Round 8 2015: Hawthorn vs Sydney - MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

smeltitdeltit

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yeah when you make no attempt at the ball and a fair attempt at the coat hanger they pay 50s these days. Remember the Jordan Lewis one?

They paid it a non mark and an arm chop. Would have preferred the mark rather than the terrible play on. Only reason we got a goal in the end was a Hawks fluff up on the goal line.

Anything else?
We're you at the game on the boundary line for the latter arm chop? How do you know it was called an arm chop?

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Rioli was great- I think he's an exciting and talented player, I think he's overrated and I think injuries are a large part of him not really playing to his full ability or to the extent he's hyped up...

BUT

The commentators make him insufferable, them over-reacting to everything he does than trying to justify his mark between two players being uncontested as "It's the way he just jumps up" is painful. It's painful to listen to the commentators talk about him all match and it was almost euphoric to watch the game slip between his fingers.

That's it exactly, you end up hoping he *s up. If there was any justice in the world, McAvaney would've been calling that play. "Ohhhhhhh Cyril!"

Halftimehero

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 26, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Not much room for error now for the Hawks in the remainder of the season, top two pretty much gone already and with interstate teams occupying the top positions will make it hard for the Hawks to challenge for the three peat.

Lord Eddard

Club Legend
Jul 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
We're you at the game on the boundary line for the latter arm chop? How do you know it was called an arm chop?

Going off the commentary. In any case how did it benefit sydney when the correct call would have been a set shot.

The only reason it ended in a goal was a Hawks mistake. It was a terrible call that disadvantaged sydney yet you feel hard done by it. Weird.

lordbob

Team Captain
Aug 21, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It'd look like sour grapes if we lost but geez the umps were on the Hawks tonight.

We got a terrible HTB decision our way in the last quarter but everything else from quarter time on went to the Hawks.

I felt their petty umpiring slowed down what could have been a great game.

probably leave comments on umpires to the neutral supporters, those who support one of the two will always have our rose coloured glasses on, you surely do and I probably do as well in disagreeing with you.

eg that 50m for high contact? ... it was in the marking contest!

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
Swans got the rub as usual.
You really want to go there? You really want to make a case on BF that one team is favoured by the umpires?

Not that it proves jack s**t, but the Swans board is full of posts saying the umpires were dead against us all night.

As indeed, is any team's board after any game, win or lose.

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Rioli was great- I think he's an exciting and talented player, I think he's overrated and I think injuries are a large part of him not really playing to his full ability or to the extent he's hyped up...

BUT

The commentators make him insufferable, them over-reacting to everything he does than trying to justify his mark between two players being uncontested as "It's the way he just jumps up" is painful. It's painful to listen to the commentators talk about him all match and it was almost euphoric to watch the game slip between his fingers.
Yes, yes, yes.
The ridiculous exaggeration and also the failure to criticise. Rioli will never make a mistake, he'll be 'unlucky'.

Was the same this afternoon, the commentators couldn't stop saying how good WCE, and Yeo in particular, were. Then Yeo proceeded to have a very average first half before smacking Webster in the face. Commentators didn't even mention his name as the offender, went very quiet.

Lord Eddard

Club Legend
Jul 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
probably leave comments on umpires to the neutral supporters, those who support one of the two will always have our rose coloured glasses on, you surely do and I probably do as well in disagreeing with you.

eg that 50m for high contact? ... it was in the marking contest!

Fair enough.

With the 50s for high it's a new thing used to piss me off but umpires regularly give 50s if you line a bloke and make no attempt at the ball. It's been consistent in the last few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

smeltitdeltit

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Going off the commentary. In any case how did it benefit sydney when the correct call would have been a set shot.

The only reason it ended in a goal was a Hawks mistake. It was a terrible call that disadvantaged sydney yet you feel hard done by it. Weird.
No, it would have disadvantaged sydney had it missed and gone through for a behind.
The tv coverage certainly had no inclination it was a arm chop instead of a mark.
And if that was called high, then they well and truly lost the plot with all the thousand other higher non called contests in the game.

lordbob

Team Captain
Aug 21, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Fair enough.

With the 50s for high it's a new thing used to piss me off but umpires regularly give 50s if you line a bloke and make no attempt at the ball. It's been consistent in the last few years.

only if it is late, otherwise there is no rule to allow a 50m. If it is high during a marking contest, regardless if you line him up or not, it is only a free kick... and a report for the worst cases. But if it is not late then it is never a 50m by the letter of the law.

Quad22

Senior List
Jun 29, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
You really want to go there? You really want to make a case on BF that one team is favoured by the umpires?

Not that it proves jack s**t, but the Swans board is full of posts saying the umpires were dead against us all night.

As indeed, is any team's board after any game, win or lose.
Neither team wins or loses games due to the umpiring.

BF needs to realise that sooner or later.

Lord Eddard

Club Legend
Jul 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
only if it is late, otherwise there is no rule to allow a 50m. If it is high during a marking contest, regardless if you line him up or not, it is only a free kick... and a report for the worst cases. But if it is not late then it is never a 50m by the letter of the law.

Since when do umpires go off the letter of the law? :-/ I've found it pretty consistent last few years. We got one against a few weeks ago when Rohan lined someone up at the exact time the ball was marked.

vonn

Bigfooty Legend
10k Posts Pokemon is Life Meet-Up Master Pantskyle Podcaster WCE Wings Guernsey Casey Tutungi Future Fund
Sep 29, 2008
AFL Club
Sydney
nah he was just "trying to win poosition to win the ball" like Johnson last week

Carlton next week. The break may freshen McV up.

Sep 11, 2006
MCG
AFL Club
Collingwood

BUT

NOONE ELSE CAN DO IT! ONLY CYRIL DOES IT! .... * me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back