Round ball code talk

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't understand it either. I realise that money is all and entry into the European Champions league is a big prize these days, the league is nearly secondary. Chelsea, even with their lowly standing are 11 points out of 5th place with 22 games to go and could, if they improve in the run home and the others run out of puff make 5th and a play-off for the Europa League. Even though that would be a triumph from where they are, the moneymen would see it as a failure, and coaches, whatever their reputation and likelihood to pull the team out of the mire, are always the first to be blamed.

The Europa League would be as much consolation to Chelsea as finishing 8th and playing one final would be to Hawthorn next year - aka, a total and complete failure.

I don't understand it either. I realise that money is all and entry into the European Champions league is a big prize these days, the league is nearly secondary. Chelsea, even with their lowly standing are 11 points out of 5th place with 22 games to go and could, if they improve in the run home and the others run out of puff make 5th and a play-off for the Europa League. Even though that would be a triumph from where they are, the moneymen would see it as a failure, and coaches, whatever their reputation and likelihood to pull the team out of the mire, are always the first to be blamed.

Yeah I get the money lure of Champions League but he's a spectacularly successful manager with over half a season up his sleeve. You wouldn't think whoever comes in is going to turn it around any quicker. The January window is about to open and Jose could have brought in some new blood.

It smells a bit of 'losing the dressing room' and player power seeing off the gaffer.

Yeah I get the money lure of Champions League but he's a spectacularly successful manager with over half a season up his sleeve. You wouldn't think whoever comes in is going to turn it around any quicker. The January window is about to open and Jose could have brought in some new blood.

It smells a bit of 'losing the dressing room' and player power seeing off the gaffer.
It doesn't help when he said this earlier this week
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/35098712
It leaves the Blues in 16th position, just a point above the relegation zone.

"One of my best qualities is to read the game for my players and I feel like my work was betrayed," said Mourinho. "One possibility is that I did an amazing job last season and brought the players to a level that is not their level and now they can't maintain it."
"I accept we are in the relegation zone, but I don't accept we are in a relegation battle," said Mourinho. "You look at the table and we are there, but you think you are in a relegation battle if you think you are there for three or four months. I don't think that."
The Portuguese also said the Champions League spots were now out of reach. "We can't finish top four, but we can still finish top six because so many teams are dropping points," he said. "At the moment, we are in a zone where I feel ashamed."
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/35098712
and at the end of September said
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/34386986
Mourinho said his side, who won the Premier League last season but are 14th after seven games of the current campaign, lack "serial champions". Chelsea visit Mourinho's former club Porto in the Champions League on Tuesday. "Clearly it's an attitude perspective of some individuals," he said.

"And when you have individuals with that unstable attitude in terms of motivation, desire and commitment you will pay."
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/34386986

would Ken Hinkley survive if he said this about his players?

The Special One says stuff like that all the time. It's one of the reasons he is so entertaining. Now Chelsea are in a lean spell it becomes an issue.

Vale the Great Jimmy Hill - footballer, manager of Coventry City, player union boss that went to court and won to got rid of the dreaded £20/game maximum salary cap, chairman, innovator - As chairman of Coventry City was the first one to come up with an all seater stadium to get rid of hooligans, innovator on TV, thinker of the game - he was the first one to call for 3 points for a win not 2 and planned for shirts with sponsors names on them years before they were allowed and he had them made up ready to go before they were even discussed for approval, and he could laugh at himself and he had the best chin I've seen on TV. His Match of the Day programs was where I first was educated about the game.

It is hard to think of any other person in any sport who has played such a pivotal role in his sport in so many roles. Jimmy Hill is an important reason why the English professional game is the biggest in the world.

Jimmy Hill the man that revolutionised football

Did one man change modern football worldwide?

Unfortunately the video I saw on SBS isnt available on the BBC media player in Oz, but this is the page where the video is linked.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/22268587

But this page has an embedded 3 minute video summary of his time in the game by fellow commentator John Motson said his friend was an "innovator, instigator and inspiration".
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-35143087

How does a manager like Jose Mourinho get sacked not even halfway through a season?

