Preview Round 9 v St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Date - Sunday May 31
Time - 1:10pm AEST
Venue - Gabba

Preview by blynd_freddie

“History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul.” – Lord Acton

With no apologies, [Only the ones that should be: Sorry Day – Tuesday 26th May], I start my Round 9 Preview with a triangulation of memories and stats involving Fitzroy, St Kilda and the Junction Oval but fear not this weeks game and todays Brisbane Lions will… eventually become the symmedian point.

My earliest memories of attending a ‘big time’ game as a spectator was back in the mid 60’s - ‘history’ tells me it was the only game Fitzroy won in 1966, six points over Footscray. As my father walked me across a footbridge above the Nth Fitzroy rail yard to Brunswick Oval I began to hear something for the first time, the ROAR of a crowd and although it was watched by just under nine thousand people I think deep down it is this memory of the undulating sounds exploding into a moment ‘noise’ that has now become a central part to my addiction to what is watching ‘live’ football or more specifically watching OUR LIONS live, whether it be at the ‘G’, the Docklands, an annual passage to the Gabba and who knows, maybe sooner than we think, even some strange sojourn to Singapore. For me, 1966 was the beginning of what was to go on to become an ironic consistency for the Lions, nomadic change.

As you do when there is a dog turd on the footpath, I will cautiously step over the 3 seasons of what was home for the Lions thru ’67 to ’69 at Princes Park and reset the clock to 1970 – April 11th and Round 2 – The Lions first home game at the Junction Oval.

The Junction Oval

Officially called the St Kilda Cricket Ground, the Junction Oval was coined from its location on the corner of St Kilda Road and Fitzroy Street and was opened way back in 1852. The Junction Oval, now owned by Parks Victoria had been called home by St Kilda 1897-1941; 1944-1964, Sth Melbourne 1944-1946 and Fitzroy 1970-1984 – Currently Old Melburnians (VAFA) play home games there and it is worth noting that Fitzroy FC, being in the same division are again due to play there in round 18 – 29th August.

The early 70’s, Fitzroy and the Junction Oval were fun times for me – my father back then was the Treasurer of the Fitzroy U19’s and I had the privilege to be paid to operate the famous Junction Oval scoreboard at the U19 home games [in those days, if Fitzroy were playing St Kilda away, the Firsts and the ressies would play at one ground in this instance Moorabbin, while the U19’s would play at home at the Junction….

Matches @ the Junction
  • The very first VFL/AFL game was held there in 1897 – Round 2 between St Kilda and Fitzroy [FITZ 10:6:66 def STK 3:8:26]
  • The very last official VFL/AFL game to be played there was on September 1st 1984 – Round 22 again between Fitzroy and St Kilda and a win to the Lions [FITZ 24:20:164 def STK 15:17:107]
  • The last ROUND 9 game at the Junction Oval between the Lions and the Saints (see what I did there) was in 1979 and was yet another win to Fitzroy 18:15:123 to St Kilda 11:12:78

Into the time machine we go, destination 1979

UK Squeeze and Up the Junction

AFL-VFL-1979-Scanlens-Fitzroy.jpg

AFL-VFL-1979-Scanlens-St-Kilda.jpg

YzJGokn.png

^^ by legendary Melbourne photographer, the late Rennie Ellis.

VanfbBD.jpg

^^ view from The Kevin Murray stand... before it was [Rnd14 St Kilda vs Fitzroy -1957 - Peter Ralph photo]

nzK88rY.jpg

^^ stats Rnd9 1979 - with retro "Experience Watch"

Okay, enough of was then let’s get back to the now, 2015 and more specifically our round 9 clash at the Gabba against St Kilda.

The Junction Oval - CUP

Observations

Win/Loss
BNE – L – L – L – L – L – W – W - L - ?

STK – L - W – L – L – L – W – L – L - ?

Players used/stability
Both clubs have currently used 32 players so far this season the saints have played 4 debutants in Sinclair, Lonie, McKenzie and McCartin and the Lions 2, with Dawson last week joining Andrews as our 2015 debutants. As far as stability goes both teams have only had 13 players who have played all of this years games.

* It is worth comparing top of the table Fremantle have only used 29 players but more importantly to structures and the groups understanding of the game styles/plan, 18 Freo players have played all 8 games.

Confidence – quarters won –

STK have won 10 quarters this year, BNE – have only won 7 of 32 quarters this is still the least of all clubs this year. We actually won our first, first quarter for the year against the bombers but the Lions have still only won 1 first half [STK 3] but the good news is we have won 3 second halves and we have a 100% record for winning if in front at ¾ time. The saints from their two accounts of leading at ¾ time are a 50/50 chance of winning. [worth noting? CAR have only won one more quarter than us but have lost their last 10 quarters]

Time in possession and time front%
We are currently only in possession of the ball on an average just under 38% of the game [STK – are running at over 40%] They also allow their opponents less of the ball. It is worth noting that our games also are played with higher ‘ball in dispute’ number – this could be related to the Gabba being ‘regularly’ slippery/damp or dewy?

Changes/Match-ups from round 8

LIONS:
Possible INs: Maguire/Mayes[if fit], ZOB, Harwood

Possible OUTs: McStay, Aish, Golby

Would also dabble with a Gardiner/Maguire rotation between halfback and halfforward at different time of the game [should McStay not be named/injured]

StK – POV from post by stfan in thread
Beer, Thank-you!

