1. The ASADA, AFL and drugs in sport Hot Topic board

Media links, the facts, the statements, the allegations, the charges, the court actions, the notices and the clubs mentioned so far. Hundreds of threads, 240,000+ posts.

2. Congratulations to jaydeetee for tipping 7/9 and one off the tie-breaker. FREE Platinum BFSC for you!

Get your tips in!

3. Chat with other Comm Games fans in our Commonwealth Games thread.

And keep up with Aussie athletes in the Aussie Watch Thread.

Review Round 6 - GWS Giants vs Essendon

Discussion in 'GWS Giants' started by captainMyCaptain, Apr 28, 2013.

Put it out there
  1. captainMyCaptain

captainMyCaptain Moderator

GWS
    Other teams:
    GWS Giants v

Essendon
    Round 6 1:45 PM May 04, 2013
    There is no doubting that the bombers are the form team at the moment and its hard not to think that unless
    the World Anti Doping Authority step in and call off the game it won't be anything other then a major beat down on us.
    And obviously the challenge for us is to run out the game and get closer to giving a full 4 qtr effort.
    On the plus side of the weekend it was good to see that Palmer is starting to find a bit of form this year​
    especially as it was looking like a few of the kids were going to overtake him. We also saw the
    debut of Zach Williams which showed some promise and of course Devon Smith really stepped up​
    after serving his suspension. Once again I would expect a number of changes and the word is that​
    Bruce has been the stand out among the tall defenders for a few weeks so would think he will come​
    close to getting a call up to the senior side.​

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/...owards-winning-gws-recall-20130427-2im6o.html

Teams:

GWS
    B: A.Kennedy T.Mohr J.Bruce
    HB: A.Corr S.Gilham T.Greene
    C: T.Scully C.Ward J.Townsend
    HF: R.Palmer J.Cameron A.Tomlinson
    F: D.Smith S.Frost T.Adams
    Foll:J.Giles D.Shiel A.Treloar
    I/C: S.Coniglio C.Hampton S.Reid Z.Williams
    Emg: T.Bugg T.Downie S.Edwards
    In: S.Gilham, C.Hampton, J.Bruce, T.Adams, J.Townsend, S.Frost, A.Corr
    Out: B.Thornton, S.O'hAilpin (calf), P.Davis (back), T.Bugg, L.Whitfield (soreness), L.Plowman, N.Haynes

ESSENDON
    B: K.Hardingham C.Hooker B.Goddard
    HB: M.Hibberd T.Pears C.Dempsey
    C: M.Baguley J.Watson D.Zaharakis
    HF: J.Merrett S.Crameri J.Melksham
    F: A.Davey S.Gumbleton B.Stanton
    Foll: T.Bellchambers N.Kommer B.Howlett
    I/C: Jake Melksham, David Myers, David Hille, Heath Hocking
    Emg: E.Kavanagh N.Lovett-Murray N.O'Brien
    In: L.Jetta, T.Pears, J.Melksham , N.Kommer
    Out: J.Winderlich (rested), T.Colyer, D.Heppell (groin), J.Carlisle (ankle)

Bogan Juniors likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Bogan Juniors

Bogan Juniors Senior List

GWS
    Other teams:
    Leicester City FC
    I hope we play some ugly football in this game and concentrate on choking the game up, if the bombers get the amount of space we have given others they will put 200 on us. We have not shown we can slow down a game and choke it up at any point yet, personally I would like to see it though i am probably in the minority. We are not going to win this game so lets use it to learn some skills we desperately need against a really quality team. It will help us when games that we are in (like the last two) later in the season look like getting away. IMO
  3. AsianWithAFro

AsianWithAFro Team Captain

GWS
    Other teams:
    I hope the Giants are competitive and don't allow this to be a 100 plus blowout. If they don't win by more than 60 then it has been a good outing for us
  4. Ichabod Noodle

Ichabod Noodle All Australian

GWS
    Other teams:
    Cats, Raiders, Brumbies
    Where the hell is a WADA or an ASADA when you need them :p
    Milang_Panthers and dlanod like this.
  5. 1980GFVideo

1980GFVideo Club Legend

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Richmond
    Hope its not messy.

Dont really like seeing the hidings that come with the new sides taking on form established sides.

Might be a tough year for GWS to finish Sheedys coaching career. Tough it out, learn heaps and I think next year will be an exciting year for GWS under new coach Cameron
  6. Scully2Folau

Scully2Folau Moderator

GWS
    Other teams:
    BOS:Celtics/Patriots/Bruins/Red Sox
    The ladder leaders... Coming off a 9 day break after playing on Anzac Day...

We really can't allow Thornton to be stuck in a matchup with a proper tall like he was with Dixon for too long against the Suns. It seems there's a good chance Essendon bring in Daniher, and along with Gumbleton plus Bellchambers spending some time forward we're going to need some height back there.
    RodneyMaynard likes this.
  7. fishardansin

fishardansin All Australian

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Australian cricket team
    Bring a kid guys. Check out the Essendon website. One adult ticket gets 4 free kids in.

