Preview Round 9 (Yes....really!) Suns vs Hawks in Launceston Sat May 30

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm a bit iffy about Russell keeping his spot. I would have dropped Russell and kept Raines.

I saw that Keegan Brooksby was listed for this game. Good luck to him if he does indeed make his debut this weekend. I have followed him for years in the SANFL as he was a Panther player. I was slightly surprised he got drafted to be honest, and although I was a tad disappointed from a South Adelaide supporter's perspective, I was stoked for Keegan on a personal level. He seems like a quality guy and hopefully he can forge a career at the GCS.

Even though we are no chance this week, I like the ins and the team is starting to take some form.

Martin back is much needed. Good to see Brooksbry in. May is back to solidify that defence and Bozzo getting a game after 38 in the 2's.

Good to see Mal back in the 2's this week to get some run in the legs. Surprised Russell kept his spot to be honest, but happy to be proven wrong by Spooky.

This team is not horrible and I expect them to put up a good showing. I know we are still a little light on in the middle and back line but there is plenty of talent in this side

B: A. Saad, H. Schade, K. Kolodjashnij
HB: J. Harbrow, S. May, J. Lonergan
C: L. Russell, T. McKenzie, A. Sexton
HF: J. Martin, T. Lynch, H. Bennell
F: K. Brooksby, C. Dixon, T. Miller
R: T. Nicholls, M. Rischitelli, M. Hallahan
Inter: A. Boston, D. Stanley, B. Matera, S. Lemmens

Need the senior blokes to stand up and lead the way. McKenzie has a big opportunity in the mid, no reason why he couldn't turn into a hodge and be a bit of utility, just needs to grow in his leadership and mental toughness. He certainly has the size and has put a hit on before. Challenge is there and needs to continue to redeem his behaviour and get respect back.

All in all I just don't want us to get pushed around, most of these blokes are old enough to hold their own and exert a physical presence. I just don't want to appear to be bullied this weekend. Would not bother me if we can bait a Lewis, Hodge, Mitchell in an altercation and someone gets rubbed out. Just stand up and be physical please. :D

Hopefully Hallahan proves to the Hawks on the weekend why he's so highly regarded. Carn Hallas!
He was rated at the Hawks.

However they thought that Woodward who won the Liston Trophy last year had more upside.

Woody is killing them in the VFL yet still can't crack it for a game, good luck to Mitch but you are kidding yourself if you think he would be gettin a game if you had all your midfielders playing.

He was rated at the Hawks.

However they thought that Woodward who won the Liston Trophy last year had more upside.

Woody is killing them in the VFL yet still can't crack it for a game, good luck to Mitch but you are kidding yourself if you think he would be gettin a game if you had all your midfielders playing.
I agree to an extent, he is a 1 dimensional player it seems. Definitely provides depth, when the squad is fully fit in the midfield. Needs to take this opportunity to add more to his game and become a damaging mid, not just a tough extractor.

I agree to an extent, he is a 1 dimensional player it seems. Definitely provides depth, when the squad is fully fit in the midfield. Needs to take this opportunity to add more to his game and become a damaging mid, not just a tough extractor.
Woodward is a very similar player except he gets more of the ball but despite getting 30 possies a week at the BHH, he can't get a crack.

Mitch would not have got a game at the Hawks so I think it was a good move by him and a good thing by the Hawks that they cut him loose to seek opportunities.

I like the ins. No Shaw is interesting again in a depleted midfield. I much prefer Russell over him at the moment. He at least wins some contested ball but if he hasn't improved his kicking he'll be back with Shaw quickly. Hawthorn will dominate the midfield and I hope it doesn't get too ugly.

With Brookers and Boston picked, we are up to 39 players used this season.
In Round 9.
From a total available pool of 43, the 38 on the initial list + 5 rookie upgrades so far (Saad, Broughts, Glenn, Raines, Brookers).

The 4 missing are Jaeger who will not play, Sumner who has gone, and Josh Hall who is going. And finally 2MP who will likely get games in the back half of the year.

Anyway, we are leading the comp in something other than clangers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eade loves Jesse , he wont get dropped anytime soon . Shaw does'nt play Tassie to well , loves the dry hard conditions .
Really cant see why. !!!! Shocking skills and does not make sensible decisions when has the ball. In any other team would be back in the Reserves after his stuff ups down back last week I blame him for the lack of accountability just before half time when Collingwood kicked two quick goals on us and that was the start of the rot.
But then again I do not like Ede. He also makes some questionable decisions.
Not sure McKenzie will play in the mid if so that is exactly what I mean. McKenzie is a one trick pony and is very lazy and does not man up.
I am totally frustrated with the selection of players this year. I would play Broughts and Raines we need their size and experience.
Trouble with GCS they think they can win with young boys but now history is showing them that is not so.
I urge them to stop with their experiment it is not working before you lose more and more supporters.

Take a look at GWS they have bigger bodies and more experienced players helping out the young ones. We have far too many soft front running outside players and not many big bodied men to help out. Obviously the recruiters need a fair kick up the behind so many knee injuries because these young bodies they pick are not up to being flogged week in and week out.
Sorry

Really cant see why. !!!! Shocking skills and does not make sensible decisions when has the ball. In any other team would be back in the Reserves after his stuff ups down back last week
I said the same thing and got shot down. Lonergan simply isn't a good footballer. Would much rather have Broughton in the backline.

I said the same thing and got shot down. Lonergan simply isn't a good footballer. Would much rather have Broughton in the backline.

Ill agree.. But the kids had a shocking run with injuries..
He is a nice size.. Hopefully he stays injury free this year and proves us all wrong

Jesse could be developed into a good shut down player for us if we can build up his fitness base. Broughton I would have in the team, but I'm happy to have Raines out. He shanks the ball every time he gets it, I just don't think playing him offers enough to the team. My personal opinion of course.

We will get killed by those hairy mid-fats again
Hodge
Lewis
Burgoyne
Mitchell
Hill
Rioli
Breust

It's not going to be pretty unfortunately
Some of the one on ones we match up with okay, but that engine room listed above vs ours is like a D12 vs a Great Wall 4 cylinder sewing machine engine
You put Ablett Jaeger Swallow Prestia back in the guts and it changes everything
It's not the worst team we've ever put on the park by a longshot, but it lacks on-field leadership and a level of class and belief just at the moment
The next 3 matches will tell us a lot about where we are at the moment
Hawthorn are physical bullies and they get away with it...all power to them...and against our skinny kids I might have to look away at times
Getting murdered on the turnovers with Hawthorns 2 way running strength will be difficult to watch
Hoping Harley ,Jack and Dicko can get amongst it and Tom Lynch starts working into some form
I'll be happy with the effort I saw last Saturday...and it might just be wishful thinking, but that's the difference I think I'm seeing this year...more even effort over 4 quarters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back