Round analysis

Remove this Banner Ad

Wonder if the coach is footing the bill out of rumoured windfall he signed for.
Robertson would have played for nothing had he gotten a permit as he plays with Amateur side Monash Gryphons and as such would not be able to take payment. He was going to do it as a favour to his mate Ward.
Who won the match and how did Fevola go?
Cracker game, close all day. Plenty of spirit shown by both sides and it got a bit willing at times. Fev kicked 6 and Monbulk won by 5 points in front of huge crowd. He also managed to get sent off for the last 15 minutes and then spent an hour after the game signing autographs and doing photos. A big win for local footy.

Couple of Upwey blokes one in particular will be getting a holiday after yesterdays game. What was the umpire thinking sending Fev off for nothing more than a tackle that slipped high.

Spoke to a few friends that went to yesterdays game at Monbulk who said it was a great game, I watched a some of it on Valley Vision and i thought there wasn't much in the Fev send off. From what i hear though there could be a couple of players from both teams sighted. anyone care to share there thoughts on this.

Hard to believe Upwey can beat Emerald by 20+ goals 6 days ago then get beaten by Monbulk yesterday. Very even comp and shows any team can win on there day just like last year.

Tips for the rest of the round

Emerald v Wandin = Wandin
Gembrook v Warburton = Gembrook
Mount Ev v Woori = Mount Ev
Olinda v Belgrave = Belgrave

Any one else want to have a go

Couple of Upwey blokes one in particular will be getting a holiday after yesterdays game. What was the umpire thinking sending Fev off for nothing more than a tackle that slipped high.
Were there reports? Or another stir up, Finger?
The most willing game I've seen between these two, although nothing more than high spirits, I would say.
Both sides showed the flag, etc, but I'm over the Anzac metaphors for a while. And good vibes in the Log Cabin after the game between all the players and both Presidents.
I can't believe the atmosphere and crowd. Surpassed the last GF we hosted here in the 90's in size and energy.
There will be few who ever forget the day - specially the U16 kids at the ground.

It should leave an indelible and positive impression of local footy.

Were there reports? Or another stir up, Finger?
The most willing game I've seen between these two, although nothing more than high spirits, I would say.
Both sides showed the flag, etc, but I'm over the Anzac metaphors for a while. And good vibes in the Log Cabin after the game between all the players and both Presidents.
I can't believe the atmosphere and crowd. Surpassed the last GF we hosted here in the 90's in size and energy.
There will be few who ever forget the day - specially the U16 kids at the ground.

It should leave an indelible and positive impression of local footy.

Not sure but if the shoe was on the other foot an investigation would be requested and the video presented. Wont get any more blatant than what ocured.

Not sure what the protocol is but was at the game yesterday and witnessed a pretty low act which caused a big brawl. Was seen by plenty and talked about on triple m on my drive home tonight. If the league had any balls and cared about its reputation it would act swiftly and deal with it strongly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure what the protocol is but was at the game yesterday and witnessed a pretty low act which caused a big brawl. Was seen by plenty and talked about on triple m on my drive home tonight. If the league had any balls and cared about its reputation it would act swiftly and deal with it strongly.
The League can't do anything until a formal report is made by umpires, or wait for a club or individual to request an investigation.

Ok then. As the player was from Upwey it never happened. Probably what was said to Marshy last week.
Only two people were present to hear exactly what was said. And you weren't one of them!
I saw and heard as much of the incident as you did, Finger.
However, I followed up on the Warby incident from a number of other sources: Upwey, umpires and former Valley umpires. You got your info from one source, and I got mine from a range of others.
The man you are trying to smear has an impeccable record - that comes from a YVMDFL umpire and a former valley ump and a number of other people within the League. Oddly, not ONE bad word about him. Even more, ALL were praising of him! I have also known him for over 30 years and have the greatest of respect.
So it just doesn't add up. Your impressions of the events takes a hit from ALL of my sources.
Who were your sources?

The incident was handled internally; by the Umpires themselves - not the League. The so-called offensive 'abuse' was established to be no more than an anguished query. No language, colourful phrases or personal attacks. Just a query. This was virtually admitted by the umpire during investigations.
Simply, Marshy over-reacted. He just snapped at the wrong time. Pity. He is a good umpire- if occasionally volatile.
He'll get over it. So will the President, and so will the rest of us.
Although I am less confident that you will.

If anything, it underlines the pressure that umpires are under, and we all need to give them some room.

That includes not manipulating their circumstance so that others can push a personal agenda. :rolleyes:

Robertson would have played for nothing had he gotten a permit as he plays with Amateur side Monash Gryphons and as such would not be able to take payment. He was going to do it as a favour to his mate Ward.

Cracker game, close all day. Plenty of spirit shown by both sides and it got a bit willing at times. Fev kicked 6 and Monbulk won by 5 points in front of huge crowd. He also managed to get sent off for the last 15 minutes and then spent an hour after the game signing autographs and doing photos. A big win for local footy.

