Preview Round 8: Saints vs Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

I KNOW this is early, and obviously this'll sit for the week. But yeah, I just opened the envelope from the club with my ticket to the game on Sunday twilight. Any of you going to come over for the game?

So, for mine, it's all about structure. We need more in the inside, and we need more in the forward line.

Out: Wright (inj) :mad:, Milne/Milera (preferably Milne)
In: Jones/Ledger/Curren, Maister (PLEASE be fit, Beau!)

If Maister can't come in, I'd settle for Lee... and if Lee can't come in, well, fine, bring in TWO inside mids: Jones and Ledger/Curren. I already thought we were short an inside mid against Carlton, and that was BEFORE they took out Jones (AND Saunders!:eek:).

I already thought we were short an inside mid against Carlton, and that was BEFORE they took out Jones (AND Saunders!:eek:).

Possibly - given his ability to run games out (and our lack of movement late in the match last night) and our small forwards not really providing any assistance to the midfield.

Although with the plan to run Gears in the midfield with Flopsy Murphy and Dal Santo to go head-to-head with Judd, it maybe seemed the right move pre-match. Monty had an off night though - only 1 possession in the last quarter and 2 clearances for the game.

But for sure Jones should come straight back into consideration for next week.

Geary v Dangerfield is something I'd like to see.

I know I wasn't popular for suggesting Clint Jones make way in the midfield for Gears, but I truly feel it's for the benefit of the team moving forward. His omission was surely about team balance, and the tagging role was given to another?

Geary tries to hurt his opponent the other way as well as shut them down, if he keeps peppering the goals it will turn eventually (3 scores on Murphy)

Seb Ross looks to have that weird matrix thing in his game, when while he is not fast, the game appears to stand still while he thinks his way out of it. I'd like to give him a decent opponent this week, like a Van Berlo, to go head to head with. Let's give them responsibility and let them shine.

Don't get the morbid calls about Stanley. His work off the ball is immense, he is gaining confidence, and really looks comfortable down back for mine. He will probably take their resting ruckman, whoever that will be? I'd say Gwilt will get Lynch?

Yeah, Ross reminded me at times of Harvey, with the whole "Matrix" thing going for him. You're sure he's holding on too long, and there's opposition players all around him, but for some reason, he just seems to always get the kick out - to the right person - every time. Give him another pre-season for his tank, and he'll be pretty damn exciting.

So, for mine, it's all about structure. We need more in the inside, and we need more in the forward line.

Out: Wright (inj) :mad:, Milne/Milera (preferably Milne)
In: Jones/Ledger/Curren, Maister (PLEASE be fit, Beau!)

If Maister can't come in, I'd settle for Lee... and if Lee can't come in, well, fine, bring in TWO inside mids: Jones and Ledger/Curren. I already thought we were short an inside mid against Carlton, and that was BEFORE they took out Jones (AND Saunders!:eek:).

Agreed. Milne, Wright OUT. Webster starts, Milera sub. Curren/Saunders to the forward pocket initially, then rotating through the middle. Would possibly bring in 2 mids, coming off a 6 day break + travel + tendency to fail running out Q4 + Lee needs to find touch in the VFL first + Maister may not be fit.

Who goes to Wayne Carey?

How has Dunnell been going in the AFL? He was ok last year and may be the right pick for the sub.

We should be right in this game. The last three weeks our intensity has been good, let down by a qtr each week and some lack of poise, particulary in front of goal. But the Crows forward line is a shadow of what it was last year. If we can bring the same intensity for FOUR quarters and not panic in front of goal I give us a red hot chance.

IN: Maister
OUT: Wright :(

Not sure we need to make any other changes. No point changing a winning side :)

Dunno if it's just me, (please don't crucify me if I'm wrong) but whenever I see Newnes tackle someone (especially last night) it reminded me a bit of Lenny.

Wright will come out, hopefully Maister will be fit, i can see us being taken apart with just one tall forward (I consider sippos to be medium).

Perhaps Jones comes in, and Ray takes Wright's role? Didn't think Ray played badly, his first half atleast was pretty good.

