Preview Round 8: Port Adelaide V Richmond @ Adelaide Oval - Sunday 4.40pm, 24/05/15

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
B: Dylan Grimes, Jake Batchelor, Alex Rance
HB: Bachar Houli, Nick Vlastuin, Troy Chaplin
C: Brandon Ellis, Trent Cotchin, Kamdyn McIntosh
HF: Dustin Martin, Shane Edwards, Anthony Miles
F: Jack Riewoldt, Ty Vickery, Brett Deledio
R: Ivan Maric, Shaun Grigg, Taylor Hunt
IC: Steve Morris, Corey Ellis, Connor Menadue, Ben Griffiths
Em: Liam McBean, Todd Elton, Matt Arnot

Edwards, Griffiths in for Elton, McBean.

Really like this side. Before the season I was thinking that this year would be one where we saw a bit of a change in the make up of the side and having the likes of Menadue & Corey Ellis coming in as well as Drummond earlier on it's definitely happening in a way I want to see us go.

My main concern at the moment is Hardwicks infatuation with Morris. He ain't a forwards arsehole and while he may lead the KPI for pressure acts you don't win games of footy as a small forward running around scaring players, you win games as a small forward by kicking goals and making the opposition s**t themselves when you go near the ball because you're a chance to do something special with it. Morris is a 1 dimensional player in that whether he is forward or back he has a kamikaze attack on the ball or the man, outside that there is nothing else that inspires.

For mine Morris needs to kick 1-3 goals this week lay 4-6 tackles and get 12-15 possessions to justify his position in the side. Otherwise we should be looking at Conca or McDonough for Dreamtime.
While I agree re- Morris, our small fwds are played by our resting mids essentially and they are the x factor types ie Lids, Martin etc. So to get others in we would have to delete a player or 2 from the midfield to do this. Who gets the chop?

Westhoff doesn't play like your typical tall forward either. I'd say grimes would run around with hoff and Chaplin to take Ryder/lobbe when they rest forward. I think rance will be able to take Schulz and still be providing rebound and support.

Grimes played a ripper last week and Has put in some great performances as a tall defender. Best he has looked since his run of games when our key defenders were just Rance and Grimes in 2012 before Grimes got hit with injury.

I just don't see Elton keeping his spot against a forward line that has Gray, Wingard, White, Monfries running through it.
Imo I think the MC simply stated where we would prefer the extra tall, ie in the fwd half or the reverse. We have preferred the other end of the ground. The fact that Grimes has the height to potentially play on the 3rd tall swayed the decision I think.

While I agree re- Morris, our small fwds are played by our resting mids essentially and they are the x factor types ie Lids, Martin etc. So to get others in we would have to delete a player or 2 from the midfield to do this. Who gets the chop?
You don't have to delete any one from the midfield to do it. For mine I'd use a mixture of Deledio Grigg Edwards Cotchin Martin Miles Conca B.Ellis McDonough McIntosh Vlastuin Lennon Menadue & C.Ellis rotating through the midfield and forward. As I've spoken about over the last 2 weeks, stack the forward line with offensive weapons who make the opposition defenders worry. I know it sounds strange but instead of trying to defend by playing defensive type HF/FP to negate an oppositions rebounding defender, make them concerned about having to stop someone who only needs 3-4 touches to kick 2-3 goals up forward if not watched closely.

If you want griffiths for flexibility then that doesnt say much for astbury does it. Griffiths need to do alot more than he does. He does 3 or 4 good things a game. He needs to start kicking 3 or 4 a game. Bit soft for mine. I woulda made him kick a bag in the 2s before bringing him back.

He wasn't dropped for form. He was left out for concussion.... Players dropped for form should need to show form before coming back in.... not players who have missed 1 week for a head knock....

