rumours about Wellingham missing but I can’t see the future so… On the suspension shirtfront, courageous skipper Darren Glass was shattered to be given a one match ban for a perfectly legal bump. You may have missed this one; it didn’t get a lot of hysterical handwringing coverage in the media during the week.

On the chopping block, I would suspect Josh Hill and Jamie Cripps would want to put in a lot of effort on the track. Lack of options in their position may save them this week. Dom Shred is still adjusting to the tempo, but again there isn’t anyone knocking down the door for his spot.

VX- Matchups and Key Players

Marc Murphy v Scott Selwood- Without his usual bunny in Chris Judd to head to, Scooter should be looking to lock down on Murphy. The Carlton skipper had a very good game against the Bulldogs, gathering possessions at will, laying 12 tackles and booting two goals. When he is allowed space he can be very dangerous, and giving Scooter a tough job should get him involved in the game as well, after a few down weeks

Eric MacKenzie v Lachie Henderson- Five goal hero Henderson is the obvious target for Extra Defendzie, who had a reasonable game against the Sergeant, although he kicked two goals. One of the most reliable key defenders in the competition, Mackenzie has battled well this season against a rampant Nick Reiwoldt, and other players who probably are alright too. Henderson would do very well to repeat his Bulldogs form against a tougher opponent.

Chris Yarran v Elliot Yeo- Not sure if this matchup will eventuate, it depends where Yarran is played, but it’s not Adam Selwood so I won’t be having nightmares come Saturday night.

Andrew Carrazzo v Matt Rosa- I don’t expect either of them to be within 20m of each other, even if they’re playing on the same wing. Loose ball kings, Rosa is having a fantastic season however, a very important link in the transition from defence to attack, knows the right spots to run to.

Other key players for both sides include Andrew Walker, who continues to get a lot of ball in a variety of positions, and is one of Carlton’s most consistent performers. Dale Thomas is also moving somewhere towards his best form, and has a good record against the Eagles. Bryce Gibbs has been hot and cold, with a contract still yet to be signed, and is another one who can get off the leash.

For the Eagles, Jack Darling has been prowling the midfield and forward-line in dominant fashion, kicking goals and taking names. Luke Shuey is still hovering around the edges of playing great football, and could be one to watch against Carlton. Jamie Bennell has had a ripping start to the season, contrary to the expectations of many, and his pace and vision out of defence has been a rare bright spark in the last fortnight.

VI- Predictions

Highest goalkicker- Josh ‘The guy with the funny set shot action’ Kennedy to get his radar back on track with four goals.
Brave references- 11
Marks taken by Naitanui- 0
Times Glass’s suspension is mentioned- 23
Final Score FFS! - West Coast 10.15.75 d Carlton 7.10.52 jubilantmasto.jpeg

Have at it.

Last edited:

The Blues confirmed on Monday that Judd will miss five weeks with a hamstring injury, while Curnow will miss six weeks after fracturing his fibula.

Bell will require surgery on a fractured finger and will be out for three to four weeks, Jamison might be out as well and a few others so the Eagles should smash us, too many injuries.

Last edited:
The Blues confirmed on Monday that Judd will miss five weeks with a hamstring injury, while Curnow will miss six weeks after fracturing his fibula.

Bell will require surgery on a fractured finger and will be out for three to four weeks, Jamison might be out as well and a few other so the Eagles should smash up, too many injuries.

Do you think it will be 100+ ?
The Eagles don't play Melbourne MCG/Etihad as good as Subi but surely it'll be big. WCE were in great form on the weekend despite losing.

Do you think it will be 100+ ?
The Eagles don't play Melbourne MCG/Etihad as good as Subi but surely it'll be big. WCE were in great form on the weekend despite losing.
Won't be huge; Carlton are better than they have shown this year, and we aren't as good as those early wins made us seem.

Reckon we'll get up by a few goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whats the feeling amongst ya's out there?
We gonna do this? or balls it up and either a- not take our chances and give it to carlton or b- just have one those docklands shocker we're prone to once every season???
Reckon we can win, and if we wanna have any chance of making the top 6 we need to do win it, gotta get Carlton now whilst they're (somewhat) down

I wouldn't be too worried you will smash up by 100.
Relax, I don't see any possibility of a Car(-l)nage given our recent form. If we play like we did against the saints, let alone Geelong, we'll lose. I think/hope we'll win but am much less confident than I was against say, Bullies (given it was at Subi) or Melbourne. Should be a close game given the venue, outs and our respective form

Relax, I don't see any possibility of a Car(-l)nage given our recent form. If we play like we did against the saints, let alone Geelong, we'll lose. I think/hope we'll win but am much less confident than I was against say, Bullies (given it was at Subi) or Melbourne. Should be a close game given the venue, outs and our respective form

Your form is miles ahead of ours, trust me we will get killed.

Your form is miles ahead of ours, trust me we will get killed.
Maybe as an entire season it's ahead but current form isn't . We're coming off 2 losses in a row and 3 bad games in a row, whilst you seem to be turning it around based on the Bullies win (despite the Melb game). I'd be more confident of a comfortable win if it was at Subi but given it's in Melb off a 6d break and you have a good head to head recent record against us , I'm sure it will be close and I won't be shocked (just really disappointed ) if we lose .

Maybe as an entire season it's ahead but current form isn't . We're coming off 2 losses in a row and 3 bad games in a row, whilst you seem to be turning it around based on the Bullies win (despite the Melb game). I'd be more confident of a comfortable win if it was at Subi but given it's in Melb off a 6d break and you have a good head to head recent record against us , I'm sure it will be close and I won't be shocked (just really disappointed ) if we lose .

Bulldogs aren't that good a side, you guys have too much talent around the ground, especially now that Bell, Judd, Curnow are gone and then add Kruz and Jamison on top of that, it's a no contest really.

Bulldogs aren't that good a side, you guys have too much talent around the ground, especially now that Bell, Judd, Curnow are gone and then add Kruz and Jamison on top of that, it's a no contest really.

I agree eagles might get over the line, but only by a few goals I think.

Our season as a whole has been pretty unconvincing. Our forward line in particular has not functioned well at all and our midfield is quite laughable. I don't think it will be a smashing. We just haven't functioned like a very good team at the moment.

I agree eagles might get over the line, but only by a few goals I think.

Our season as a whole has been pretty unconvincing. Our forward line in particular has not functioned well at all and our midfield is quite laughable. I don't think it will be a smashing. We just haven't functioned like a very good team at the moment.

Even though your form hasnt been too good, you are still a gun team, have too many options for our out of form, injury ravaged side. Too much class your guys have allover the park, I just can't see us getting anywhere near you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back