Unofficial Preview Round 7: St Kilda Vs Hawthorn - MCG - Saturday @ 1:45pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our guys need to up their calcium intake, seems like every week we have broken/fractured bones - Gilbert, Wright, Templeton and now Hickey.

Good that it gives Longer an extended run in the team but it's a big loss to lose Hickey in the form he's been in, not to mention costing me another DT/SC trade. Stanley might need to shoulder more of the ruckwork which is why I'm surprised we haven't brought in another key forward like Lee.

Will be good to see Acres and Weller in action, should hopefully give us a boost along with Schneider. Bruce a bit unlucky to be dropped but Simpkin is probably a better defender than him at this stage, I think some people forget how good he was a couple of years ago.

Our guys need to up their calcium intake, seems like every week we have broken/fractured bones - Gilbert, Wright, Templeton and now Hickey.

Good that it gives Longer an extended run in the team but it's a big loss to lose Hickey in the form he's been in, not to mention costing me another DT/SC trade. Stanley might need to shoulder more of the ruckwork which is why I'm surprised we haven't brought in another key forward like Lee.

Will be good to see Acres and Weller in action, should hopefully give us a boost along with Schneider. Bruce a bit unlucky to be dropped but Simpkin is probably a better defender than him at this stage, I think some people forget how good he was a couple of years ago.

Wright and Templeton's were high impact

Anybody think Bruce being out has anything to do with the expected weather on Saturday and how fleet of foot, dynamic and agile the hawks forwards are? Hale is the only real tall timber, Roughead is so flexible he can play on the ball!

Good point, I wouldn't be surprised if this was the thinking, but just hoping it doesn't backfire on us...

Wright and Templeton's were high impact

That's true, they were just bad luck really.

The foot fracture injuries are the most frustrating ones - Gilbert, Steven and now Hickey.

Seems to be a growing trend across the AFL, can't remember so many foot injuries in the past.

The foot fracture injuries are the most frustrating ones - Gilbert, Steven and now Hickey.

Seems to be a growing trend across the AFL, can't remember so many foot injuries in the past.

Less stoppages & increased running

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I might be imagining it but, I got the feeling that Steven's foot was less a matter of running too much and more a matter of dropping heavy things on feet?

Bruce? You jest, surely. Has not missed a beat since his debut

I agree and Hawthorn isn't the side you would take out a key defender against considering their tall forwards and replace him with someone that will never be a key defender at AFL level in Simpkin.

Was just what I heard and it happened!
When you actually watch the two games his played, his not actually a key defender yet, he will be once he develops, his still young, But Simpkin is a good choice, his done the hard yards off field starting from the rookie list, to where he is now and I believe he will take this chance. He has a bit of c*^t in him and we don't have that!
Bruce is still an EMG so it may not be form, more match ups

4 out of 5 is good though!

Sub: Blake Acres, just because going by reports he struggled running out games in the VFL.

Shane Savage did enough to avoid it this week IMO.

He didn't really struggle running out the game, was more the whole team knew they were going to win and took their foot off the pedal, and Casey just won more of the footy, that was about it.

I think Saunders will start as the sub, the last time he did, he came on and had a real impact, last weeks game was a quiet one, so think it best suits him atm.

Has to be something involved in training, or match days. A bit weird that Steven and Hickey broke down after a match, and Gilbert's before, I'm sure they'll be looking into it though, 3 key players!

He didn't really struggle running out the game, was more the whole team knew they were going to win and took their foot off the pedal, and Casey just won more of the footy, that was about it.

I think Saunders will start as the sub, the last time he did, he came on and had a real impact, last weeks game was a quiet one, so think it best suits him atm.
According to thunda (i think) he was getting cramps in the second half, it's still my opinion anyway i'd start him as the sub.

My take:

2 Tall defensive backs: Delaney, Simpkin
2 Small defensive backs: Dempster, Geary
2 Offensive backs: Gwilt, Webster

8 Inside mids: Hayes, Montagna, Steven, Jones, Newnes, Weller, Saunders, Schneider (+sm fwd)
3 Outside mids: Ray, Savage, Acres (+med fwd)
1 Tagger: Curren

2 Rucks: Longer, Stanley (+ tl fwd)

1(+1) Tall Forwards: Riewoldt, (+Stanley)
1 (+1) Small Forwards: Billings, (+Schneider)
0 (+1) Medium Forwards: (+Acres)​

A few thoughts:
  • I think that the decision with Simpkin over Bruce is probably driven primarily by the weather. The talls aren't going to have a great day anyway, so why not give Simpkin a chance? He's earned it in the VFL, even if Bruce didn't deserve to be dropped. Bruce has time.
  • I think we're REALLY investing in the midfield in this game. I'd even say over-investing (and this is ME saying that! :eek:). Ideally, I'd expect 7 insides with one playing small forward, 2 outside, and one tagger = 10 mids. We're playing 12.
  • That over-investment will hurt our forward line, as it has all year. I'm happy for Acres, but I think structurally, we desperately needed a dedicated medium tall to come in - either Lee, Siposs or Dunell. My only hope is that Acres will spend a bit of time up there, as I think he could be exciting there.
  • Again, I really think we've gone with the "shiny new toy" in Acres, and I think we could have been patient with him, and waited until the middle of the year to debut him. He is a dead cert to be on the list for the coming years. Why not give Dunell and Sippos a chance to prove themselves on the big stage, rewarding their form (especially Dunell)? I'm happy for Acres, but yeah, think that's really the only bad call this week, both in terms of structure, but also rewarding form and giving those on their "last legs" list wise a chance.
We won't win, I don't think. But yikes, I reckon it won't matter, because there's some pretty exciting talent emerging.

Exciting times. Such a shame about Hickey though. Hopefully the time off will help him get over a number of niggles I believe he was carrying. Pretty ordinary run with injuries this year really...

Still think we're a dedicated forward (med) and dedicated back (kp) short. But meh. Bring on the Stains!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back