Round ball code talk

Remove this Banner Ad

How does the next stage work Rising Power?

According to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(AFC)

First round (completed): A total of 12 teams (teams ranked 35–46) will play home-and-away over two legs. The six winners will advance to the second round.
Second round (just announced): A total of 40 teams (teams ranked 1–34 and six first round winners) will be divided into eight groups of five teams to play home-and-away round-robin matches. The eight group winners and the four best group runners-up will advance to the third round of FIFA World Cup qualification as well as qualify for the 2019 AFC Asian Cup finals.
Third round: The 12 teams (an increase from 10 for 2014) which advance from the second round will be divided into two groups of six teams to play home-and-away round-robin matches. Assuming the same number of slots allocated to the AFC as the previous World Cup (4.5 berths), the top two teams of each group will qualify for the 2018 FIFA World Cup, and the two third-placed teams will advance to the fourth round.
Fourth round (if required, dependent upon the allocation of places to the AFC at the 2018 FIFA World Cup): The two third-placed teams of each group from the third round will play home-and-away over two legs. The winner will advance to the inter-confederation play-offs.

Really mad with our club, especially Boogaard for getting sent off.

Given the top two hopes are gone, I reckon we should deliberately 'tank' the last game so that we finish 4th & avoid Brisbane, but it'll only delay the inevitable...

The World Game is on SBS between 1 and 2pm - I assume that time in all time zones. First week of it and no bloody advertising but better than being buried on SBS 2 at 9pm on Sunday night.

Bit like the old days of On The Ball with Les and Johnny which IIRC correctly started at 11 or 11.30am but definitely no later than 12. My Sunday mornings for most of the 1990s and early 2000s was Sunday on 9, Sportsworld with Bruce on 7 and On The Ball on SBS.

I am!

I posted in the get a get thread, I probably should have posted here.

Absolutely brilliant game from my boys. We started well, got a bit shaky at the back after Baker got injured and conceded, but from that point we controlled the game until about the 70 minute mark and created some really good chances. We tired late, and Liverpool threw everything at us, but overall a deserved victory.

We're just a completely different team to the one that played under Lambert. Dynamic, dangerous, intelligent in the way we set up. Sherwood had his detractors when we took him on, but he's totally turned this team around. Now we just have to pick up a couple of wins to keep relegation at bay, and look forward to May 30th.

I have asked new Port Adelaide FC International member diegodcg to tell us a bit about Brazilian Football. He is a Flamingo fan and plays its home games at the world famous Maracana. There was a great 13 part documentary series called History of Football - The Beautiful Game. It was shown in late 2002 / early 2003 in Oz on both SBS and Fox Sports. Below is are parts 5 Brazil and parts 6 The South American super powers. These appear to be slightly different to the ones I saw and there is no subtitles. Diego's team are the red and black team you see from about 1:10 into the first video.

There was a great line about Brazilian football by an old commentator who broadcast the 1950 world cup and was still alive when they filmed this, that I thought was in part 5 at least the version I saw. He said God is a very even handed man. On one hand he gave Brazil the greatest footballers in the world. On the other hand to balance things out he gave Brazil the worst administrators in the world.

And the Dark side of the game

Last edited:
I have asked new Port Adelaide FC International member diegodcg to tell us a bit about Brazilian Football. He is a Flamingo fan and plays its home games at the world famous Maracana. There was a great 13 part documentary series called History of Football - The Beautiful Game. It was shown in late 2012 / early 2013 in Oz on both SBS and Fox Sports. Below is are parts 5 Brazil and parts 6 The South American super powers. These appear to be slightly different to the ones I saw and there is no subtitles. Diego's team are the red and black team you see from about 1:10 into the first video.

There was a great line about Brazilian football by an old commentator who broadcast the 1950 world cup and was still alive when they filmed this, that I thought was in part 5 at least the version I saw. He said God is a very even handed man. On one hand he gave Brazil the greatest footballers in the world. On the other hand to balance things out he gave Brazil the worst administrators in the world.

And the Dark side of the game

Thanks for all the videos, I'll watch them when I have the time.

