Unofficial Preview Round 6 Early Thoughts - Sydney vs Melbourne

Status
Not open for further replies.

wobblyboot

Team Captain
Feb 23, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Sure didn't play like a follower, played more like a forward flanker/pocket to me. But then again at my old age of what was it again... 28? I might be forgetting a few things...
was listed as ...played all over ....a lot in defence when I looked at the replay...

Swandwagonner

Senior List
Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
Great to see the champ back, I am concerned at what they will do with him. I personally would like to him start as sub.

I know people say he needs match fitness but we need him in September, not round 6 v Melbourne. He has 16 weeks to get match fit. I would mind him being our sub for the next 3-4 weeks if it guaranteed him for for finals. Right now it should be about easing him into senior footy, allowing his body to adjust to the physical pressures again.

How derickx has played 6 games straight is Beyond me, he must be laughing

The club has people to make these decisions. Goodes is a champion and both he and the club will be looking out for his welfare.

As to Derrickx, he is contributing to the team, and must be meeting the benchmarks that the club have set. Taubs has been very successful in developing our ruck stocks. We need more than pyke to be still firing in September, and it is not reasonable nor realistic to pin your ruck hopes on a rookie, albeit a live one in big tobias nankervis.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

wobblyboot

Team Captain
Feb 23, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
The club has people to make these decisions. Goodes is a champion and both he and the club will be looking out for his welfare.

As to Derrickx, he is contributing to the team, and must be meeting the benchmarks that the club have set. Taubs has been very successful in developing our ruck stocks. We need more than pyke to be still firing in September, and it is not reasonable nor realistic to pin your ruck hopes on a rookie, albeit a live one in big tobias nankervis.

You are sane ....most of us are hopefuls looking for then next one

Apr 19, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Swans Blog
was listed as ...played all over ....a lot in defence when I looked at the replay...
He ran with Stephen Hill all night so he was playing through the midfield mainly. Wing and on ball.

Fair enough. I thought McGlynn was tagging at one point because he was literally everywhere.

It's pretty good having a couple of different players that can play such a variety of roles and be good at them. I reckon if McGlynn wasn't so small he'd be an excellent midfielder. Not that he shirks anything.

Apr 19, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Swans Blog

I think most people look at Nankers, Derickx etc. as stop-gaps until Tippet is firing. I think at some point last year Horse was saying that when Tippet is fit & firing he'll play forward/2nd ruck the same way that Roughead does.

Swandwagonner

Senior List
Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
At some point, there has to be more than hard work as a requisite to to get a game. I hate to bash swans players but he just isn't good at football
Actually derrickx had better stats than bj. More tackles, more marks, more disposals. Maybe bj might have got there in his final quarter if he was not subbed but then again maybe that was why he was subbed.

I don't see Reid playing this week. After last year I don't really want him to either.

Good luck to tom D. I'll be cheering for him. Another recycled player turned around by the Sydney system! :)

wobblyboot

Team Captain
Feb 23, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Fair enough. I thought McGlynn was tagging at one point because he was literally everywhere.

It's pretty good having a couple of different players that can play such a variety of roles and be good at them. I reckon if McGlynn wasn't so small he'd be an excellent midfielder. Not that he shirks anything.
Was a champion last week ...made mistakes .. but
I think most people look at Nankers, Derickx etc. as stop-gaps until Tippet is firing. I think at some point last year Horse was saying that when Tippet is fit & firing he'll play forward/2nd ruck the same way that Roughead does.
I agree to some point Naismith is more ruck, Nankers is more Pike..a bit ruck and abit forward..more seasoned though

Apr 19, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Swans Blog
Was a champion last week ...made mistakes .. but

I agree to some point Naismith is more ruck, Nankers is more Pike..a bit ruck and abit forward..more seasoned though
He's a bit young though only 19 or something and barely any experience. I think a good half-season or more in the reserves will do him fine. Get some more bulk and fitness into him and tell him he's a genuine chance for a 2015 position, go for your life. It's fair to suggest that Shaw & Goodes would probably retire if we make the GF this year, so another ruck isn't a bad option.

Too bad we couldn't land that Grundy kid from the Pies. He's good.

Swandwagonner

Senior List
Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
Agreed but we need these boys just in case. Derx has played more games than goodes, Reid and Tippo combined thus far. We need depth in our ruck division so we need players like him to make the most of their opportunities.

Maenad

Debutant
Feb 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Swans 13th V Them 17th
This is a critical game to set up team confidence and structure moving forward.