Good luck guys. I'm looking forward to seeing some of your kids close up ... hopefully our match committee pays you guys the same favor by giving you a look at Daniher!
  8. Ichabod Noodle

GWS
    Other teams:
    Cats, Raiders, Brumbies
    Didn't we cop all sorts of s#*t last year for giving away free tickets to kids? Last week it Hawthorn, this week Essendon. Absolute disgrace to the game. That's what was said about us before. Five will get you ten everyone is fine with Essendon giving away tickets, but if we try it again this year, we'll cop it from all directions.
    Glacier likes this.
  9. fishardansin

fishardansin All Australian

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Australian cricket team
    Who gave it to you? For a team trying to develop in a growing market it would be the perfect strategy. Ignore the idiots dude!!

Getting as many kids to the games as possible and providing as much incentive as possible to get them involved in Auskick. The kids that are 8-10 years old now, will be 13-15 when all these concessions you guys got come together. With the base you guys have you should be challenging for 5 year and these kids will be hooked for life!! Then so will their children, and so on.

Also regards Essendon, it is four kids tickets with one adult ticket. Each child ticket is $2.50 and an adult ticket is $30. It's no big loss. Also if the game is a one sided affair the kids don't mind so much. They like seeing goals kicked and would actually prefer a game with less atmosphere so that mum or dad will pay them more attention!!
  10. dlanod

dlanod Moderator

Brisbane Lions
    Other teams:
    GWS Giants; CC Mariners; NQ Cowboys
    Towards the end of last year the club was giving out a lot of free tickets to Skoda games to get people in for a taste. I reckon that resulted in a bit of the membership bump we saw this year, but there were quite a few write-ups whinging about "inflated crowd numbers", etc, at the time. Just the usual general media stupidity we have to put up with up here.
  11. Land of the Giants

Land of the Giants Team Captain

GWS
    Other teams:
    Thunder
    Essendon...in form...at their home ground...:eek:

Tough day at the office coming up. We're going to need as much experience down back as possible.

As long as they learn some valuable lessons...that's all we can ask for this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. captainMyCaptain

GWS
    Other teams:
    It was odd that we had him down back especially as he made the following comments just prior to being selected to play the suns:

13. eth-dog

eth-dog Premiership Player

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Hey, I've got you guys bringing Gilham in for Tomlinson, with Thornton going forward, any chance of that happening?
  14. Scully2Folau

Scully2Folau Moderator

GWS
    Other teams:
    Don't know who will miss (could be Tomlinson, maybe Haynes) but I think Gilham in and Thornton forward are likely changes. At least I hope so. Haha
  15. RodneyMaynard

RodneyMaynard All Australian

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Central Districts F.C, GWS
    This game was horrible last year. It was also horrible in the NAB cup. Not exactly counting down the seconds 'till the opening bounce on this one.
  16. Drezdyn

Drezdyn Team Captain

GWS
    Other teams:
    Bayern Munich FC, WSW
    We don't have many talls... but now that both Davis and Setanta are out, our predicted thrashing can only get worse.

Just have to hope some of the blokes in the NEAFL get a chance to get some game time and hopefully bag some experience.
  17. captainMyCaptain

GWS
    Other teams:
    And Davis is actually out for 6 weeks.

But would now think Bruce is a straight in for Davis, and Thornton to moved to the fwd line and Frost to come in where he will play in def but also help out in the ruck.
  18. Scully2Folau

Scully2Folau Moderator

GWS
    Other teams:
    Big blow to lose those two for this game and Davis beyond that. Bruce's form in the NEAFL has been good by all reports so this is his chance.

Thornton to go forward and Frost to also come in, you'd think.
  19. Kakkle

Kakkle All Australian

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Chicago Blackhawks, Trail Blazers
    First proper chance I'll get to see GWS. Yet to really have a close look (only seen the odd half or quarter when I've had the chance).

We may as well hand out a thumping before you guys will be handing out the thumpings on a weekly basis in years to come ;)
  20. Land of the Giants

Land of the Giants Team Captain

GWS
    Other teams:
    Thunder
    We hope.
  21. Mountain Giant

Mountain Giant Senior List

GWS
    Other teams:
    Sydney FC, Philadelphia Eagles
    Everyone is so nice to us :)
  22. Ichabod Noodle

GWS
    Other teams:
    Cats, Raiders, Brumbies
    I hope so. Thornton kicked 8 in the NEAFL, was dully called up and then spent the entire game in defence :confused: You would think he has to go forward. I like Bruce for Davis, but that's because I like Bruce. Frost as 2nd Ruck which he handled well in the preseason.
  23. calyam

calyam Team Captain

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Don't worry, in only a few years we will all hate you!
    Bogan Juniors likes this.
  24. Drezdyn

Drezdyn Team Captain

GWS
    Other teams:
    Bayern Munich FC, WSW
    Why don't you save that for the Essendon board... or do you need to take your pot shots in the side alleys of other teams' boards?
    eth-dog likes this.
  25. Scully2Folau

Scully2Folau Moderator

GWS
    Other teams:
    Corr to debut, per Giants twitter. (Corr and Davis currently speaking to media at Skoda)