Review Round 8, 2014 - Box Hill Hawks v Port Melbourne, 25 May 2014, 2.00pm @ BHCO

Remove this Banner Ad

Shame that....Like the fact you posted it but not the content therein!

Who were the standouts to your mind Bumps?....And, what was the decisive factor in Port winning in the end?

They let them get away to a lead in the first quarter and were playing catch up all day (sound familiar?). The scores were level at one point but they couldn't get ahead at any time. We definitely didn't convert some opportunities up forward whereas Port made the most of their opportunities, one of the Port guys kicked 5 goals. Also I thought our defense was poor today, there were 3 or 4 goals that Port got running into an open goal. Wangers had an ordinary game and Cheney had the worst game I have seen him play for Box Hill (at one point he was caught 'Schoey like' and the resulting free kick was an easy goal for Port). There were way too many turnovers and most of them were costly. Sam Cust played a good game and I thought Mirra was the best of the defenders. Didn't think any of the Hawthorn listed players particularly impressed, probably Woody was the best of them.

They let them get away to a lead in the first quarter and were playing catch up all day (sound familiar?). The scores were level at one point but they couldn't get ahead at any time. We definitely didn't convert some opportunities up forward whereas Port made the most of their opportunities, one of the Port guys kicked 5 goals. Also I thought our defense was poor today, there were 3 or 4 goals that Port got running into an open goal. Wangers had an ordinary game and Cheney had the worst game I have seen him play for Box Hill (at one point he was caught 'Schoey like' and the resulting free kick was an easy goal for Port). There were way too many turnovers and most of them were costly. Sam Cust played a good game and I thought Mirra was the best of the defenders. Didn't think any of the Hawthorn listed players particularly impressed, probably Woody was the best of them.
Summed it up well bumps also some stupid frees were given away in the forward 50 resulting in goals ,and also 3 box hill boys up to spoil and no one down to crumb happened more than once.

Woodward was named as Box Hills Best; according to the VFL website score-centre anyhow:

Best:Woodward, Andrews, Ross, Cust, Webster, Iles
Golas: Cust 2, Collins 2, Kennedy, Grimley, Ross, O'Brien, Murphy, Lowden, Franetic, O'Donnell, Andrews.

Anyhow....Once a few more of our soldiers return we'll be a 5 goal better side to be sure.....Still in the thick of it!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Woodward was named as Box Hills Best; according to the VFL website score-centre anyhow:

Best:Woodward, Andrews, Ross, Cust, Webster, Iles
Golas: Cust 2, Collins 2, Kennedy, Grimley, Ross, O'Brien, Murphy, Lowden, Franetic, O'Donnell, Andrews.

Anyhow....Once a few more of our soldiers return we'll be a 5 goal better side to be sure.....Still in the thick of it!

Was just about to post, a little surprised by this.

Port Melbourne YOU BEAUTY :D

Seriously, yet another classic between these two sides.

Only downside, the very quiet Hawks supporters. Barely made a noise all day despite being a very close match. Find some voice people!

Port Melbourne YOU BEAUTY :D

Seriously, yet another classic between these two sides.

Only downside, the very quiet Hawks supporters. Barely made a noise all day despite being a very close match. Find some voice people!

I think you might have heard us if we had managed to actually hit the front, unfortunately frustrated sighs aren't very noisy.

Agree they are always good matches between these two sides and credit to Port, they have plenty of loyal supporters (who seem to turn out in droves :mad: ;) ).

How did TOB and Grimley go today and are they a chance to play the next three weeks againts the bottom sides

They both kicked a goal each but struggled to make an impact on the game (IMO). Grimley did make a great leap in the last quarter to try and take a mark but wasn't able to grab it (would have been a real speccy had it come off), kind of symbolic of BH's match as a whole, just couldn't quite get things to happen. I don't think either of them did enough today to earn them a call up next week.