Goodes has to come in at some stage. I would be happy him playing every 2nd week and see how useful he is then work it from there.

BJ is fantastic but got dragged for a reason (probably would have run out of legs against Freo).

D-rex is a necessary evil but I like his "this is my last chance" vigour. He needs game time as he will be required come pointy end of season like it or not.

Reid has got to, got to take the next step, no excuses.

Laidler will win over some swans fans eventually when they accept that AJ is not playing this season.

Rampe was thrown to the wolves last year and responded with merit and has continued this year (Jude knows a thing or two).

My love for Parker has no bounds, he will be elite and remembered as a great of the game.

Buddys' learning to kick straight but has an inverse effect on his driving.

Just some of my thoughts.
A person should not be too honest. Straight trees are cut first and honest people are screwed first.
Welcome Chakanya

wobblyboot

Team Captain
Feb 23, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
He's a bit young though only 19 or something and barely any experience. I think a good half-season or more in the reserves will do him fine. Get some more bulk and fitness into him and tell him he's a genuine chance for a 2015 position, go for your life. It's fair to suggest that Shaw & Goodes would probably retire if we make the GF this year, so another ruck isn't a bad option.

Too bad we couldn't land that Grundy kid from the Pies. He's good.
agree

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Swans 13th V Them 17th

Great pick up -- our current ladder position relative to the opposition should not be overlooked despite the small sample size of matches. Before last week we hadn't set the world on fire this season, to put it mildly. This week's game is a must win.

We need more quotes from Indian philosophers on this board ;)

Apr 19, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Swans Blog
Agreed but we need these boys just in case. Derx has played more games than goodes, Reid and Tippo combined thus far. We need depth in our ruck division so we need players like him to make the most of their opportunities.
I don't think he's a bad player, can be a good tap ruckman because he's got size and can get his mits on the ball. The ground stuff can be worked on but for one thing, he sure as hell doesn't lack effort or application. You can work with that. Just look at the big canadian. Every time he marks or kicks the ball I wonder what science is this..

The way Harry played on Hill was fantastic.

I am very interested to see him do the same on Hawthorns Hill who is becoming a 2012 Jetta type player for them.

Getting a bit ahead of myself though. Great to see A goodes inthe line up.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
Trying to think of who McGlynn will go to and I imagine they'll try to send him to Jones but that match up might just not work because Jones may well go to Kieren or JPK. I think Cunningham will go to their best outside runner, Bernie Vince. It's not a perfect match up though and I wonder if perhaps the coaches might send him forward again due to there not being a particularly great match up for him in the middle. I'd still anticipate him going to Vince.

Maenad

Debutant
Feb 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
I don't think he's a bad player, can be a good tap ruckman because he's got size and can get his mits on the ball. The ground stuff can be worked on but for one thing, he sure as hell doesn't lack effort or application. You can work with that. Just look at the big canadian. Every time he marks or kicks the ball I wonder what science is this..

D-rex coming from the tiggers footy factory, there is alot that can be improved.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
How do we compare to Geelong with respect to
1. Hard decisions
2. Continuity of success
Continued continuity of success

We've been playing finals almost continuously since 1996. By the end of 2015 Sydney will probably rank as the most consistent team of the past 20 years with (I hope) 3 premierships, 5 GF appearances and a host of finals played. That's continuity of success.

Our finals success has mostly come on the back of our older more experienced players (see 2012 Norm Smith). Young players might get you to the finals but it takes seasoned finals-smart hardened bodies to win them.

Maenad

Debutant
Feb 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
We've been playing finals almost continuously since 1996. By the end of 2015 Sydney will probably rank as the most consistent team of the past 20 years with (I hope) 3 premierships, 5 GF appearances and a host of finals played. That's continuity of success.

Our finals success has mostly come on the back of our older more experienced players (see 2012 Norm Smith). Young players might get you to the finals but it takes seasoned finals-smart hardened bodies to win them.

Geelong = 3 premierships in 5 years. Compare

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Another tall comes in for a small.. hmm

Goodes can play tall, small, quick, inside, outside, ruck, forward, defender and orange boy. He can crumb anything, spoil anything, mark anything and kick the leather off a Sherrin. He marks overhead, below his knees, in a pack or out in space. He's lightning over 20m, Mensa smart, strong as a wrestler and has more tricks than a magician. He doesn't crash cars.

I like BJ (who doesn't ?) but he would be honoured to make way for the great man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back