#GOLIONS

* Just a couple of minor additions to the above.
  • I had left out the 'time infront%' to date for the season
BNE - ranked #18 at only 19%
STK - ranked #15 at almost double, 36%
  • the second omitted was may prediction...
A 6 points either way result but I'll go for the home team, it not then I only have 2 words...

'Beer' and 'Thank-you'

*sorry preview needed more 'youtube'. :$

Last edited:

Kevvo

Premium Platinum
Oct 17, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
* Just a couple of minor additions to the above.
  • I had left out the 'time infront%' to date for the season
BNE - ranked #8 at only 19%
STK - ranked #15 at almost double, 36%
  • the second omitted was may prediction...
A 6 points either way result but I'll go for the home team, it not then I only have 2 words...

'Beer' and 'Thank-you'

*sorry preview needed more 'youtube'. :$

A great preview surpassed only by a wise and tasteful decision to add Bill Callahan to proceedings.

Excellent work blynd_freddie .

A great preview surpassed only by a wise and tasteful decision to add Bill Callahan to proceedings.

Excellent work blynd_freddie .
Do I keep an eye out for you at Hamer Hall tonight? Should be a beauty!

And to keep this on the rails... I'm sure if Bill were to follow a footy team it would be the eagles Lions! ;)

LIONS08

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Mcstay confirmed to miss 1 - 2 weeks
Redden the same..
Hanley only 1 - 2 away also
It is going to be really interesting how we structure our forward line
Mayes is listed as 'test'
Might have to use himself and Dawson as lead up forwards and go in extremely small.
Either that or we promote Beasley, who by the sounds of things has been playing well in the two's, and move harris forward potentially. By reports i am not sure whether Hammer is up to it yet. It's going to be tough.

Cian Hanley (Knee) - Season
Jonathan Freeman (Ankle) - 6-8 weeks
Pearce Hanley (Hip) - 1-2 weeksTrent West (Knee) - 4 weeks
Jackson Paine (Ankle) - Season
Michael Close (Knee) - Season
Dan Merrett (Hamstring) - Indefinite
Jaden McGrath (Foot) - 8-10 weeks
Sam Mayes (Foot) - Test
Matt Maguire (Concussion) - Indefinite
Brent Staker (Hamstring) - 2-3 weeks
Luke McGuane (Knee) - Indefinite
Dan McStay (Finger) - 1-2 weeks
Jack Redden (Back) - 1-2 weeks

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Thinking outside the box here.

Could we upgrade Archie and play him in the ruck allowing Martin to play as a roaming CHF marking target and Leuey playing as a marking target deeper in the forward line?

Could we upgrade Archie and play him in the ruck allowing Martin to play as a roaming CHF marking target and Leuey playing as a marking target deeper in the forward line?

Thinking outside the box in any freddie thread gets you bonus points! :thumbsu:

Kevvo

Premium Platinum
Oct 17, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Do I keep an eye out for you at Hamer Hall tonight? Should be a beauty!

And to keep this on the rails... I'm sure if Bill were to follow a footy team it would be the eagles Lions! ;)

I wish. I passed on one of Bill's shows (as Smog) a couple of years ago, and now am cursed always to be interstate when he plays (in this case, he isn't playing a Brisbane show). Enjoy it: I reckon it'll be phenomenal.

Is he fit? I think he recently came off a 5-6 week knee. Not sure how serious though or if hes back to close to 100%.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Is he fit? I think he recently came off a 5-6 week knee. Not sure how serious though or if hes back to close to 100%.

You'd hope we'd be able to sub him late in the third and play with a smaller forward line after that.

Also either Leuey or Stef could take the ruck contests closer to goal and Archie would then sit spare a kick behind the play.

Kevvo

Premium Platinum
Oct 17, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Redden the same..
Might have to use himself and Dawson as lead up forwards and go in extremely small.
Either that or we promote Beasley, who by the sounds of things has been playing well in the two's, and move harris forward potentially. By reports i am not sure whether Hammer is up to it yet. It's going to be tough.

Sam Mayes (Foot) - Test

Far out. That is pretty stark isn't it.

The Beasley plan makes sense, but I think we'd be a little worried about the height differential. Bruce seems to be marking everything off the ground right now for them.

I think you're right that it'll be a short forward line if Mayes is fit.

Just a lazy 37 touches and 3 goals for Garry Wilson.

Well if he wasn't so lazy he could have had 7 goals.

I wish. I passed on one of Bill's shows (as Smog) a couple of years ago, and now am cursed always to be interstate when he plays (in this case, he isn't playing a Brisbane show). Enjoy it: I reckon it'll be phenomenal.
Seen him several times but the one I regret missing was in 2005 - rooftop of Curtin House with his then wife Joanna Newsom.

EurekaKid

All Australian
Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melb Storm, Red Sox
Redden the same..

Sam Mayes (Foot) - Test

Maybe it's just the pure volume of injuries we've had, but I can't recall a season where the estimations for players return to action have been so inaccurate and likely to be drawn out :thumbsdown:

Sep 9, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NE Patriots
Maybe it's just the pure volume of injuries we've had, but I can't recall a season where the estimations for players return to action have been so inaccurate and likely to be drawn out :thumbsdown:
Yep. Said as much in the injury thread not long ago. Our comms department has evolved significantly in recent times but the transparency on injuries has been nothing short of disgraceful.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

There were a few quads a while back that were 1-2 weeks for several months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back