Anything round ball related, please feel free to ask me - I'd love to give back a bit to the forum, as I keep asking multiple questions per day about aussie footy.

As REH has said, I'm a fanatic Flamengo fan. I live just about 10 minutes from the Maracanã stadium, once upon a time the biggest football stadium in the world (now with a much reduced capacity and new inside design thanks to the World Cup). We've got the biggest fan base in the country, with an estimated number of fans around 40 million. There are other massive clubs in the country - Corinthians, São Paulo, Vasco da Gama to name a few - but none is as "national" as Flamengo. 50% of Rio de Janeiro city (2nd biggest city in the country, 10M+ people) supports Flamengo but you'll also be able to find Flamengo fans in every state you go, particularly in those without major local clubs, such as is the case in many states of the North and Northeast regions, as Brazil's biggest football clubs are heavily concentrated in the richer Southeast and South regions.

Similarly to Aussie footy, there were no well established national competitions until 1971 in Brazil. Being the huge country that it is, competition was mostly state based, although some interstate (such as the old Rio-São Paulo championship) and even national (such as the Taça Brasil) competitions existed prior to that point. Recently some of those competitions (like the Taça Brasil and Taça Roberto Gomes Pedrosa) were officially recognised as Brazilian titles (on a par with our current league), but I find that very anachronic. I don't think you need to change history in order to give proper importance to trophies won in times gone by.

With the "unification" of titles, Santos and Palmeiras (both from São Paulo state) are now historical leaders with 8 titles each, but you get bizarre stuff such as a team winning the national title twice in the same year, because Palmeiras once won the Taça Brasil and the Taça Roberto Gomes Pedrosa in the same year. The Taça Brasil was a much smaller competition - in some years, the current champions would jump straight into the semifinals - so to put that on a par with the championships that came after seems a bit silly to me. It's a decision influenced by politics though, just like everything else in Brazilian football.

Moreover, although a Brazilian championship was finally created in 1971, its format kept changing almost every year. Most of the time it involved some sort of playoffs. Only in 2003 have we adopted a league format similar to those that have been in place in Europe since the 19th century - that is, just a regular season, you play every team twice, no playoffs. However, a lot of people - me included - are still in favour of a return to a playoff format, as long as it is not changed every year of course because clubs need stability to plan for the season accordingly.

Flamengo have won the national title 6 times. We're also record winners of the Rio de Janeiro state championship (Campeonato Carioca) with 33 titles. The Carioca used be a major, major title in the past but these days it's becoming increasingly unimportant; the level of the games has been underwhelming to say the least and attendances are quite low. I'm in favour of keeping the state competitions but I believe they should be rationalized - less teams and a more profitable format for all involved. As it currently stands, big clubs like Flamengo have to play small semi-professional sides for 3 months before getting into a playoff which in the end always the same big 4 sides (Flamengo, Vasco, Fluminense, Botafogo) qualify for. The last time a team outside the big 4 won the Carioca was in the 60s if I'm not mistaken.

Well, I'm just rambling about random stuff I don't even know if anyone is interested so I'll stop for now. Later when I'm at home I'll post some videos from inside the stadium which I think some might appreciate.

Nothing beats a full packed Maracanã in a big game.

That was the happiest day of my life, when Flamengo won the Brazilian league for the 6th time in 2009 (the previous one had been in 1992). I was there after paying an extortionate price for a ticket from a tout:

This one is a good video to have an inside the stadium sort of feeling. It was in the final 5 minutes of the 2013 Brazilian Cup Final which we won. We were winning by 1-0 and everyone was very tense, but in the final minutes we scored a 2nd goal which pretty much sealed the win. I was there too. This is in a part of the stadium far from the "organizadas", which is where the loudest fans are, so not as fun as it can be:

After a big win, that's how leaving the stadium feels:

Some videos from the past. This is when Flamengo were crowned world champions, spanking Liverpool FC in Japan:

And this is possibly the most memorable and celebrated Flamengo goal ever. We needed that 3rd goal to seal a 3rd title in a row against our fierce rivals Vasco. It came in the form of a perfect free kick in the final minutes. Petkovic - what a legend. Listen to this commentary in order to have an idea of how much it meant.