It happens when one person pulls the purse strings and has the controlling interest in a club. Hopefully AFL clubs never go that way. Despite their first win for weeks there were people at the Chelsea game chanting 'Muorinho' and holding up signs of support at the end of the game. The sacking may work long term but in the meantime it has obviously split the CFC.

I think many Chelsea supporters put up with Roman Abramovich because of the money he brings to the club but I am not sure he has a large personal fan club. Latest reports suggest that Abramovich is talking with Argentian Jorge Sampaoli as the next Chelsea coach. At this stage Sampaoli favours seeing out his contract with the Chilean national team but as we know, money talks. For the second time Gus Hiddink may be a well paid caretaker.

The Special One says stuff like that all the time. It's one of the reasons he is so entertaining. Now Chelsea are in a lean spell it becomes an issue.
The special one
season 1 shock and awe maybe wins some silverware, but improves them
season 2 dominate win silverware
season 3 win more silverware or piss off everyone trying and gets sacked or moves on to another challenge
season 4 doesnt get to season 4.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/José_Mourinho#Performance_timeline

upload_2015-12-26_22-15-47.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like the EPL is $hitty's to lose after Leicester's unexpected slip-up. Would be hilarious if City's owners went bankrupt, then they'll fall back to the lack unless they get another mega-rich owner quickly.

Arsenal made a spectacular hash of their chance to go top. Leicester on 38 points lose in the early match and then a few hours later Arsenal, also on 38 go down in a screaming heap 4-0 to Southampton.

Newcastle slip back into the relegation zone courtesy of a 94th-minute Everton winner.

José could be manager of Man Utd by morning.

Dennis Law was interviewed and was asked if his Man U team would beat the current one. Yes, 1-0 he replied.

Why so close Dennis?

Well ... we are all in our 70s!

Last edited:
How does a player head butt another player and not get a red card? If it happened in the EPL it would surely have been red. I admit the player who was assaulted made the most of it but a head butt is a head butt and the intent was clearly there.

Mind you if the player had been sent off some of the fans would probably have staged a walk out.

How does a player head butt another player and not get a red card? If it happened in the EPL it would surely have been red. I admit the player who was assaulted made the most of it but a head butt is a head butt and the intent was clearly there.

Mind you if the player had been sent off some of the fans would probably have staged a walk out.

Yes that was a disgrace. He will get quite a lengthy suspension, I would think, given the one handed down to Matt Simon recently

Seven news reported that Adelaide United are about to trade Osama Malik to Melbourne City in return for David Williams. I know they need some firepower but Coty the big winners in that deal (if that is all there is to it).

Seven news reported that Adelaide United are about to trade Osama Malik to Melbourne City in return for David Williams. I know they need some firepower but Coty the big winners in that deal (if that is all there is to it).
Prefer that trade not to happen, but more importantly, we need a big arse central defender urgently, maybe even two. Boogard has been a massive loss for us and we need to replace him ASAP!

Prefer that trade not to happen, but more importantly, we need a big arse central defender urgently, maybe even two. Boogard has been a massive loss for us and we need to replace him ASAP!
I heard Cornthwaite is finishing up at his Malaysian club, he is one player we MUST sign, as well as Troisi. But I guess signing Williams would end any possibility of signing the latter.

Why the hell would they trade a key defender for a winger/striker?
Never liked Osama as a central defender, too clumsy at times. A defensive midfielder is his best role alongside Isiais, where he creates stuff. He offers more offensively, than defensively in my view.

As for Williams, well I'm not sure where a spot is available for him in this structure. The only shaky spot for me is Bruce at the moment. Not wanting to get rid of him, he is just horribly out of touch. Williams is a different type of striker, running at defenders while Bruce is a back to the goals type.

United have been decent in the first half. Slater keeps calling it a disallowed goal, but Eugene stopped at the whistle. Wasn't a foul for me though, 50/50 play on I reckon. But the penalty not paid to Marrone was an absolute shocker. Should be 1-1

Ben Williams is having a shocker!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back