Preview Round 8 Faceoff: GWS Giants v Adelaide @ Spotless Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Lot of similarities between GWS this year and Gold Coast last year.

Both teams were 5-2 after the first 7 games. Each had a fantastic win against a good club (GWS v Hawks / GC vs North). Both got absolutely smashed when they travelled to Perth.

Have a read of the following game summary of the Suns after Rd 7 last year - Very similar to what I am reading about GWS this year.

http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2014/7/nmfc-v-gcfc

I am not fully sold on GWS. Their best is very good and we (along with 11 other teams) are unlucky to get them in the first half of the season. Due to their massive stockpile of talent - I think they have the ability to be much much better than us on Saturday. However - due to their inexperience and youth their bad football will be much much worse than our bad football.

I think this one is a genuine flip of the coin and is 100% dependent on which Giants team turns up. Lets hope that a huge win over the reigning premiers and a smashing of Carlton in Melbourne has them a little ahead of themselves this week.

Last edited:
Absolutely agree. The boys need to come and and be absolutely ruthless like a pack of horny wolves salivating at the mouth and destroy them. We just need to win games like this. GWS fans probably dont understand the rules of the game so they won't care either way.
Yeah, I hate the way the refs give away too many penalties and we lose in golden point.<shudder>

At least 50% of us are ex-pats who are GWS fans for geographical reasons. Some are people who dislike the Swans for one reason or another. You'd be surprised how many have been converted from the dark side. We've been flogged too many times to be arrogant about anything but maybe once we've eventually beaten you guys we can develop the first buds of a healthy hatred. :p

Yeah, I hate the way the refs give away too many penalties and we lose in golden point.<shudder>

At least 50% of us are ex-pats who are GWS fans for geographical reasons. Some are people who dislike the Swans for one reason or another. You'd be surprised how many have been converted from the dark side. We've been flogged too many times to be arrogant about anything but maybe once we've eventually beaten you guys we can develop the first buds of a healthy hatred. :p

What is the press like for the Giants in Sydney? Are you gaining much market share? Is there a lot more hype this year than last?

My thoughts are that the footy experts have this one wrong. I have seen every Crows slaughterfest at Spotless and you don't turn an 86 point average losing margin into a 40 pt win overnight on the back of that overhyped Carlton win.

These so called "Experts" have taken everything that Mick Malthouse said about GWS too seriously.

He was describing the performance of an improved GWS over his dismal club. This has to be taken in the context of that result and his need to play down Carltons ineptness.

The fact is Carlton made GWS look awesome. If GWS start believing the hype and think that we are Just another Carlton game then we are in with a huge chance to increase our average winning margin.
Except for Eddie and Sauce** we bare no resemblance to that rabble from Princess Park!

Crows by 100:)

** Add Eddie and Sauce to the Carlton side and they probably win.

If we were in GWS's position, we would lose this match. They are favourites at home against a top 8 side for the first time and every footy show has been talking about how good they are all week. If we were GWS this would be a game where we don't turn up for a quarter and lose the game, then talk about how the loss was a "wake up call".

I generally try to avoid betting on the Crows - the one exception was the Pies game where it was just easy easy easy money.

I will be putting a fair bit on them this weekend. $2.40 to win at the moment. Just seems one of those times that everyone is going to jump on GWS and its gonna over inflate the odds. Think this game is a real $1.90 each way game.

Possible lineups

Adelaide - 12 players under 50 games

Brown - Talia - Lever
Laird - Cheney - Mackay
Henderson - M.crouch - Cameron
Kerridge - Walker - Grigg
Betts - Jenkins - Lynch
Jacobs - Dangerfield - Thompson
CEY - Kelly - VB - Wright /Lyons

GWS - 8 players under 50 games

Patfull - Shaw - Buntine
Bug - Davis - Haynes
Greene - Coniflio - Griffen
Treloar - Macarthy - Shiel
Smith - Cameron - Hoskin-Elliot
Mumford - Ward - Scully
Kennedy - Williams - Stewart - Whitfield

Yet we are both 5-2, our talent must be better ;)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is the press like for the Giants in Sydney? Are you gaining much market share? Is there a lot more hype this year than last?
Still a fraction of the NRL. Channel 7 is fairly generous (no surprise) and generally positive. The print media is slowly giving over more column inches to the Giants. Once the Izzy Folau thing died out and the losses piled up in 2013 it was usually a quick mention of the game and then dropped. Now there's more interest because the wins are starting to stack up. People hear the names Cameron, Shiel, Treloar and know they are AFL GWS players at least.
Because the West Sydney Wanderers (soccer) had a bad year it gave the Giants more positive attention. The Wanderers still have too many ethnic issues (ie bad losers, swearing, wannabe Euro thugs) to make them somewhere you can take the kids.

Wouldn't say hype, maybe a growing general interest now that they are regarded as a real team. Early days. Many AFL supporters may barely remember when Adelaide Crows didn't exist. We hope to be like that in 20 years.

Spare a thought for those of us who are lactose intolerant.:cry:

Obviously I'm clueless, but if the Bickford Iced Coffee mix is Lactose free, can you add that to Almond Milk to have some sort of substitute?

Were you around when Capper started drawing a crowd in the 80's? And when Lockett did in the 90's?

Just wondering whether there is any similar vibe around the current GWS team given that finals are a chance now.

People love a winner as much as anything. Would be seriously exciting if they can start drawing 20k.
The thing that really helped the Swans was the superleague war in the mid to late 90's. Living just north of Sydney in the midst of that period I can tell you any "hype" that GWS is generating now pales in comparison to what the Swans were getting then.

Q
I live here , I'm finding more kids are playing AFL for clubs and even schools where no schools used to have AFL in their programs. While soccer is miles ahead for participation , AFL would have to be next in terms of participation growth .....hence we will see these high numbers of draftees coming out of nsw continue , especially with the academies . Does this equate to increased interest in the swans or the giants ....well not really , supporting an AFL team like an Adelaide or melb person might is still very rare and most of the kids that play don't necessarily watch much AFL

A win against the Giants and we *should* be 7-3 at the bye which is a massive effort considering our injuries.

We'll get Douglas, Sloane and Brad Crouch back after the bye too (hopefully Dougie & Sloaney for the Hawks game) which will be a massive boost.

I'd be happy to give Smith a few weeks off til the Hawks as well.

My thoughts are that the footy experts have this one wrong. I have seen every Crows slaughterfest at Spotless and you don't turn an 86 point average losing margin into a 40 pt win overnight on the back of that overhyped Carlton win.

These so called "Experts" have taken everything that Mick Malthouse said about GWS too seriously.

He was describing the performance of an improved GWS over his dismal club. This has to be taken in the context of that result and his need to play down Carltons ineptness.

The fact is Carlton made GWS look awesome. If GWS start believing the hype and think that we are Just another Carlton game then we are in with a huge chance to increase our average winning margin.
Except for Eddie and Sauce** we bare no resemblance to that rabble from Princess Park!

Crows by 100:)

** Add Eddie and Sauce to the Carlton side and they probably win.
Duck has backed us

Remove this Banner Ad

Back