diegodcg thanks for clarifying some stuff about the set up of Brazilian football. I knew it was a state league based system until 1971 but was confused how post 1971 some of the championship winners won their title. It now makes more sense. To understand Australian soccer/football you need to understand the Johnny Warren story. Johnny was the first captain when the national team got their nick name the Socceroos in the late 1960's. He was unususal as he was an Australian born young player of Australian parents who dominated the game, when the post world war immigrants from England and Europe were the dominate players in Australia. He tore his cruciate ligament after helping Australia qualify for the World Cup for the first time in 1973 for the 1974 World Cup and had to have a full knee reconstruction. He was the first sports person in Australia to make a comeback from a knee reconstruction operation. He went to the World Cup, the captaincy was taken away from him as he was a shadow of the player before the operation and only played in 1 game. He played another season in Australia and retired. The National Soccer League wasn't formed until 1977. As Australia failed to make the 1978 World Cup Johnny joined the new TV station SBS which was started by the government in the late 1970's starting in Sydney and Melbourne before going nationwide after 5 years or for Australia multicultural citizenship and started broadcasting films and programs in many languages.

Johnny started a program called Captain Socceroo and as soccer was the world game and SBS's slogan was bringing the world back home it was a perfect fit. SBS = Special Broadcasting Service but over the years it has been know as Soccer Bloody Soccer, Sex Broadcasting Station or Stick Broadcasting Station, as soccer and erotic R rated films from around the world were shown on it. I have watched many great films from Brazil on this station including the life stories of Garrincha and the life story of Lula and City of God.

Johnny had been inspired by the Anglo and European game but in 1981 he went to Brazil with his nephew to check out the soccer there and then other countries in Latin America. He fell in love with the country and its people immediately. He died in 2004 but between 1981 and 2003 when he was diagnosed with lung cancer he made at least 1 trip to Brazil every year and had been to Latin America over 40 times in those 22 years. He was made an honorary citizen of Brazil in the late 1990's as you can see in the documentary video below at about the 30 minute mark. He married a Uruguyan and then the last 6 years of his life he had a defact Brazilian wife about 18 years his junior. He only was 61 when he died but he lived 2 lives in that time especially once he had been to Brazil. He is a Sydney boy - got himself an economics degree and when he died he was the first sports person in New South Wales to get a state funeral

He had a property 90 minutes drive south of Sydney and called it Maracana. his email address started zico10, he had 2 Angora goats and called one Zico and the other Diego after Maradona. At his 50th birthday party the then Brazilian Ambassador Marcos Cortes, Brazil's longest ever serving ambassador to Australia told the story that on one long visit to Australia where Pele spent a lot of time with the local Brazilian communities in Sydney and Melbourne he said to Marcos, you know Johnny does a better job of promoting Brazil than you do.

Johnny for years wanted to write a book but nobody would publish that book because he refused to change the title. he called it Shielas, Wogs, NTTAWWTters, because when he played that's what soccer players were called and at school he was called Wog Warren. Shiela is Australian slang for a woman, Wogs refers to darker skinned southern Europeans, Arabs and north African and NTTAWWTters is slang for gays. in his book he writes the following about Flamengo on hos first visit;

One of the first places William (his football professor guide) decided to show us was on of Rio's biggest football clubs, Club Regattas Flamngo. Most of the clubs in Rio are known as Club Regattas because they started as rowing clubs. Flamengo is quite unique because it is considered to be the club of all the people of Rio. Their opponents say the only time it is safe to go to Rio is when Flamengo is playing because all the city's crooks are at the match! Having been to matches in Rio several times I can certainly vouch for the fanaticism of the Flamengo supporters........ he then talks about all the club facilities and finishes off with .... There is simply nothing like it in the Australian soccer world.

After that first visit to Brazil Johnny like the Jesuits in South America had a mission to convert all the people to Catholicism, Johnny made it his mission in life to convert Australians to accept soccer as a game for all Australians not the immigrants, and from what he saw to develop the game and the national team to play in the manner that reflected the culture of the country, like he saw in Brazil, from the kids on the beach to the kids in the favelas.

