Preview Round 9: Richmond v Essendon Saturday 30 May 7:20pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dreamtime Game 2015

The AFL’s Indigenous Round, which celebrates the contribution that Indigenous footballers have made to the game as well as a broader theme of cultural acceptance and diversity in society, was built from the success of the first “Dreamtime at the ‘G” played in 2005.

image%201_zpsvivcnm0i.jpg

The 2005 incarnation had Richmond and Essendon playing on a Saturday night wearing their traditional jumpers with less than 50k supporters attending. One could have been forgiven in assuming the ‘Dreamtime at the ‘G’ slogan was merely the latest marketing sugar from the AFL, in a series of questionably titled themed rounds popular at the time. Fortunately, history says this particular theme had enough resonance with the AFL public to persist and grow and to now stand as a marquee game in the season fixture.

The Yiooken Award, for the best player a field, was added in 2006. In 2007, on the back of the success of Dreamtime, the AFL dedicated round 9 as ‘Indigenous Round’ with all matches of that weekend celebrating Indigenous contribution. Along the way, Richmond added aboriginal art inspired jumpers for the game - later matched by Essendon and more recently, by all teams. Pre match entertainment increased with the addition of explicit recognition of the traditional land-owners of the MCG site, didgeridoo playing, boomerang throwing, celebratory walks to the ground amongst others. The last four years have seen an average crowd of more than 80k fans attend the game. While the marketing departments rub their hands with glee, the message underpinning the theme of the game and round is actually powerful enough to drive cultural change. Truly fantastic!

big%20crowd_zpsbw8sjizw.jpg

Dreamtime Results

The 10 Dreamtime games have resulted in 4 wins to Richmond and 6 wins to Essendon. However, Essendon have won 5 of the last 6 games including the last 3 straight. The Yiooken award has been presented 5 times to Essendon players and 4 times to Richmond players. Brett Deledio is the only player to win the award (2012) in a losing side. No player has won the award multiple times. Dean Polo notably (or perhaps infamously) winning the award on debut in 2006.

image%202_zps8y0t0krj.jpg

One of the more controversial Dreamtime games was the 2007 edition where with less than 5 minutes remaining, Richmond had a 12 point lead. Essendon rallied to level the scores. With the ‘G at fever pitch, inspirational Richmond forward cum wingman Matthew Richardson marks, plays on and kicks a long range goal, the Tigers are in front, crowd delirious…..however, as if in stealth (at least to myself in the crowd, and Richo himself given the initial celebration), the umpire adjudicates a free for a push back at the scene of the contest. The Richmond crowd is firstly stunned, then shocked, then livid at the ensuing 50 meter penalty mirroring the mood of Richo himself. Essendon kick the last goal of the game to win by 8 points. That’s Richo, that’s the life of a Richmond fan, in the cold light of day, self deprecation became a coping strategy at the time.

Year, Winner, Score, Attendance, Yiooken
2005, Richmond, 14.8 (92) - 9.12 (66), 50k, N/A

2006, Richmond, 13.19 (97) - 13.17 (95), 58k, Dean Polo

2007, Essendon, 12.20 (92) - 12.12(84), 62k, James Hird*

2008, Richmond, 16.14 (110) - 10.12 (72), 60k, Nathan Foley

2009, Essendon, 19.11 (125) - 12.13 (85), 74k, Jason Winderlich

2010, Essendon, 19.16 (130) - 14.13 (95), 65k, David Hille

2011, Richmond, 16.9 (105) - 13.11 (89), 84k, Trent Cotchin

2012, Essendon*, 19.14 (128) - 15.19 (109), 81k, Brett Deledio

2013, Essendon, 13.13 (91) - 9.8 (62), 84k, Jobe Watson*

2014, Essendon, 15.14 (104) - 7.12 (54), 75k, Brendon Goddard

This Season
Both teams sit at 4 wins and 4 loses and a win would truly consolidate the season.
Richmond last 2 weeks have earned a temporary stay from supporter backlash with a win against Collingwood and a gritty win against Port. Prior to that testing supporters with a series of games where they entered as favourites however came up short, losses to sides considered at similar points in their evolution or soft wins to struggling teams.

Essendon, despite a round 2 win over Hawthorn, have disappointed fans but do sit 4 and 4 and in 9th position on the ladder

Players to Watch (Note drafted before start of R8)
Both sides have been roundly criticised in the media, and to an extent from their own coaches, with their inability to score. Repeated forward entries have resulted in a dearth of goals. As such, rather than the traditional model of the ‘battle being won in the mid-field’ this match-up analysis focuses on which forwards can generate scoring opportunities.