You don't have to delete any one from the midfield to do it. For mine I'd use a mixture of Deledio Grigg Edwards Cotchin Martin Miles Conca B.Ellis McDonough McIntosh Vlastuin Lennon Menadue & C.Ellis rotating through the midfield and forward. As I've spoken about over the last 2 weeks, stack the forward line with offensive weapons who make the opposition defenders worry. I know it sounds strange but instead of trying to defend by playing defensive type HF/FP to negate an oppositions rebounding defender, make them concerned about having to stop someone who only needs 3-4 touches to kick 2-3 goals up forward if not watched closely.

Lids is probably the best to play on those types.... Can run and defenders may be reticent to run off in case a turnover happens....

Lids is probably the best to play on those types.... Can run and defenders may be reticent to run off in case a turnover happens....
Add Dusty Cotchin & Edwards to that. A rebounding defender running off of them would soon be told to tighten up if you have them kick a quick couple of goals while resting forward. With that group of players I named above there is be no reason why we couldn't simply rotate them through that rebounding defender constantly. Sunday against Port who have Pittard as their rebounding defender, how do you think he'd feel copping Deledio, then Martin, then Cotchin and finally Edwards rotating through the quarter. His sphincter would be tighter than a fishes having them rotate through the F50 and taking him deep. But we're likely to have Morris play on him and Pittard will continue to run off knowing that Morris isn't going to be that much of a threat.

Add Dusty Cotchin & Edwards to that. A rebounding defender running off of them would soon be told to tighten up if you have them kick a quick couple of goals while resting forward. With that group of players I named above there is be no reason why we couldn't simply rotate them through that rebounding defender constantly. Sunday against Port who have Pittard as their rebounding defender, how do you think he'd feel copping Deledio, then Martin, then Cotchin and finally Edwards rotating through the quarter. His sphincter would be tighter than a fishes having them rotate through the F50 and taking him deep. But we're likely to have Morris play on him and Pittard will continue to run off knowing that Morris isn't going to be that much of a threat.

I remember pittard running past Lloyd at will in the game at the Dome last year.... we ended up winning obviously but that just highlighted Lloyd's lack of defensive pressure for me....

Can't disagree with you about Morris. He is a backman or he is not on an AFL list....

The post was in the context of our current team right now. Above your using what you prefer with players who aren't playing at the moment (Lennon/Conca). I understand you want players who can get possessions plus kick goals, and hopefully provide tackles numbers and have small fwd IQ with x factor. I agree but right now, we use 2 of the 3 non tall positions in the fwdline with 2 rotating mids plus 1 defensive small. So to change that up and get what we want we would need to change the mix to get McDonough, Lennon or Conca into the mix, as well as defensive pressure and x factor in this area(to ultimately get rid of Morris), you will have to get rid of at least a couple of players from this current team. Remember I was saying this from the current team only, and referencing with defensive pressure which is the staple for x factor small fwds. Also it was also referring to getting McDonough into the team as well, and imo he isn't that pure small fwd high tackle type anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The post was in the context of our current team right now. Above your using what you prefer with players who aren't playing at the moment (Lennon/Conca). I understand you want players who can get possessions plus kick goals, and hopefully provide tackles numbers and have small fwd IQ with x factor. I agree but right now, we use 2 of the 3 non tall positions in the fwdline with 2 rotating mids plus 1 defensive small. So to change that up and get what we want we would need to change the mix to get McDonough, Lennon or Conca into the mix, as well as defensive pressure and x factor in this area(to ultimately get rid of Morris), you will have to get rid of at least a couple of players from this current team. Remember I was saying this from the current team only, and referencing with defensive pressure which is the staple for x factor small fwds. Also it was also referring to getting McDonough into the team as well, and imo he isn't that pure small fwd high tackle type anyway.
From our current side I'd take out Menadue & Morris for Conca and McDonough. Ideally a line up along the lines of:

B: Grimes Rance Batchelor
HB: Houli Chaplin Vlastuin
C: B.Ellis Grigg Conca
HF: Deledio Griffiths Martin
F: Edwards Riewoldt Vickery
R: Maric Cotchin Miles
INT: McIntosh McDonough Hunt
SUB: C.Ellis

While there isn't an out and out traditional small forward the options that we do have available to go through that position offer enough of a threat that the opposition would be concerned about them. In fact with that side you could almost leave Titch as a forward pocket with bursts in the midfield as his creativity and ability in traffic would work wonders at the feet of Jack/Ty down deep, then add that he is defensively very good and we'd get that combination you are talking about.

