Round 8 2015: Hawthorn vs Sydney - MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Cyril just received second BOG on the Sunday Footy Show, what a joke. Beyond overrated.

Who would you have given the votes to in this game
It's amazing how many ex footballers don't have a clue when it comes to rating a player

Nah. Most supporters think that there is a player in their team that 'does things nobody else can do'. Rioli's a really good player, but I haven't seen him do anything that I haven't seen other players do. He had a great game tonight, but I didn't see anything 'unique'.

You probably missed all the off the ball stuff last night. We see things differently at Hawthorn. At Geelong it's all about the big hangers and big goals. Kept your supporters happy for 20 years through the 1980's and 1990's.

What?
Go missing for big chunks of the match?
Roughead, & Gunston are good at that too.
I've been watching footy for quite some time too.

Cyril doesn't do what he does often enough & it costs.

There is a world of difference between seeing things as they are and thinking you know what you are talking about.

It's amazing how many ex footballers don't have a clue when it comes to rating a player

Parker, Mitchell and McVeigh. Probably in that order.

EDIT: Maybe replace McVeigh with Hannebery. It's close though.

mate don't talk s**t. we lost that game ourselves, just like we lost the essendon game. This season is bullshit, how are we out 8th.
mate, thats exactly wot i said, swans have yet to beat us off their own boot; 24-18 scoring shots, 54-36 inside 50s. Would hope swans fans would want to see them actually win one of these with some actual good footy... ya know, kinda like 2014 GF :D

Last edited:
Parker, Mitchell and McVeigh. Probably in that order.

EDIT: Maybe replace McVeigh with Hannebery. It's close though.

I don't know who the votes went to but in a 4 point game, I really believe that cyril was one of the Hawks best And deserved votes - whether it was second best is open to discussion with those who are far more knowledgeable than me. I also presume by mitchell you mean sam not Tom and tbh While he was okay I think cyril had the bigger impact of the two

Cyril just received second BOG on the Sunday Footy Show, what a joke. Beyond overrated.

It was based on the 6 replays of him playing on from a metre out of bounds & then proceeding to kick it out on the full.
The Channel 7l Hawk love fest was there for all to see.
What about the real match winner.
McVeigh!
Two goals once we were 12 points down & an assist for the 3rd that won us the match.

It was based on the 6 replays of him playing on from a metre out of bounds & then proceeding to kick it out on the full.
The Channel 7l Hawk love fest was there for all to see.
What about the real match winner.
McVeigh!
Two goals once we were 12 points down & an assist for the 3rd that won us the match.

Did he really get BOG? i mean if true that's well over the top i would of had Mitchell, Hanneberry well ahead of him.

Cyril was creative no doubt but its quite a stretch to suggest he was the best player on the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brownlow votes:

3. - Daniel Hannebery (Sydney)
2. - Luke Parker (Sydney)
1. - Sam Mitchell (Hawthorn)

Hannebery deservedly firming in Brownlow favouritism right now (most bookmakers have bought him in to 2nd favourite), as the main challenger to Nat Fyfe. I'd have him on 13 votes from 8 games so far.

I don't know who the votes went to but in a 4 point game, I really believe that cyril was one of the Hawks best And deserved votes - whether it was second best is open to discussion with those who are far more knowledgeable than me. I also presume by mitchell you mean sam not Tom and tbh While he was okay I think cyril had the bigger impact of the two
I would have had:
Hanners 3 vots
S Mitchell 2 votes
Parker 1 vote

The terms you guys lost (1st and 4th) Mitchell had little to no impact. He cut us apart in the 2nd and 3rd which you guys were well on top. Rioli did some fancy finishing stuff (like uncontested mark of the year) but he was more of the gravy you put on a roast, where Mitchell was the meat of it.

I would have had:
Hanners 3 vots
S Mitchell 2 votes
Parker 1 vote

The terms you guys lost (1st and 4th) Mitchell had little to no impact. He cut us apart in the 2nd and 3rd which you guys were well on top. Rioli did some fancy finishing stuff (like uncontested mark of the year) but he was more of the gravy you put on a roast, where Mitchell was the meat of it.

We will need to agree to disagree - when the game was there for the taking cyril was in to everything and a major reason they got back into the game. The coaches votes may reflect that very differently - like I said, I'm no expert and the results on the Hawks board lean 50/40 rioli, but then again, we over rate him :rolleyes:

We will need to agree to disagree - when the game was there for the taking cyril was in to everything and a major reason they got back into the game. The coaches votes may reflect that very differently - like I said, I'm no expert and the results on the Hawks board lean 50/40 rioli, but then again, we over rate him :rolleyes:
Fair enough. Not saying Riloi wasn't highly involved because he was, but just felt Mitchell started what Rioli finished

Happy to agree to disagree though :)

Yeah, as people have already said - Hannebery, Parker, S.Mitchell, Lewis, Kennedy, Smith all had great games. Even just now the pregame show for the Dogs V Melb game they quickly spoke about last night, and showed highlights of Cyril and carried on about how his 15 touches are apparently worth 40. Give it a rest.

So how does your resume stack up against them and their lousy opinions

Oh okay, so I'm not an "expert" AFL commentator or ex player, therefore my opinion doesn't count? He isn't as good as the media makes him out to be mate, it's as simple as that. I'm not saying he's s**t, he's clearly good, but he isn't the world-beater that he is portrayed to be.
The continual exaggeration of his influence/ability by the media is actually damaging his reputation. It makes people happy to see him make calamitous errors like the fumble that caused him to not win the Hawks the game last night.

You probably missed all the off the ball stuff last night. We see things differently at Hawthorn. At Geelong it's all about the big hangers and big goals. Kept your supporters happy for 20 years through the 1980's and 1990's.

Nah, saw the off the ball stuff too, lots of players do much the same, some better I think (and no, not from Geelong). Regarding the bolded, that's relevant how?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back