Milne kicked 2 so i think he'll stay, Saad only the one (or maybe it was also two) but he was unlucky, in the last quarter i saw two or three highs, in one instance Walked had his entire arm around Saad's neck and he didn't get a free.

Steven has had me on his fishing line for a while and tonight he's reeled me in, perhaps its time i get a picture of him as my dp. Seb Ross was also good, Newnes as mentioned, although maybe not as obvious i think he put on some good pressure and Webster did well to come on as a sub.

In: Jones, Maister (if fit).
Out: Wright, ???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dempster - Stanley - Gwilt
Webster - Fisher - Roberton
Siposs - Armo - Dal Santo
Saad - Roo - Ross
Milera - Maister - Montagna
McEvoy - Steven - Geary
Ray - Curren - Hickey
(Newnes)

Out - Milne and Wright
In - Maister and Curren
Milney's good was pretty good but those around the body stab passes have to go. Twice he speared it to a Carlton bloke who took off up the ground. Lucky they didn't score goals either time. The smart-arse run around of TWO players was the worst though. He either didn't see the second bloke or grossly over estimated his ability to baulk them both at once.

Would like to give him a week off to play a team game for Sandy while Saad and Milera show us what they have.

Gwilt to Lynch, Stanley to Jenkins. Fish to show McKernan a clean set of heels.

Wouldn't mind seeing Roberton on Porp. He's in pretty average nick for them and Rob could do to him what he did to Eddie last night, really hurt them going the other way.

Geary on Danger. Dal head to head with Sloane.

We are a sneaky chance here :thumbsu:

Am I the only one that doesn't want Maister to come back in? Since he has been out Riewoldt has been in superb form (Sydney, Collingwood and Carlton). I just think at the moment the balance we have up there is working and we shouldn't try an alter a winning combination up there as Hickey offers us more as a ruckman I feel with the knock on effect to Mcevoy's game.

We need to stop Dangerfield to have a chance of winning this game and try to add pressure to their ball carriers,
So maybe we have Steven vs Danger head to head?, get Dal/Armo on Thomson and have Ray/Jones on Sloane

Danger is brilliant, would love to have him at the Saints. He is a bit Watson like in that he can take the tagger forward where there is damage to be done. I'd say just go head to head and try to get first use ourselves.

Wouldn't mind seeing Roberton on Porp. He's in pretty average nick for them and Rob could do to him what he did to Eddie last night, really hurt them going the other way.

pretty sure porps will be playing for westies this week. hendo to come in.

Can't see another youngen come in, we have about 6 which i think is a good number as it puts games into them while keeping us competitive... i just can't see us playing 7+ and expecting to win a game... we'd need to be up by atleast 45 at 3 quarter time :p

Guys, Milne is not going to come out of the side. It is very obvious that Watters wants to maintain the top tier hierarchy as much as possible in order to have the youth something to actually play up to, the fact Kosi has been played is proof of this.

Milne for all his bad (egotistical) decisions still kicked two goals in a low scoring game and had a good effort across the field in general. He is not going to change mentally at 33yo and 250+ games and the only thing you can do is wait for his body to catch up to him like last year which, in my opinion, is starting to happen.

Can't see a reason why we can't win this either. Their forward line, despite the 10 goals from Lynch, is struggling thanks to injuries. Texas would have been a very tough matchup as a lead up, we just have to worry about Dangerfield, Thompson and co getting forward and leading into space. That's why I like Geary as a matchup on Dangerfield, he knows how to defend properly. (Side note, our tough, in and under back pocket who isn't blessed with amazing talent could have easily had 3 goals by my count last night, just goes to show how his opponent isn't the best at running both ways). If Geary's struggling I'd throw Armitage onto him because I think he can match him in terms of throwing himself at the hard ball.

Dal Santo can go to Thompson, then we just have to have faith that Steven, Armitage and others can break even with the rest. It's definitely a game I see being won in the centre of the ground.

I'd keep the changes like for like. Wright out for Saunders I guess? Shattered for Wright, he very quickly had cemented his spot in the side. Quick, confident, and already performed a couple of fantastic shut down jobs whilst setting up a few the other way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back