bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
We may not be at our best, but I certainly see the intent there so I have faith that if we're good enough we'll win it. Hawthorn & freo the only teams standing in our way at.

Goodes had his best game so far and seemed quite mobile. Me may be getting back to his best

Parker was amazing, he's officially back to his best.

Mitchell in means our mids get to spend more time forward. And they can cause damage up there. There's absolutely no drawback having him in the team. Horse got this one wrong but no harm done.

There's something that's not quite right. It doesn't appear as though our team equals the sum of its parts. We have guns and quality all across the park. But the game's not playing out like that. Can't put my finger on it. Perhaps it's a case of us settling into our game plan

Agree. No idea what Punts was talking about. Far from done. Mobile and running hard for a full game. Some good stuff early when the game was there to be won. Set up Rohan's goal and got one of his own. What's not to like ?

Came good at rd 7 last year if I remember.

Parkerman

All Australian
Jul 12, 2014
Big Cox, Darling Stand
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool with Kenny Suarez #7
Ah, the old chestnut of "lacking pace"... don't you just love it? What are we drafting kids to do, play footy or compete in a 50 metre relay team? All things being equal, pace is desirable. But there's no point being first to the contest if you aren't effective with the pill. Footballers win games of footy, not athletes.
I imagine Bartel wasn't exactly Usain Bolt in his junior years. Love the all rounders, no major weaknesses in their game, able to play lots of roles.

A good model for Parker to keep developing into.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
1. Tom Mitchel is an elite midfielder and Horse is a fool for keeping him out of the side for so long. Please, don't ever do that again
2. Luke Parker is our best player
3. Drop Goodes like a bag of bricks and get some experience into a junior. He's absolutely cooked.

ELITE is a big word. JPK is elite. Tom is very good. Horse is no fool. He has Mitchell playing like every game could be his last. No complacency.

Agree with 2. but he's not always our best. Has been down on form but a corker this weekend. Parker in form makes a big difference to us.

3. I assume you're kidding (or watched the wrong game)

Jul 27, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
South Adelaide Panthers
I imagine Bartel wasn't exactly Usain Bolt in his junior years. Love the all rounders, no major weaknesses in their game, able to play lots of roles.

You're right about Bartel and the same also applies to James Kelly. Not a sprinter, but a bloody good all-round footballer. But we could sit here all day listing great footballers who lack leg speed... or intellect, or good fashion sense, or, or, or any other irrelevant metric used erroneously to judge players.

Jun 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
I was about to spew up at the commentators repeatedly slurping on Blicavs and "has there been anyone as versatile?", yes you muppets he's running around in front of you and done it near 2 decades not 2minutes. Won brownlows and flags doing it. *ing Brian Taylor is a peanut. Brushed aside someone who mentioned goodes won a brownlow in ruck, he also played on the wing full forward, forward pocket defense, through the middle....

OK Computer

All Australian
May 25, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
ELITE is a big word. JPK is elite. Tom is very good. Horse is no fool. He has Mitchell playing like every game could be his last. No complacency.

Agree with 2. but he's not always our best. Has been down on form but a corker this weekend. Parker in form makes a big difference to us.

3. I assume you're kidding (or watched the wrong game)
Goodes is too slow and unaware of his surroundings. He's played a lot of games now and if this was his best, then he's cooked; not going to get any better, only worse. Bring in Cunningham.

And on Mitchell, I meant he's easily going to become elite once he gets more experience. He's already better than most others in the comp.

FreeAgent1

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Goodes is too slow and unaware of his surroundings. He's played a lot of games now and if this was his best, then he's cooked; not going to get any better, only worse. Bring in Cunningham.

And on Mitchell, I meant he's easily going to become elite once he gets more experience. He's already better than most others in the comp.

I am totally on the fence with Goodes, mainly cause when i look at him i can only see a 2x brownlow's... He is certainly not back at that standard where he plays tall on fast players and fast on tall players. (like Blicavs really). But i agree with what Horse said in terms of best 22, in his current role i dont believe towers/cunningham/bird would be any better (in that specific role). Goodes is a better kick and a better mark. However, his main focus should be forward pressure..... i meant the differece between rohan/mcGlynn and goodes in terms of pressure is huge.

