Preview Round 8, 2013 - Carlton v Port Adelaide, Etihad Stadium 1.10pm - Team - post #440

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Laidler up forward ?

How he been going anyone?
Has had some good moments, but has found it hard to really get into the game when competing in a forward line that has had in recent weeks Waite, Rowe, Casboult & Mitchell in there at various stages.

I've already suggested that now Betts will be joining Yaz on the sidelines that it wouldn't be a surprise to see Laids joining Buckley among the ins to bolster our forward line (I've also suggested alternatively bringing Menz in to wear the sub's vest).

We need to stop playing injured players. If carrazzo and gibbs are still not 100%, they should not play.

In: Waite, Menzel, Laidler, Duigan, Bell, Casboult
Out: Yarran (inj), Jamison (inj), Ellard (inj), Betts (sus) , Curnow, Hampson

F: Tuohy-------Duigan-------Laidler

H: Scotland----Henderson----Walker

C: Robinson-----Judd---------Lucas

H: Menzel------Waite-------Simpson

F: Garlett------Kreuzer------Armfield

R: Warnock, McLean, Murphy

Bench: White, Cachia, Casboult, Sub: Bell

1. Any player playing with any sort of injury must be taken out of the side.
2. Any player(s) that have not been playing up to par or have been spewing venom at their own teammates when their own performance has been questionable need to earn their place in the senior team by playing in the VFL.

If that means we drop a record amount of players and are forced into playing the least talented players on our list and lose by 100 points then so be it. I'd rather this team get healthy, the out of form players find their touch and the undisciplined players learn a valuable lesson that they cannot take their spot in the 22 for granted.

NO easy games at Carlton.

E SIX POINTS
1. The Blues have won five of their past six games against the Power, including three victories by more than 50 points.

2. There is a gulf in experience in the coach's box, with Blues coach Mick Malthouse entering his 672nd match, while first-year Power mentor Ken Hinkley is in just his seventh.

3. In games between the two clubs in Melbourne, Port Adelaide holds a 5-3 advantage.

4. Against the Power in Melbourne, Carlton averages 105 points a game, compared to 90 away in Adelaide.

5. Port Adelaide ranks fifth in the AFL this season for marks inside 50; Carlton is 10th.

6. Port has lost its last six games at Etihad Stadium and 13 of its past 16, conceding an average of 20 goals per game

Whilst this reassurance is nice, Mick has consistently been challenged regarding his selections.

Why did he divert from that philosophy this week against a team with only 1 win from 7?

It hamstrung us tactically and could have a major impact going forward.
How do you know that Yarran didn't train fine without any tightness all week? He could have trained ok and started feeling it again during the match. Perhaps Chris didn't let on to anyone exactly how it was feeling either. There are a few scenarios that could mean that Mick didn't know, so don't be so quick to jump.

How do you know that Yarran didn't train fine without any tightness all week? He could have trained ok and started feeling it again during the match. Perhaps Chris didn't let on to anyone exactly how it was feeling either. There are a few scenarios that could mean that Mick didn't know, so don't be so quick to jump.

This is true, plenty of scenarios, or plainly, he has fine, good to go. But smply did a hammy o_O

Anyone else reckon that Cachia may take Ellard's spot while he is out?

I'd leave him in the team. Hasn't done much wrong in his 2 games, and could do with the development playing alongside guys like Judd, Gibbs, Murphy & Simmo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. There is a gulf in experience in the coach's box, with Blues coach Mick Malthouse entering his 672nd match, while first-year Power mentor Ken Hinkley is in just his seventh.
Alan Richardson will provide them with a stack of info on our players.
Won't give up his spot easily - hard as Robbo & Bell but smarter.
Robinson is better.

I bet we were ready to roast Henderson after the first half.

Won't give up his spot easily - hard as Robbo & Bell but smarter.

I am amazed Cachia is not getting more raps on here. He couldn't crack the side, got a setback, went off & worked hard to improve, got a second chance & has bust a gut every game he has played to hold his spot. If we had 22 blokes with his hunger & attitude, we would be unbeatable.