Johnny used his time on SBS to drive his mission and after years of bad administrators time and again stuffing up the game and Australia failing to qualify for so many World Cups he got the Australia government and one of Australia's richest man to restructure the game into what is now the A League which started in 2005 a month before we qualified for the 2006 world cup but unfortunately he died 12 months before that. He has said his lasting legacy when Australia makes the World Cup and wins it is - I Told You so.

In about 2002 when he was trying to restructure the game with the help of the government he said the following about the previous 25 years of the game in Australia -

The era is one of disinterest, punctuated by periodic bouts of intense pain, gutless blame apportionment, confusion, pathetic inaction, anger and staggering denial.

This second video only makes sense if you watch all of the first one

Last edited:
diegodcg thanks for clarifying some stuff about the set up of Brazilian football. I knew it was a state league based system until 1971 but was confused how post 1971 some of the championship winners won their title. It now makes more sense. To understand Australian soccer/football you need to understand the Johnny Warren story. Johnny was the first captain when the national team got their nick name the Socceroos in the late 1960's. He was unususal as he was an Australian born young player of Australian parents who dominated the game, when the post world war immigrants from England and Europe were the dominate players in Australia. He tore his cruciate ligament after helping Australia qualify for the World Cup for the first time in 1973 for the 1974 World Cup and had to have a full knee reconstruction. He was the first sports person in Australia to make a comeback from a knee reconstruction operation. He went to the World Cup, the captaincy was taken away from him as he was a shadow of the player before the operation and only played in 1 game. He played another season in Australia and retired. The National Soccer League wasn't formed until 1977. As Australia failed to make the 1978 World Cup Johnny joined the new TV station SBS which was started by the government in the late 1970's starting in Sydney and Melbourne before going nationwide after 5 years or for Australia multicultural citizenship and started broadcasting films and programs in many languages.

Johnny started a program called Captain Socceroo and as soccer was the world game and SBS's slogan was bringing the world back home it was a perfect fit. SBS = Special Broadcasting Service but over the years it has been know as Soccer Bloody Soccer, Sex Broadcasting Station or Stick Broadcasting Station, as soccer and erotic R rated films from around the world were shown on it. I have watched many great films from Brazil on this station including the life stories of Garrincha and the life story of Lula and City of God.

Johnny had been inspired by the Anglo and European game but in 1981 he went to Brazil with his nephew to check out the soccer there and then other countries in Latin America. He fell in love with the country and its people immediately. He died in 2004 but between 1981 and 2003 when he was diagnosed with lung cancer he made at least 1 trip to Brazil every year and had been to Latin America over 40 times in those 22 years. He was made an honorary citizen of Brazil in the late 1990's as you can see in the documentary video below at about the 30 minute mark. He married a Uruguyan and then the last 6 years of his life he had a defact Brazilian wife about 18 years his junior. He only was 61 when he died but he lived 2 lives in that time especially once he had been to Brazil. He is a Sydney boy - got himself an economics degree and when he died he was the first sports person in New South Wales to get a state funeral

He had a property 90 minutes drive south of Sydney and called it Maracana. his email address started zico10, he had 2 Angora goats and called one Zico and the other Diego after Maradona. At his 50th birthday party the then Brazilian Ambassador Marcos Cortes, Brazil's longest ever serving ambassador to Australia told the story that on one long visit to Australia where Pele spent a lot of time with the local Brazilian communities in Sydney and Melbourne he said to Marcos, you know Johnny does a better job of promoting Brazil than you do.