Apr 19, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Swans Blog

I was watching the 2005 GF replay with the swannie girl last night and there was 1 play where Judd just scooped it up, full stretch, without breaking stride, in exactly the same way that Franklin did it against the Cats, at almost the exact same pace.

That sort of skill is freakish and it's simply something that most players can't do.

Jun 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
I was watching the 2005 GF replay with the swannie girl last night and there was 1 play where Judd just scooped it up, full stretch, without breaking stride, in exactly the same way that Franklin did it against the Cats, at almost the exact same pace.

That sort of skill is freakish and it's simply something that most players can't do.

Especially 6"5+ 100kg blokes.

im sad i missed so much of his hawks footy.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
1. I've been saying it from the first game. Mitchell needed to come in and straighten the mids. His handball is so damaging. He works with Joey, Parks, Hannas, Benny & Kizza so well

2. I have always been a fan of Adam Goodes, he is a legend of our club, but I am not blindly loyal to any player. Yes he improved in this game but he also made some pretty basic errors. Got caught second guessing once again. Kicked badly on several occasions. Goodsie is only able to dodge tackles if he has lots of momentum up these days. He needs to take the first option. I am still not convinced he has enough to give to be there at finals time. Bird is playing really well in the Twos and two youngsters, Hewett & Robinson are knocking at the door.

3. We waste forward 50 entries and can't continue to do so and win a flag.

4. There have been too many players who have been a bit lazy this year. Giving your player a 10 metre space is no good and results in scores at the other end of the ground. But I wonder if it is the players fault or is it the game plan of setting up a zone on their kick outs. We seem to shift between the zomne & man on man. By the way don't like the zone, we play better one on one, except in the backline.

5. Speaking of backline we have a few out of form players there at the moment. I am going to bag a few protected species now so look away if you are an environmentalist. Teddy, Ramps & Rhyce have been sadly out of form for most of this season. I have not seen any of these players put two solid games together yet. Even Smithy has had a shaky start which is so unusual for the reliable one. But guess what out of all this Reg and Laids stand out as the most dependable of our back this season so far. Who would have thought?

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
1. I've been saying it from the first game. Mitchell needed to come in and straighten the mids. His handball is so damaging. He works with Joey, Parks, Hannas, Benny & Kizza so well

2. I have always been a fan of Adam Goodes, he is a legend of our club, but I am not blindly loyal to any player. Yes he improved in this game but he also made some pretty basic errors. Got caught second guessing once again. Kicked badly on several occasions. Goodsie is only able to dodge tackles if he has lots of momentum up these days. He needs to take the first option. I am still not convinced he has enough to give to be there at finals time. Bird is playing really well in the Twos and two youngsters, Hewett & Robinson are knocking at the door.

3. We waste forward 50 entries and can't continue to do so and win a flag.

4. There have been too many players who have been a bit lazy this year. Giving your player a 10 metre space is no good and results in scores at the other end of the ground. But I wonder if it is the players fault or is it the game plan of setting up a zone on their kick outs. We seem to shift between the zomne & man on man. By the way don't like the zone, we play better one on one, except in the backline.

5. Speaking of backline we have a few out of form players there at the moment. I am going to bag a few protected species now so look away if you are an environmentalist. Teddy, Ramps & Rhyce have been sadly out of form for most of this season. I have not seen any of these players put two solid games together yet. Even Smithy has had a shaky start which is so unusual for the reliable one. But guess what out of all this Reg and Laids stand out as the most dependable of our back this season so far. Who would have thought?

I don't know how to find the stat but our inside 50 conversion to goals has to be one of the worst in the league, we dominate general play in large amount of periods during games and then fluff up easy goals to the opposition through simple backline mistakes.

I recall during the Melbourne game we had 19 inside 50's for 4 goals why? how does that happen to a supposed flag contender.

Everytime they pan the camera to the coaches box horse is going ballistic, we are extremely talented but flawed side.

Back