Unofficial Preview Round 6 Early Thoughts - Sydney vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just came in to express the same thing re: Goodes. I don't think any player coming back from a major injury / layoff, no matter how talented, should ever come straight back into a seniors side. We made the mistake with Reid last year, funnily enough against Melbourne? Goodes either plays reserves or if you don't want him to play in Mackay he plays reserves the week after.

For the first time this year we have a dilemma - the possibility that we will have to fit in best 22 player/s into a winning side.

Tippett will almost certainly come in you would think but not sure at who's expense, pains me to say but LRT looks shaky.
If Mitchell is fit for midfield duties he starts, BJ or Lloyd will go out. Mitchell mustn't be played as a small forward.
Goodes if fit might go green vest, can't see they are going to send him to the Qld outback for a gallop, again BJ or Lloyd will make way.
After reading all the reports on Nankervis, he must be getting close to displacing Derickx but can't see tht many changes in one week.
ROK, sorry but there's no spot for him.

Interesting dilemma but we have to have guys like Tippett, Goodes, Mitchell on song by the time we meet Hawthorn in three weeks May 9th.

Goodes won't be fit, and if anything, we shouldn't be dropping Mitchell for BJack or Cunningham or anyone else in that team based on his form.
If Tippet is fit enough, he will come in for Derickx and that's probably the only change baring injuries.

I would be livid if we dropped Bird for Mitchell.

Ok don't bring Goodes back yet , Judd just did him hammy in 3 mins
I think the message is don't bring him back as a sub......have him start and run from the get go..

Having said that, I think both Goodes and Mitchell would do well with at least one more week off....
I'm going to the game so I hope Goodesy plays.

Actually I hope we can play 26 players including Ryan O, Mitchell, Tippo, and on the performance this week hacking down last year's grand finalist, none of the players deserve to be dropped!

Ok. Might be slightly off topic but just been looking at what time gates open for the game. Came across that this game is considered a class C game. Seating plan makes no reference to GA and in the pricing lists GA for members with entry entitlements at $8.50. I'm presuming it will be just a standard rock up, pay nothing and sit wherever on Level 1 or 3 sort of thing and that the MCG website is just poorly worded?

Any idea?

http://www.mcg.org.au/Events/Tickets/Ticket Prices.aspx

I'd bring Tippett in for Derrickx and that's about it. The team performed well against a highly structured opponent, they've all done well to keep their spots in the team.

I think Derrickx kept his spot against Freo purely because of Sandilands. Pyke needed additional assistance that won't be required against Melbourne.

I'd have LRT sharing the ruck load with Pyke, regardless of whether he's a decent ruckman or not. We can't afford Tippett going near the ruck until he's proven his body can handle the toll, and even then I'd only use him sparingly.

Goodes should not go anywhere near the seniors. We've been extremely cautious in our handling of his injury, so no sense in bringing him back any sooner than he's ready to come back. A light run in the ressies would be the way to go, if anything.

I'd give Mitchell a run in the 2's next week, he hasn't set the world on fire so far, so having him find form in the 2's without the added pressure would be the way to go.

Ok. Might be slightly off topic but just been looking at what time gates open for the game. Came across that this game is considered a class C game. Seating plan makes no reference to GA and in the pricing lists GA for members with entry entitlements at $8.50. I'm presuming it will be just a standard rock up, pay nothing and sit wherever on Level 1 or 3 sort of thing and that the MCG website is just poorly worded?

Any idea?

http://www.mcg.org.au/Events/Tickets/Ticket Prices.aspx

I am presuming so.....not sure how the pricing works this year either?

I'd bring Tippett in for Derrickx and that's about it. The team performed well against a highly structured opponent, they've all done well to keep their spots in the team.

I think Derrickx kept his spot against Freo purely because of Sandilands. Pyke needed additional assistance that won't be required against Melbourne.

I'd have LRT sharing the ruck load with Pyke, regardless of whether he's a decent ruckman or not. We can't afford Tippett going near the ruck until he's proven his body can handle the toll, and even then I'd only use him sparingly.
I think the coaches have faith in big Tom D, and may persist with him. They recruited him to fill a role and whilst he is not setting the world on fire I do like his effort. Good tackling pressure, serviceable ruck work, better than LRT in the ruck and better than risking tippo at present.

He may get some more time as we need to develop rucks with the departure of mummy and pyke won't be around forever. Yes Nank and Naismith are good prospects but TD already has a proper seniors body on him.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will not be happy of we scrape past the line against Melbourne. IMO if we see anything less than the intensity we saw against freo, I will count it as a loss.

We shouldn't need our backs against the wall and be the laughing stock of the league before the players put in the effort that is required.

Yesast week was great but that was last week, if it doesn't carry on from here then it means nothing.

We need to be cut throat this week. Send a message to league. Write is off at your own peril !

I liked the mix on the weekend. A better balance of grunt and pace. Bird showed exactly what ROK needs to be doing. But I don't really want to see Tippo come in and be required to ruck, though. I'm not exactly sold on Derickx, but we need backup for Pyke.