Johnny for years wanted to write a book but nobody would publish that book because he refused to change the title. he called it Shielas, Wogs, NTTAWWTters, because when he played that's what soccer players were called and at school he was called Wog Warren. Shiela is Australian slang for a woman, Wogs refers to darker skinned southern Europeans, Arabs and north African and NTTAWWTters is slang for gays. in his book he writes the following about Flamengo on hos first visit;

One of the first places William (his football professor guide) decided to show us was on of Rio's biggest football clubs, Club Regattas Flamngo. Most of the clubs in Rio are known as Club Regattas because they started as rowing clubs. Flamengo is quite unique because it is considered to be the club of all the people of Rio. Their opponents say the only time it is safe to go to Rio is when Flamengo is playing because all the city's crooks are at the match! Having been to matches in Rio several times I can certainly vouch for the fanaticism of the Flamengo supporters........ he then talks about all the club facilities and finishes off with .... There is simply nothing like it in the Australian soccer world.

After that first visit to Brazil Johnny like the Jesuits in South America had a mission to convert all the people to Catholicism, Johnny made it his mission in life to convert Australians to accept soccer as a game for all Australians not the immigrants, and from what he saw to develop the game and the national team to play in the manner that reflected the culture of the country, like he saw in Brazil, from the kids on the beach to the kids in the favelas.

Johnny used his time on SBS to drive his mission and after years of bad administrators time and again stuffing up the game and Australia failing to qualify for so many World Cups he got the Australia government and one of Australia's richest man to restructure the game into what is now the A League which started in 2005 a month before we qualified for the 2006 world cup but unfortunately he died 12 months before that. He has said his lasting legacy when Australia makes the World Cup and wins it is - I Told You so.

In about 2002 when he was trying to restructure the game with the help of the government he said the following about the previous 25 years of the game in Australia -

The era is one of disinterest, punctuated by periodic bouts of intense pain, gutless blame apportionment, confusion, pathetic inaction, anger and staggering denial.

This second video only makes sense if you atch all of the first one

That's a fantastic story about what seems to be an extremely interesting character. And honestly, I knew nothing about it!

Coming to Brazil in the 70s and 80s you would see a league that was on a par with any other in the world in terms of quality. Yes, some players left the country such as Zico, Falcao, Junior and others who went to Italy, but there were far more restrictions to foreigners in European leagues so we still retained most of the talent.

Zico is the best Flamengo player of all time and since Johnny Warren came to Rio in the 80s it's easy to understand why he seems to love the man. Flamengo dominated with 4 national titles in the 80s, plus a Libertadores and a World championship. We call him our King. Flamengo fans often say "merry christmas" to each other on the day of his birthday - the birth of our saviour!

The man was absolutely incredible. I'm too young to have watched him in his prime but I've got plenty of videos from the past.

Sadly we'll be playing our 'Hindmarsh bogey' Brisbane in week one of the A-League finals. :(

We should try & request to the (E)FFA to have our final either played at either Adelaide Oval or Suncorp stadium (we seem to win at the latter a lot)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide Oval it is. 7pm kick-off this Friday night. I know a lot of friends who are outraged about the (E)FFA's decision to not have our home final at Hindmarsh...
What does the E stand for? There is no cricket pitch so I assume there wont be complaints the pitch is too quick. What is cut shorter the grass on a footy field or that on a soccer field?

What does the E stand for? There is no cricket pitch so I assume there wont be complaints the pitch is too quick. What is cut shorter the grass on a footy field or that on a soccer field?

I'm guessing it has something to do with the perceived Eastern State bias, but really, shouldn't it be the FFEA then?

So the A-League is entering its final stages? I just remembered that a few years ago I stood up all night to watch a A-League Grand Final (if I'm not mistaken), all I remember is that the Newcastle Jets were involved and they had an Asian player... Korean, I think. I had never watched an A-League game before nor have I ever watched another one again, I was just curious - I'm that sort of football addict idiot.

By the way, I always heard that the left back Cassio had a great career in Australia - is that so? He started his career at my club Flamengo. I think he has just retired.

Yes Cassio had a great career at Adelaide United but had a falling out with the coach this season and left just before christmas 2014. He didnt get picked for 3 or 4 weeks in a row - didnt turn up to watch Adelaide United play their last game before Christmas last year - the coach said he was being disrespectful and he walked out on the club. He first played in the 2007-08 season. He now is involved in a football academy in Adelaide I think he is the head coach, and he is head coach of the first XI at one of Adelaide's biggest private schools.