I notice that Fevola has now returned to that place from whence he came. Is this then to be the norm for our League; an important match for a club approaches so they grab hold of a passing gun-for-hire, pay him a bucket load of money and then, at the end of the match, watch him ride off into the sunset to return no more. Far from this practice being good for our League, in my view it merely demeans us. It seems to me that Monbulk has sold its soul.

I went along with a couple of mates and i just watched the replays today. awsome crowd and gutsy win by moanbulk. didnt see anything worth reporting. fev copped a ball in the face and a tap to the gob right near us but got a free. all ok, i reckon. a few stouches, but huff and puff mostly. umps did pretty well to keep to the game going.
yeh, the send offs were hard to pick tho. fevs got a case for being crapped off.
btw, top idea having the u16s. missed most of it, but should be more. moanbulks dunnies are a disgrace but great food. best i can remeber the ground. firm, grass and even. new drains, mh?

I notice that Fevola has now returned to that place from whence he came. Is this then to be the norm for our League; an important match for a club approaches so they grab hold of a passing gun-for-hire, pay him a bucket load of money and then, at the end of the match, watch him ride off into the sunset to return no more. Far from this practice being good for our League, in my view it merely demeans us. It seems to me that Monbulk has sold its soul.
wtf? selling there soul? it isn't a revival meeting. its local footy.
great stunt and payed off for the league, crowd and both clubs. awsome atmosphere. stop sooking cos you lost tiges. suck it up and let others have a go. dermie got a run at woori once and moanbulk didnt winge. too busy banking the cash i reckon.

great stunt and payed off for the league, crowd and both clubs. awsome atmosphere. stop sooking cos you lost tiges. suck it up and let others have a go. dermie got a run at woori once and moanbulk didnt winge. too busy banking the cash i reckon.
I cant see where anyone from Upwey is sooking Great Day Great Game

I cant see where anyone from Upwey is sooking Great Day Great Game
Thanks U.F.
I think most people feel the same. There were a few Upwey supporters who felt differently and that is expected. They are proud, passionate and maybe felt ambushed. The idea wasn't spawned as a subversive plan to beat Upwey though, but more to promote our club, the Anzac notion and (particularly) to help our balance sheet. We struggle - as do other clubs. Many visitors saw it as an 'event': a great opportunity that came to fruition and gave the local competition an injection of interest. By turning up in droves, they proved it to be the right thing to do. I have never seen anything like it at Moores Rd.
In spite of my own initial doubts, it turned out to be an absolute masterstroke, although I admit it may have limited legs in the long run.
The support from Upwey before, during and after the game is just what we have come to expect. Thanks for that and, in particular, the generous support of a former local player who needed our help. All very much appreciated from a great club.

BTW Taj, the lack of toilets has been an ongoing issue for some decades for the rec Reserve Committee and Council. It is a real problem that we hope to improve with our Master Plan and access to the school's new sewerage plant.
Nan and the volunteers do an amazing job in an antiquated canteen. I'll let her know.
And the drainage was recently installed by Council as part of the resurfacing program - so, together with the new water system, we should have a more reliable quality surface from now on. Thanks again to the Shire.

Just to set the record straight I am neither a sook nor an Upwey person, rather I am a great lover of local football and I am concerned about the continued existence of our game in the way that we have come to love it so much. Naturally, alternate views to my own are not only welcome but may even be correct but surely there is no need for gratuitous insults to express them. We can all, I am sure, recall many actions taken that seemed like a good idea at the time but turned out to be tomorrow’s nightmare and that is my concern with regard to the actions taken on Anzac Day, not who won the match. As Hosea wisely put it, “They that sow the wind shall reap the whirlwind”.

Just to set the record straight I am neither a sook nor an Upwey person, rather I am a great lover of local football and I am concerned about the continued existence of our game in the way that we have come to love it so much. Naturally, alternate views to my own are not only welcome but may even be correct but surely there is no need for gratuitous insults to express them. We can all, I am sure, recall many actions taken that seemed like a good idea at the time but turned out to be tomorrow’s nightmare and that is my concern with regard to the actions taken on Anzac Day, not who won the match. As Hosea wisely put it, “They that sow the wind shall reap the whirlwind”.

Take no offence there are some on here that couldn't see anything wrong with what Silvan where doing.

D'ya hafta shout!! :thumbsdown:
what insult? if you arent a tige then you have no reason to be insulted. you must be a tiger.
then its like you saying 'monbulk selling its soul' is really a compliment? Get over it. anyway, i never said you were a sook. sooking and being a sook are different. don't see any hawks carrying on at your gratuitous slur on their club.
i garantee that there would have been a lot less comment from upwey if upwey had won. i garantee you arent the only footy lover in the hills either.
and so what? get off the high horse and enjoy the footy instead of sitting in the past. 2000 years or more in the past if the patronising hosea quote is any guide.
btw, why so coy about being from upwey? no need to lie about it. all your posts are about upwey and its no shame to follow a local footy club. upwey is as good as any club to follow. get on board.

Interesting set of results regardless of fev playing. Looking at the video, it did not seem to upset the balance, nor make it all about him. It looks like monbulk came ready to play!

Belgrave up and about with some close wins. Momentum with them. Also mount Evelyn on the march, good to see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back