Unofficial Preview Round 8 Early Thoughts: Sydney v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
This week's preview is brought to you by discotobo, who says "up yours" to pessimism. I already feel more uplifted after reading it ;)

Link to original post: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...dney-v-hawthorn.1097579/page-13#post-38636304

MATCH PREVIEW

Hawks vs Swans

Saturday 23 May, 11:20AM (Switzerland Time)

MCG

Well, it’s here. Round 8, 2015 – the date most of us underlined in red ink when the draw was announced sometime last year. It’s our date with the Hawks. Our chance at Grand Final redemption.

There’s two ways of looking at this game. We could look at our recent record against the Hawks, the MCG, the form of the teams and the coaches and think, gee, we’re gonna get done here. But there’s another more positive approach – and it’s not altogether unfeasible. I’m going with the latter.

So give out those good vibrations, boys and girls. This could be a weekend to savour – one that cements us high in the top four, two games clear of those dastardly bastards in brown and gold.

Recent Form

Hawks: W L W L W L W __ (see a pattern here?)

Swans: W W W L L W W __

The Bookies:

Hawks: 1.60

Swans: 2.35

Last three times we’ve met:

2014 Grand Final

Hawks 21.11 137 Swans 11.8 74

2014 Rd. 18

Hawks 15.14 104 Swans 13.16 94

2014 Rd. 8

Swans 15.17 107 Hawks 13.10 88

Team Scopes

The red birds will be without Isaac “I dream of” Heeney but will be bolstered by the outstanding form of Luke Parker, Tom Mitchell and a revitalized Adam Goodes. A shadow may hang over Skirt Tippet and Jake “Pinkf” Lloyd, though I’m expecting both to play.

The bastards will be without Luke Hodge who has another week to punch walls with Clarko. Jordan Lewis is back from suspension and Brian Lake should be back from injury.

Key Players

Sam Reid – the man is back (actually, was he ever here?) He’s taking marks, hassling around the wings and all of a sudden has mastered the art of the deft handpass. He’s well on his way to stringing together 4 straight solid games. Hell, even Hawthorn can’t boast that. Sammy’ll need another kick arse game if we’re to be a chance.

Dane Rampe – the great Dane hasn’t been quite as great this season. Even as recent as this weekend he seemed to be playing a continual game of catch up – and that was against a Cats forward line missing Tomahawk. Thing is, Dane can play. I’m backing him to have a great day against the Hawks.

Adam Goodes – did you see him bounce back against Geelong? Sheesh, I might have called career on the great man a tad early. I know Goodesy reads our board and I want to be the first to say “Sorry to have doubted you, big fella. Get out there and destroy!”

Jarad “no nickname required” Roughhead – he’s a bloody good player this fella and he can pop up anywhere from the centre square to the goal square, often with three or four opposition players hanging off him.

Luke Hodge – the only kisses he’ll be giving Buddy will be after the game. Thugs watch games from the stands.

Alastair Clarkson – I don’t really have much to say about Clarko. Other than to suggest that you give him a wide berth if you catch him in the car park on your way home.

Prediction

You’ll no doubt remember the 2012 Qualifying Final when the Swans travelled over to Adelaide to tackle the Crows. No one gave us a chance away from home. The Crows were running hot and we had lost three of our last four games. You’ll also remember how we gave the Crows an absolute flogging.

You may also recall round two this year, again in Adelaide, when a less than convincing Swans outfit fronted up against the Power. We’d played three shocking quarters against the drug cheats the week before and our NAB Cup form was pedestrian at best. Well, we came out and smacked them too.

The point of all this is that this game bears a few similarities in my book. We’re not quite setting the world on fire, we’re away from home and the bookies and pretty much everyone else has written us off. Well, the bookies have flushed a fair bit of money down the toilet this year already.

I reckon our blokes have been saving something special up for this one.

Tom Mitchell’s inclusion has made us much more versatile, with JPK, Parks and KJ all swinging forward.

Lloydy has been great.

Gary Rohan has got so much upside if he can shelve his customary farkupp or two for the evening.

Reg and Ted are still holding things together.

We’ve got a guy called Nick Smith who rarely gets beaten.

Kurt is due for a bag, Buddy is a big game player and Jetts is on song.

And sheesh, I re-watched the Cats game and Shaw actually did a few good things. The only thing we need is motivation, and we’ve got a truckload of that.

Be pessimistic if you want, but I’m putting this down as a red letter day.

Swans by sixteen

Last edited:
Good to see our midfielders get amongst the goals again, Parker the standout obviously but Mitchell with 3 goals shows he is adding another string to his bow. If they can replicate that work rate I think we are a chance next week. I probably don't need to say this, but we will get destroyed if we turn the ball over like we did in the first half.