Jack Riewoldt
Dangerous around goals via reading the ball better than opponents in flight and generally through solid conversion. Jack would certainly be in Essendon’s game planning. Increasingly Richmond’s blueprint of having Jack have stints further away from goals is bearing fruit with Jack often a clever contributor to offensive chains rather the final link in them. Richmond are a better and less predictable side when this works.

Brett Deledio
Nightmare matchup for small/mid defenders as Deledio is capable of applying elite foot and hand skills with superior pace and marking strength. More subtly the forward move of Deledio has seen his core strength being used close to goal to create options even when being tackled and/or in the heaviest of traffic where other players may go to ground. Essendon will know good things happen for Richmond we he has the ball.

Dustin Martin
While playing more in the midfield this year, any opposition that doesn’t have a plan for Dustin Martin going forward is lacking in preparation. Has consistently shown he is capable of burst goals and needs to be watched. Most frequently in season 2014. Expect Richmond to try to isolate Dusty as an X-factor at some point.

Joe Daniher
Gangly forward that needs to be watched. Helcon Essendon pedigree creates more attention that it probably should. Richmond planning would probably look at Rance, perhaps Grimes and Elton may be given a go. Round 8 game would encourage Dons fans, however this was written before that happened so I’m going to call him meh.

Jake Carlisle
See Daniher, however at this stage of his career has more experience and probably requires more careful planning from Dimma and co. The same group defensive options would be in plans A and B, Chaplin will have a role as a big bodied spare. Plan C may be needed (I hope not) and may involve a wild card move such as Griffiths to combat Essendon’s height. Round 8 game would encourage Dons fans, however I’m going to say it was the Bears so nothing can be extrapolated from it.

Who Wins?
While this opinion is unashamedly biased, i’m hanging my hat on a more even spread of offensive targets on the Richmond forward line will be more productive than the more predictable (less spread) in the Essendon forward line per the match-up analysis above.

With Richmond’s win today and Bombers now 4 and 4 this game becomes huge. We can win this and be 5 and 4.

Richmond by 23 points;
Yiooken - Brett Deledio
Crowd - 76,391

Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Will be a big Tiger turn out after the last 2 weeks you'd think.
Out: Ty
In: will we go big or small?
I'd say McBean so Griff can give a bit more time to give Ivan a chop out. And he's a relatively mobile tall.

Tiger Claw

Club Legend
Nov 19, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Wow off with the old on with the new pretty quickly. I've hardly absorbed our last win. :)

This is another game like with Collingwood we need to tick off. Essendon just do it to us every time in this game.

Time to show otherwise.

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
Like this week and last week, I don't care how much Richmond beat them by. In fact, all I want is for Richmond to put in a competitive performance - even if it ends with a loss. If the effort is high and the basic skills are up though (hitting targets etc.), you will win more often than not, so let's hope Richmond show up to play next weekend

Tiger Claw

Club Legend
Nov 19, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
s**t, wrong thre
Will it sell out ?
Think it's become one of those games that the wanky non supporters of either side now want to frequent like the Anzac game.

On a side note. Went to get seats for the Rich/Freo game in July and I get virtually nothing available. Could get tickets for 25.00 for reserved front level 4. Then got when logging on again 45.00 for lesser seats level 4. Other seating unavailable.

Against Freo? Don't think so.

Ticketek has problems. now just a no go at all.

Bombers36

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2008
Keilor East
AFL Club
Essendon
Deludio, Maric & Martin worry me the most.

Deludio such a great ball user - a bit like Goddard maybe Goddard could run with him..??

Maric should beat Bellchambers who's been pretty ordinary this year though maybe we will bring in McKernan to give him some help

Martin always dangerous and not sure anyone can match up on him really...

I reckon Hurley/Hooker will be able to nullify Jack's impact on the game especially now with Vickery out.

We need Watson to lift whos been down - hopefully he can break even with Cotchin...

Should be a great game - I am unashamedly biased but think if our defense can hold your forwards we should be able to win this one.

Our team will be as strong as it has all year and finally our forward line seems to be working. Team should look something like;-

Fletch Hurley Baguley

Hibberd Hooker Gleeson

Stanton Watson Goddard

Cooney Ambrose Z.Merrett

Carlisle Daniher Chapman

TBell Heppell Howlett

Int: Colyer Dempsey Melksham
SUB: Fantasia

Last edited:

doddy87

Senior List
Apr 14, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
We play the pressure like tonight against port we will win simple...but you dont know what richmond will show up

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
Daniher will not get a sniff next week.

Tigs by 22.

Who will play on him you think? Will it be your best defender or will that person go to Carlisle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back