I think he is 35 years old. He was on SBS's main nightly preview program at their world cup studio set up on Copacabano beach and told us about his career and Brazilian football as well as his thoughts on the world cup in general and analysis of games played on thoughts on up coming games.

Cassio was a decent player for our standards, not everyone liked him but personally I thought he was a decent option at left back. I guess for A-League level he might have been a very good player. And he played for Adelaide? I did not remember that, nice coincidence.

He's widely remembered for two penalty kicks he took for Flamengo.

One was bizarre, but successful - watch it yourself (starts around 45 seconds of the video):

The other unsuccessful - against San Lorenzo from Argentina in the Copa Mercosul final. That game was heartbreaking. It's somewhere in that video:

I don't want to look at it myself and bring back sad memories :D

Cassio was a decent player for our standards, not everyone liked him but personally I thought he was a decent option at left back. I guess for A-League level he might have been a very good player. And he played for Adelaide? I did not remember that, nice coincidence.

He's widely remembered for two penalty kicks he took for Flamengo.s
Just flicked over to Fox Sports news before calling it a night and saw that to celebrate 10 full seasons of the A League the players union PFA selected their team of the decade voted on by past and present players and Cassio was named at left full back.

Chelsea are coming to Australia in the Euro off season to play Sydney FC. Their first trip in 43 years. They join Liverpool, Tottenham who are also coming as well as Real Madrid, Roma and Manchester City coming to play in the 3 way International Champions Cup with all games played at the MCG.

Liverpool coming and playing in front of 95 000 people 2 years ago showed there is money to be made here and worth adding to the USA and Asian off season tours. The Oz dollar does not buy as many Euros as 2 years ago, but its still profitable.

Yea Cassio was a cult hero for AU, he's one of the nicest guys going around.

Eventually he got old, injury prone and slow and the club sort of forced him out. They stopped playing him even in the reserves and eventually he called it quits.

Was vice captain and the longest serving player for the club and had one of the most low key exits in history. Didn't get a chance to thank the fans and didn't talk to half his teammates or coaches on the way out.

diegodcg would be very interested to hear that Cassio has been named in the A-League Team of the Decade

http://www.foxsports.com.au/footbal...s-opening-decade/story-e6frf4gl-1227323651742
Goalkeeper: Eugene Galekovic

Defenders: Ivan Franjic, Kevin Muscat ©, Patrick Zwaanswijk, Cassio

Midfielders: Matt McKay, Carlos Hernandez, Thomas Broich.

Forwards: Archie Thompson, Besart Berisha, Shane Smeltz

Substitutes: Michael Theo (GK), Adama Traore, Mark Milligan, Steve Corica, Alessandro Del Piero.

Coach: Ange Postecoglou

Referee: Strebre Delovski

http://www.foxsports.com.au/footbal...s-opening-decade/story-e6frf4gl-1227323651742

Yea Cassio was a cult hero for AU, he's one of the nicest guys going around.

Eventually he got old, injury prone and slow and the club sort of forced him out. They stopped playing him even in the reserves and eventually he called it quits.

Was vice captain and the longest serving player for the club and had one of the most low key exits in history. Didn't get a chance to thank the fans and didn't talk to half his teammates or coaches on the way out.

diegodcg would be very interested to hear that Cassio has been named in the A-League Team of the Decade

Goalkeeper: Eugene Galekovic

Defenders: Ivan Franjic, Kevin Muscat ©, Patrick Zwaanswijk, Cassio

Midfielders: Matt McKay, Carlos Hernandez, Thomas Broich.

Forwards: Archie Thompson, Besart Berisha, Shane Smeltz

Substitutes: Michael Theo (GK), Adama Traore, Mark Milligan, Steve Corica, Alessandro Del Piero.

Coach: Ange Postecoglou

Referee: Strebre Delovski

That's nice, thanks. To be honest I do not know many of the names in this team of the decade, apart from Cassio and the legend that is Alessandro Del Piero. Perhaps Adama Traoré too, but there are too many Traorés in football!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back