Unofficial Preview Round 6 Early Thoughts - Sydney vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I may, how do you all feel about Rampe? Feels as if he's coming along in leaps and bounds this year, and his performance against a high pressure/quality side last week was all class. Do you guys feel as if he's now a 'part of the back six'? How much better can he get?

If I may, how do you all feel about Rampe? Feels as if he's coming along in leaps and bounds this year, and his performance against a high pressure/quality side last week was all class. Do you guys feel as if he's now a 'part of the back six'? How much better can he get?

I don't see Rampe losing his spot in the 22 this year. The only way it could happen is if we don't have more injuries and guys like Tippett, Goodes and Reid are all fit and ready to go and even then Laidler would have to be playing better footy than Rampe for Rampe to be dropped.

Needs to bring last weekends game more regularly. Somewhat slow start to the year with unreliable disposal. You would assume he gained a lot of confidence in backing himself on the weekend and needs to deliver that consistently. Has done everything asked of him coming in and is a pretty honest defender. Has done an admirable job whilst AJ has been injured and if he plays every game like it could be his last then he is only going to improve. Probably biggest honor is Jude Bolton wanting him to wear his old number so obviously highly regarded internally. Plus some of the boys on here thinks he's cute.

Here's an interesting take on our supposed "embarrassment of riches" at the selection table:

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/...o-return-for-sydney-swans-20140421-zqxe0.html

Describing Sam Reid as a "forgotten forward" is pretty apt, because, as well as being injury prone, he hasn't exactly set the world on fire when he plays.

Agreed, gone down this path a few times here and get shot down by the mediocre is acceptable crowd. Yes Reid is still developing and yes he still is young but not enough shown for mine. I admit I have been more colourful in my assessment of Reid in past posts but how many chances has this guy had to show SOMETHING. Soft, injury prone( Reid) & more than ready to eat my hat (Me).

The exciting thing about Rampe over the weekend is, his field kicking looked fantastic. Shows he can work on his deficiences. If he can play to that level on a regular basis we have a weapon on our hands and that should be his goal. Will play 22 games this year at current output.

So with Tippett unavailable.

IN: Reid, Mitchell
OUT: Derrickx, Lloyd

Pyke should be able to handle Spencer in the ruck, with LRT to pinch hit.

Is love to see Mitchell come straight back in as no doubt he is best 22. However that was our best performance since the Adelaide game last year, and no one( besides derickx of course) deserves to come out.

Lloyd is the easy option but I think he handled himself very well, as soon as he came on, he was tackling, applying pressure acts and was on the bottom of every pack, plus set up a buddy goal. I've seen worse debuts.

Surely I can't be the only one who sat at the mcg last season to watch the swans and dees, sighing when seeing Sam get his leg put on ice, with the even greater disappointment of not seeing him again in 2013 ?

I'd be inclined to have no changes and have our injured talks venture to Mackay or alternatively run around in Sydney in match simulation for forty minutes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely I can't be the only one who sat at the mcg last season to watch the swans and dees, sighing when seeing Sam get his leg put on ice, with the even greater disappointment of not seeing him again in 2013 ?

I'd be inclined to have no changes and have our injured talks venture to Mackay or alternatively run around in Sydney in match simulation for forty minutes.
Yep I was there, couldn't believe our luck! One or two more weeks on the sidelines will not hurt...

Is love to see Mitchell come straight back in as no doubt he is best 22. However that was our best performance since the Adelaide game last year, and no one( besides derickx of course) deserves to come out.

Lloyd is the easy option but I think he handled himself very well, as soon as he came on, he was tackling, applying pressure acts and was on the bottom of every pack, plus set up a buddy goal. I've seen worse debuts.

No doubt Lloyd would be unlucky but like you said Mitchell is best 22 and I'd rather he replace a similar type player instead of dropping B.Jack who adds some speed and crumbing ability forward.

I don't see Rampe losing his spot in the 22 this year. The only way it could happen is if we don't have more injuries and guys like Tippett, Goodes and Reid are all fit and ready to go and even then Laidler would have to be playing better footy than Rampe for Rampe to be dropped.

I don't think Laidler or Rampe will be dropped if they continue to play well. The only player I can think of that would bump one would be AJ, and it would probably be Rampe making way for him, being the junior player of course. Also because Rampe is so undersized against the 2nd/3rd talls.

Yep, the same thing crossed my mind when I heard Reid was a possible inclusion this week (the Tippett/Reid combo didn't last a quarter:() but like bedford said if they're right to go they should play. Fitness shouldn't be a problem with Reid seeing as he played the first couple of games and unfortunately as we've seen with Tippett nursing them in the twos carries the same risk.

So were the other players.

When was the last time our multi million $ CHF dominated a game for 4 qrts. Go on please inform me.

He's still developing, and injury has robbed him of any continuity. I'd like to see him have a run of 10-15 games and judge him after that rather than expecting him to shine when he's battled injury for most of his career.

The 5 year deal was a gamble, but a calculated one. Has it paid off? not at this point, but he still has time. Regardless of whether we signed him for 5 years or 2 years, we would have renewed his contract regardless. It just meant that we only have to contend with the vultures once and not twice.

TBH i am fed up of waiting. I understand big guys start to peak at 23-24 but I am not prepared to wait another few years while he is being paid a mil a year and is injury prone.

Who said he's on a mill a year, he'd probably be on less than half of that

Btw, I heard there's a new team across the other side of some bridge that's looking for new supporters, they have players on big money who are actually playing. Might wanna give them a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back