Last edited:
Ill go against the grain and say our best is more than good enough in all honesty

Whichever midfield wins decides the game

Our defence cant be held to constant repeat entries, clarkson will try to isolate them all one out

Lower the eyes going forward

Win clearances keep the ball inside 50

Jack should play forward

Shaw should go and im not saying it to be funny he will add nothing v the hawks

In all seriousness they are a fantastic side but they are not unbeatable clearly, they have weaknesses, i have seen them crack when teams fight hard and apply pressure, play our game, frustrate them, run hard

I think we played a different style tonight and maybe it caused errors early

I've loved seeing Longmire playing Buddy up the ground and throwing all kinds of combinations forward, almost like he's challenging the team to look for and create other options.

I liked what i saw with Goodes tonight but do we dare play him against Hawthorn knowing they will isolate and run of him?

Look we have our work cut out thats for sure if we dont break even in the midfield and match their outside run then we are done as they will pile over hundred points against us again.

Can't expect the defence to hold 60 entries with a high scoring team like Hawthorn.

Win/Lose i just want to see change just something different if we bring more of the same ala 2014 we will get done.

discotobo - are you still OK to write this week's preview?

Talk about stating the obvious, but this is an absolute massive game in terms of top 2 and possibly even top 4. Besides the rivalry between our clubs, this is seriously a 8 point game. If we win, 2 game break between us and them - which is absolutely massive and if we lose it is all even stevens, actually it isn't they take over us on the ladder because of percentage. Talk about a massive game.

Talk about stating the obvious, but this is an absolute massive game in terms of top 2 and possibly even top 4. Besides the rivalry between our clubs, this is seriously a 8 point game. If we win, 2 game break between us and them - which is absolutely massive and if we lose it is all even stevens, actually it isn't they take over us on the ladder because of percentage. Talk about a massive game.

Not just top 2 or top 4. It is also about belief. I think Swans players have almost convinced themselves they can't beat Hawthorn and that is a very dangerous mindset to be in come finals time. The players need to beat Hawthorn to prove to themselves that they can.

Not just top 2 or top 4. It is also about belief. I think Swans players have almost convinced themselves they can't beat Hawthorn and that is a very dangerous mindset to be in come finals time. The players need to beat Hawthorn to prove to themselves that they can.
Very true, i remember even beating them early last year and just going down to them at the MCG, every player and coach would just repeat "They're the best team in the comp. and we are not". Whilst they were right, I just don't like this attitude, almost as if we don't want to take the spot of being the best in the league. Hopefully it changes this year. Mind you they were actually the best team in the comp lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tough one away. Still grumpy about our poor kicking this week.

Study the Hawks next week boys, to see how it's done.

Looking at the injury lists both teams will be close to full strength minus 1 or 2 players.

We're a chance but i honestly don't think we've bridged the gap between the two sides since last year in any way.

I hope the boys prove me wrong on Saturday night.

I think the scoreline regardless of who wins will be pretty close. It should go without saying those setting the game plan will have noticed the Hawks game against Port and what Port did to unsettle them.

The other thing to remember is that it does seem like this team has been growing and changing since the beginning of the year. It might be cliched to say but we're building. If we go down it won't be without a fight and there will be a good deal of positives to take away from it.

Also lasts night game would have put some confidence into the team (even though it seems to sapped this forums).

I am looking forward to this game. I'm less concerned with a win than I am to see whether we've learnt anything about how to deal with the Hawk's gameplan
Judging by last night I think we will struggle. Too many handballs, for much of the night we had more handballs than kicks, and the Hawks will do what they did in the GF just sit off waiting for the handball receiver to get the ball and smash them in the tackle

Also our defence had too many brain snaps last night particularly in the first half although not fully punished by Geelong. Hopefully we ban the kick across goal in defence both for our chances of winning and my poor heart

Judging by last night I think we will struggle. Too many handballs, for much of the night we had more handballs than kicks, and the Hawks will do what they did in the GF just sit off waiting for the handball receiver to get the ball and smash them in the tackle

Also our defence had too many brain snaps last night particularly in the first half although not fully punished by Geelong. Hopefully we ban the kick across goal in defence both for our chances of winning and my poor heart

Kick across the goal is fine but let Jetta or McVeigh do it, Richards/Grundy/Rampe should be banned from kicking it across the goal to create a play.

We actually finished with more handballs than kicks which is just bizarre.

218 handballs
208 kicks

We have to be instructed to play that way presumably because Longmire knows our kicking defiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back