I am amazed Cachia is not getting more raps on here. He couldn't crack the side, got a setback, went off & worked hard to improve, got a second chance & has bust a gut every game he has played to hold his spot. If we had 22 blokes with his hunger & attitude, we would be unbeatable.
Upgrade on Robinson in my opinion. Tackles just as hard, doesnt give away the stupid free and doesnt butcher the ball as much. However, hes only really played one full game... ahaha looks good though

Upgrade on Robinson in my opinion. Tackles just as hard, doesnt give away the stupid free and doesnt butcher the ball as much. However, hes only really played one full game... ahaha looks good though

IMO, Cachia has the ability to go past Robinson.
As hard at the contest as Robbo is, but appears to be more calm with ball in hand. And call also play the shutdown role like we saw on Monday night. Don't get me wrong - love the way Robbo goes about it, but he just needs to develop calmness when he gets the ball - too many times he just throws the ball onto his foot without looking. The rightfooted banana bomb on Monday night was classic Robbo.

Watson- Has been playing terrifically in the VFL, he is getting a lot of the footy and it seems like the perfect time to bring him in with Jamison experiencing shoulder issues!

I too want to see Watson get a run, but worry he's not a great match up for either Schulz or Westhoff.

We may have no choice if Jamison doesn't come up.

As hard at the contest as Robbo is, but appears to be more calm with ball in hand. And call also play the shutdown role like we saw on Monday night. Don't get me wrong - love the way Robbo goes about it, but he just needs to develop calmness when he gets the ball - too many times he just throws the ball onto his foot without looking. The rightfooted banana bomb on Monday night was classic Robbo.

Robbo goes in harder then anyone but his mental composure under pressure is seriously questionable. It is not uncommon for Carlton to get some good ball movement happening just for Robbo to bomb it high for a turnover.

Cachia won't go past Robinson.

Cachia's kick on his wrong foot was the wrong choice and a terrible shank.;)

Forced changes will be enough this week, out of form players like Simpson and Robbo live another day.

Waite comes in for Hampson, and that is for balance, not because I think Hammer deserves to be dropped. On form from last week he was better than Kreuzer by some margin but Matty gets the benefit of the doubt because he was no doubt a bit rusty. Nonetheless he needs to start having a real influence, and be needs to do it now.

Watson comes in for Jamo if the latter can not play.

Menzel comes in for Betts.

Gibbs comes in for Yarran. If Gibbs is not fit, then Buckley, who is sub.

Carrots comes in for Ellard. If Carrots is not fit, then Bell.

Although the idea of Curnow, Bell, Robbo and Army in the one side worries me because of their collective disposal deficiencies.

Robbo goes in harder then anyone but his mental composure under pressure is seriously questionable. It is not uncommon for Carlton to get some good ball movement happening just for Robbo to bomb it high for a turnover.

It's funny because Robo plays like an inside mid on steroids and has built his reputation around that but his kicking to a target when out in space is a lot better than when he's under hard pressure.

Now the last bit of the above sentence seems obvious in that most players are better kicks in space but with the likes of Cachia in particular (I remember watching his video of SA footy before being re-drafted and thinking s**t he hardly ever misses a target by foot) and Bell coming on as big bodied inside mids, perhaps Robo should be spending more time outside the contest.

More specifically, he could make a HFF his own. He has a prodigious kick and has dobbed a few from 50 on the run and would also apply good F50 pressure.

It's funny because Robo plays like an inside mid on steroids and has built his reputation around that but his kicking to a target when out in space is a lot better than when he's under hard pressure.

Now the last bit of the above sentence seems obvious in that most players are better kicks in space but with the likes of Cachia in particular (I remember watching his video of SA footy before being re-drafted and thinking s**t he hardly ever misses a target by foot) and Bell coming on as big bodied inside mids, perhaps Robo should be spending more time outside the contest.

More specifically, he could make a HFF his own. He has a prodigious kick and has dobbed a few from 50 on the run and would also apply good F50 pressure.

Agree with the new slide rule Robbo is being utilised incorrectly, make him a tough defensive forward where he will brutalise the oppositions playmaker, leave the extraction and delivery to McLean and co.

Agree with the new slide rule Robbo is being utilised incorrectly, make him a tough defensive forward where he will brutalise the oppositions playmaker, leave the extraction and delivery to McLean and co.
I like some of the Robbo ideas being thrown up. How about a midfield tagger. I think Carrazzo is being wasted in this role. His purple patch of form last year he was free of defensive duties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back