Roy masters, at it again!!

Remove this Banner Ad

the distributer

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Nov 5, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Gotta love this nuffie, the LU guys are buying this crap hook line and sinker, what i dont get is why would a high ranking executive from a major network confide in roy that his company wants league, wants it badly and will pay anything for it?, doesnt make sense to me, what will it be next?, maybe the networks downplaying the code they really want so they get it cheaper, surely that would never happen in the bussiness world, roy. lol

His use of the words "one very senior channel 7 executive" or "high ranking industry official" is code for "im making this up to sell papers".

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...rks-may-double-nrls-take-20110302-1bew1.htmlA

bidding war by free-to-air networks for rugby league rights could double the code's existing broadcasting income of $100 million a year, bringing it in line with the AFL's aim of being a billion-dollar sport.
One very senior Channel Seven executive, expressing disenchantment with AFL negotiations, said: ''We've got the money for rugby league and we will pay.''
The Kerry Stokes-owned network recently consolidated with other media and machinery arms of his business empire, ensuring Seven has the cash to bid for rugby league, which it sees as a superior programming alternative in the fast-growing Brisbane and Queensland markets.

No actual quotes in the entire article. Unsurprising really.

The simple fact is one sport is expanding in every facet while the other hasn't grown an inch in the last 5 years.

• Banned
No actual quotes in the entire article. Unsurprising really.

The simple fact is one sport is expanding in every facet while the other hasn't grown an inch in the last 5 years.

but an un-named source says otherwise lol.

This bloke is getting more bizarre with each new article. League is going to get a $billion because Lachie and Jamie love league. Yeah, that'll happen...

He's so desperate you would almost think his life depended on it.

How does RL benefit at all from the AFL doing better? It's hilarious. If anything, with limited money it possibly means the more the AFL gets the less other sports get.

• Banned
s**t mate, i like your car, is it for sale?, oh ok, dont tell me how much you want for it yet, just let me tell you first that i have mountains of money and i'm willing to pay anything for it. :rolleyes:

I wonder if he really is that nieve, wouldnt surprise me TBH.

This might be a channel 7 stalking horse might it not?

1. 7 will bid for the AFL rights, and will try to pay as little as they can get away with.
2. If 7 get the word out that they're 'over' AFL and have a boner for NRL, then the AFL won't be so bullish about demanding 1 Billion. Maybe.
3. 7 might get to pay a bit less, profit!

It's just negotiating argy-bargy by 7, and Masters is being played. In my useless opinion.

This might be a channel 7 stalking horse might it not?

1. 7 will bid for the AFL rights, and will try to pay as little as they can get away with.
2. If 7 get the word out that they're 'over' AFL and have a boner for NRL, then the AFL won't be so bullish about demanding 1 Billion. Maybe.
3. 7 might get to pay a bit less, profit!

It's just negotiating argy-bargy by 7, and Masters is being played. In my useless opinion.

When they dont name sources it pretty much means they're making it up, imagine what would happen if a high ranking 7 exec actualy did tell roy that out of school and the big wigs found out, he would be criminally liable for starters (confidentiality clauses, potential second hand insider trading), he would be civilly liable as well, but roy expects people to believe his source is telling him out of the goodness of his heart or without a hidden agenda, but more than likely there's no source IMO, it's just gutter journalism from a very very jealous little man.

When they dont name sources it pretty much means they're making it up, imagine what would happen if a high ranking 7 exec actualy did tell roy that out of school and the big wigs found out, he would be criminally liable for starters (confidentiality clauses, potential second hand insider trading), he would be civilly liable as well, but roy expects people to believe his source is telling him out of the goodness of his heart or without a hidden agenda, but more than likely though there's no source IMO, it's just gutter journalism.

Not if it was a deliberate Ch7 negotiation ploy. I wouldn't be surprised at all if TV execs did it. Politicians have had a cosy relationships with journo's for ages.

Whether Masters knows or not is irrelevant. He probably does and wants to be in on it

Gotta love this nuffie, the LU guys are buying this crap hook line and sinker, what i dont get is why would a high ranking executive from a major network confide in roy that his company wants league, wants it badly and will pay anything for it?, doesnt make sense to me, what will it be next?, maybe the networks downplaying the code they really want so they get it cheaper, surely that would never happen in the bussiness world, roy. lol

His use of the words "one very senior channel 7 executive" or "high ranking industry official" is code for "im making this up to sell papers".

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...rks-may-double-nrls-take-20110302-1bew1.htmlA

Clearly a case of a 7 exec using Roy as a messenger boy to the AFL in the discussions about their next TV rights deal.

Whether or not RL get 200 million a year is moot.
So long as the AFL does who cares about Sydney League?
Although I find it hard to believe someone would pay 100% over the odds just to be parochial and appeal to a Sydney market which is already captive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For an on-the-record comment about the TV rights deal, all I've been able to find recently is these remarks by 7 exec David Leckie in the Age last week:

When asked about content costs - particularly the broadcast rights for the AFL amid speculation they might be sold for $1 billion - Mr Leckie said there would be no cost surprises. ''We've pretty much budgeted for what it's going to be,'' he said, playing down the prospect of a blowout in football rights. He forecast ''low single-figure'' cost growth.

Take from that what you will.

I love the way he uses the phrase "it is believed" believed by who roy? you?.

FTR, i reckon the powers that be at channel 7 would know the AFL big wigs wouldnt pay much attention to any artical that has roy masters name attached to it, if they seriously did leak it id reckon they'd have used a journo with at least an ounce of credibility.

I love the way he uses the phrase "it is believed" believed by who roy? you?.

FTR, i reckon the powers that be at channel 7 would know the AFL big wigs wouldnt pay much attention to any artical that has roy masters name attached to it, if they seriously did leak it id reckon they'd have used a journo with at least an ounce of credibility.

which is why i believe its more about increasing channel 9's bid for the NRL.

For an on-the-record comment about the TV rights deal, all I've been able to find recently is these remarks by 7 exec David Leckie in the Age last week:

When asked about content costs - particularly the broadcast rights for the AFL amid speculation they might be sold for $1 billion - Mr Leckie said there would be no cost surprises. ''We've pretty much budgeted for what it's going to be,'' he said, playing down the prospect of a blowout in football rights. He forecast ''low single-figure'' cost growth.

At 3% CPI (which would be "low single-figure") that takes the current rights to $904M. Add in an extra 12.5% in games takes it to $1.017Bn

Now that 9th game wouldn't be worth 12.5% - so all the reports of $950m-$1bn seem on the money - and that seems to be coming from most parties to the agreement.

This of course ignores the extra 2 rounds being suggested as well.

AFL rights deal will be around $1b and significantly more than RL and Roy knows it.

but but but i thought roy said that 7 and 10 would be decreasing their commitment, not increasing it!

with a significant increase from foxtel for the extra games and exclusivity, all we need is a small increase in FTA rights and it will top out at $1B

Remove this Banner Ad

Back