From our current side I'd take out Menadue & Morris for Conca and McDonough. Ideally a line up along the lines of:

B: Grimes Rance Batchelor
HB: Houli Chaplin Vlastuin
C: B.Ellis Grigg Conca
HF: Deledio Griffiths Martin
F: Edwards Riewoldt Vickery
R: Maric Cotchin Miles
INT: McIntosh McDonough Hunt
SUB: C.Ellis

While there isn't an out and out traditional small forward the options that we do have available to go through that position offer enough of a threat that the opposition would be concerned about them. In fact with that side you could almost leave Titch as a forward pocket with bursts in the midfield as his creativity and ability in traffic would work wonders at the feet of Jack/Ty down deep, then add that he is defensively very good and we'd get that combination you are talking about.
Sure but that wasn't the context of which my reply was meant. I also like that team, but it would mean the emphasis on those fwds to tackle.

What is wrong with the person who writes the ins and outs of teams on the AFL website? Always makes up s**t about milestone games. Said that C.Ellis and or Elton were playing their first games and now this week they're saying that Menadue is playing his first game.
The milestone is that they played their 1st game (meaning Menadue is playing his 2nd game). I am not sure why they do that, but that is what they mean

Didn't say he is quick, just quicker than Hunt.
Hunt is pretty one paced anyway, I think he's handy but that's it. Conca still has a hell of a lot of upside, and at his best CAN burst away from a pack. I don't think Hunt quite has that burst.

Hunt is way quicker than conca. Hunt is a line breaker.

Sure but that wasn't the context of which my reply was meant. I also like that team, but it would mean the emphasis on those fwds to tackle.
I think I know what you're getting at and to my mind the guys I have starting there and then rotating through there will create enough pressure through their offensive work that they don't have to play that purely defensive forward role. I mentioned last week that the Hawks set up is something that we should be aiming at. The Hawks have 3 talls with Roughead Gunston Ceglar/McEvoy/Hale then Rioli & Puopolo are the smalls who create defensive pressure, not just through manic chasing of the opposition, but also through their offensive threat in that they can kick 2-3 goals from very few touches so they are the ones who get sat on rather than asking them to sit on the opposition defender. Then there is the likes of Bruest Shiel Smith Hill who rotate through. That is something we should be working towards as they say the best form of defense is a good offense.

Can someone please explain to me why we are playing menadue , when he is clearly not ready , while ee have McDonough Lennon and conca in the reserves .

Very risky strategy

Can someone please explain to me why we are playing menadue , when he is clearly not ready , while ee have McDonough Lennon and conca in the reserves .

Very risky strategy
Lennon isn't up to it , Conca isn't fit enough, Mc is not dh fav while arnot is. It's the richmond way. If mena plays it's because we are very short for speed and port are a speedy side.

Very risky strategy
McDonough should have been playing possibly in front of Menadue although I'd prefer it was in front of Morris.

Very risky strategy

I can kind of understand it, but i'm not happy about it. Menadue is very very quick and fit, exactly what you want in a sub. He'll make teams think when he comes on, and as Tigerbob said last week he opens up space with his running ability. But its frustrating for his development as it takes away valuable game time.

McDonough in some ways playing AFL will hurt him (the way Dimma wants to play him). Playing as the sub won't push him into best 21 calculations and will probably in fact shunt him further down the pecking order. Nor being will being a travelling emergency help him, it's better he dominates VFL this week then doesn't play.

That all being said he should be playing ahead of Morris.

I think Lennon is something similar as above as he played sub too much last year.

Conca needs to dominate VFL, he has been very good in his two games but I guess they want him to take a game apart before he gets back up to AFL level. But thats just a theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back