I think it is time to stop experimenting with players in the Hawthorn side. Stick with who is in there now to get some sort of a system/teamwork going and only make changes as the stars return from injury.

I think it is time to stop experimenting with players in the Hawthorn side. Stick with who is in there now to get some sort of a system/teamwork going and only make changes as the stars return from injury.

Agree LM. With 1 exception - like Woody to get an opportunity

Saw the last Q in the Dev squad. Shem took a nice mark, a few minutes later then swooped down on a ball on the deck, clean hands neat handball GOOAAAL. Looks unsure but he seems to be able to do everything.

The track was dead and soft in places. The heavy going killed our kids in the end and they just ran out of puff. Port are a good team, they apply physical pressure and do their best to control the footy, good test for our lads.

Initially there was a gusty four goal breeze blowing to the Whitehorse Rd end. They had the wind and Ayresy started with a five man forward line, Cheney was our spare man.

Lowden rucked well and leapt strongly until doing his ankle(?). Grim then rucked for most of the second half. Best game he has produced this year, rucked very well. Someone has told him to jump when the ball is in his vicinity. It works well at a ruck contest but sometimes he jumps and is about two metres off where the ball will drop or he makes a huge leap to take an uncontested mark.

I would have had Zac Webster BOG at half time. Plays footy like a Jack Russell terrier, one day he will bite someone. Spent some time on the ball and found it often enough. His kicking is more Wedge/9 iron stuff, needs to smooth that out. Good prospect.

Wang was poor, ran off a HBF. Made an error early and seemed to kill his confidence.

The Brand wagon keeps rolling along. KB confidently kills the high ball and can offer some rebound. Still playing skinny kid footy but it is good SKF. Cannot recall him getting outmarked.

TO started well, should have been paid a towering mark early. Gets his hands to a heap of high balls. I thought he faded as the match went on. The only concern is his lack of impact on a game. He seems to be able to do everything extremely well, yet does not kick a lot of goals.

My personal highlight was seeing Willsmore. He played off a wing/HFF. Does everything well and has time. A blind turn through traffic and then spots up a neat pass was merely a soupçon of what we can expect from this fella. Have not been this pumped since Timmy Hazell.

Another good hit out from Woody. Spent the entire match on the ball and when he tired so did our supply. The diminutive Woody is a long shot to make it due to his lack of size and penetration with his kicking. The upside is he hunts the ball as good as anyone going around.

Out side of the above business as usual for Hurt Heatherly, poleaxed a couple of guys, smashed the footy when it was near, started showing some dash. Sicily was quiet but did a few nice things. He may or may not be fit as he is continually belting/being belted off the ball. Had enough shots on goal where he could have kicked two or three.

Wanga - Got a bit of the ball but disposal was poor. Seems to have stagnated a bit this year after a huge second half to last years premiership winning season.

Grimley - Didn't like his game at FF and looked far more natural in the ruck. Scored a real gem of a goal from 50m out with a huge roost and competed well in the ruck. Hopefully will see more game time in there.

Woody - Got a lot of the ball in some good areas. Question his disposal and decision making at times but will definitely play AFL at some stage in his career. Unsure he will get a look-in this year but with all the injuries we've got, who knows!

Lowden - Played well in the ruck and got a few touches around the ground and kicked a goal before coming off just after half-time. More precautionary than anything...

Webster - Really liked his game. Has been quiet these past few weeks but definitely upped his game against some really good opposition. Needs to find some consistency but there is potential there

TO - Positions himself great in contested marking situations and always looks to grab the ball at its highest point but didn't really bring them down yesterday. Once he's a bit stronger I suspect he's going to be a really great player for us.

Litherland/Cheney/Kelly - All solid contributors but a little down on their usual output I thought.

Thought Heatherly was a lot better than previous weeks and started to get more involved. I still don't know who Brand is so will endeavour to learn of his number next time I watch so I can do a better report on him!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back