We were annihilated in the ruck. But having two wrecking balls smashing around fatigued the freo crew and blunted their dominance.

I thought Cunningham spending time on the back line worked for us too. Seemed to release Mal, Rampe and Macca when he did that.

LRT will retain his spot until Reid/Goodes returns as that swing role is up for grabs. But ultimately he is a depth player for us this season - or should be.

I'm starting to think if Goodes does come back he's actually going to take ROK's spot as a high mid. We know he can play small, but fwd he's likely more dangerous than O'Keefe?

We won't bring back Tippett and Goodes in one go - Horse said so himself.

Play LRT ruck, Tippett forward and drop Derikxxkzkxkck

I just hope the coaching staff don't make a stupid call and drop one of BJ/Lloyd ( have a strange feeling ) and bring Tippett in for one of them and then make which one plays sub as it would be the slowest Team we might ever see and will get cut on the MCG regardless who we are playing. The balance was right on the weekend Bird replaces ROK and is much more capable resting forward than ROK and BJ replaces McGlynn up forward as that zippy little prick that scares the s**t out of defenders , something we miss as resting mids like Mitchell is not working.
Rohan is in the best 22 in my eyes but if he cant get through a game with his leg well I don't know how much we will see of him this year in the seniors which is a shame because he could really get of the leash when Goodes , Reid come back as he is a very hard match up with his speed and height.

Reid won't be back for a few weeks yet. If the other 3 are fit, I'd say.

IN: Tippett, Goodes, Mitchell
OUT: Derickx, B. Jack (anyone else that can go out?), J. Lloyd (Mind you, none of these guys were bad last night).

Goodes get the vest and swaps with Tippett some time in the 3rd term. If Mitchell isn't fit, BJ stays in the side.

Issue with those changes is that we need BJ as a crumber.
Unless Mitchell plays 70%+ midfield I cant see how he will get a game and please don't take this the wrong way ( anyone ) as I think Mitchell will be a star no doubt but he will be a star as a inside mid what his game is built around , hard in extractor with great hands in and under. The way I see it and as I said don't take this the wrong way but if Mitchell is to come in and just play forward i think it is the wrong position and call and not bagging him one little bit but just stating of obvious that Mitchell lacks leg speed and is not a crumbing forward and doesn't have slick foot work and dance around players and kick goals out of no where so if he is not to play most part of the game in the middle and it comes down to him and BJ playing forward i would rather BJ by a mile regardless who went higher in the draft and who will be the bigger star as going on team balance BJ is far better than Mitchell as a small forward as BJ has elite speed and is very smart and knows when to crumb the packs at full speed , also has the leg speed to put on great defensive pressure that Mitchell really cant. I just think the first couple of games showed that we had far to many inside mids in the team ( everybody fighting for the same ball at times ) and not enough outside run and defensive pressure in the forward line and ROK/Mitchell playing forward was not the right call.
If Mitchell cant find the ball in the middle and is out of form he should have to go back to the 2s like everyone else as putting him forward out of position will not help and will hurt the team.

Unless Mitchell plays 70%+ midfield I cant see how he will get a game and please don't take this the wrong way ( anyone ) as I think Mitchell will be a star no doubt but he will be a star as a inside mid what his game is built around , hard in extractor with great hands in and under. The way I see it and as I said don't take this the wrong way but if Mitchell is to come in and just play forward i think it is the wrong position and call and not bagging him one little bit but just stating of obvious that Mitchell lacks leg speed and is not a crumbing forward and doesn't have slick foot work and dance around players and kick goals out of no where so if he is not to play most part of the game in the middle and it comes down to him and BJ playing forward i would rather BJ by a mile regardless who went higher in the draft and who will be the bigger star as going on team balance BJ is far better than Mitchell as a small forward as BJ has elite speed and is very smart and knows when to crumb the packs at full speed , also has the leg speed to put on great defensive pressure that Mitchell really cant. I just think the first couple of games showed that we had far to many inside mids in the team ( everybody fighting for the same ball at times ) and not enough outside run and defensive pressure in the forward line and ROK/Mitchell playing forward was not the right call.
If Mitchell cant find the ball in the middle and is out of form he should have to go back to the 2s like everyone else as putting him forward out of position will not help and will hurt the team.

No, I agree. BJ should remain in the forward line over Mitchell. Mitchell isn't the type of player that should be playing a crumbing role. The changes I posted were what I expect to happen, not what I want to happen.

Tippett in, LRT out

Derickx did a few good things as main ruck in the middle, and allowed Pyke to grab a couple of contested marks on saturday. Still not sure that LRT is in the team for any particular reason. The alternative is to have Buddy play a bit higher, have LRT at CHF with Tip at FF, but as a few people have mentioned *cough* Punts *cough* you can go in too tall on the MCG.

I thought the ins on Saturday were great and deserve another week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree mitchell needs to earn his spot in the middle, he is not a forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back