Roy Orbison vs. Elvis Presley

Remove this Banner Ad

The Big O. Life Fades Away is a great song, as are many others by Orbison. The posthumous video clip to She's a Mystery To Me coupled with the song itself (co-written with U2's Bono) is haunting given the personal tragedies Orbison endured.

Other notable songs by Orbison would be Blue Bayou and It's Over.

The Big O. Life Fades Away is a great song, as are many others by Orbison. The posthumous video clip to She's a Mystery To Me coupled with the song itself (co-written with U2's Bono) is haunting given the personal tragedies Orbison endured.

Other notable songs by Orbison would be Blue Bayou and It's Over.

It's Over
Pretty Paper
Running Scared

Orbison was absolutely incredible - haunting is an excellent way to describe his singing. He's another one (like Elvis), who unfortunately is well known for his well known stuff (duh), when a lot of his more obscure stuff is a hell of a lot better.

She's A Mystery - that song is just amazing.

I voted for Roy. Not a huge Elvis fan, although some of his songs are OK. Roy on the other hand had one of the most beautiful voices and wrote his own songs.

I think Roy Orbison is unquestionably greater.
Let's look at it objectively..
Firstly,He is generally regarded in the music industry -and by Elvis- as the greatest singer.
Secondly,He is also one of the -if not 'the'- greatest songwriters in popular music, penning many of the greatest songs ever. Elvis' songwriting talents were non-existent.
Thirdly, As a musician Roy was easily better, being a superb guitarist, whilst Elvis was mediocre.
One could make the case that Elvis was the more charismatic and entertaining performer. But was he better..? I don't think so. All Roy Orbison had to do was stand there and open his mouth to sing, to bring the house down. He had no need whatsoever for any dancing, gimmicks or showmanship. And Elvis and The Beatles themselves are on record saying they were *afraid* to follow him on stage.
So on that basis, ie;considering the fundamental aspects of what constitutes a great artist in popular music, I'd say Roy is the clear winner.
Obviously there is more to consider than just this, but, regardless of whatever criteria is used, I think the most important consideration of all is the opinion of one's industry peers. They, afterall, instinctively know what's most important. And, beginning with Elvis himself, the greats of Rocknroll considered Roy Orbison not just their equal, but their superior.
To me, that tells you all you need to know.

two totally different artists too compare.

one wrote his own songs yet was very dull on stage.

the other didn't write his own songs yet was one of the great entertainers.

i prefer Orbisons music but if i had the chance to see one of them live at their peak it would be the king.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

two totally different artists too compare.

one wrote his own songs yet was very dull on stage.

the other didn't write his own songs yet was one of the great entertainers.

i prefer Orbisons music but if i had the chance to see one of them live at their peak it would be the king.
Orbison is only 'dull' if you favor dancing and showmanship over more musical talent..

As per the general consensus Big O had the better singing voice, Travelling Wiburys “Handle with Care” album is on high rotation on my ipod, and when O sings in such songs as Handle with Care and End of the Line, his voice stands even when singing with “rock royalty” such Bob Dylan and Tom Petty.

Even if Orbison had only recorded In Dreams...! What a song that is. Beautifully crafted, the pinnacle of his art. A genius who once walked among us. And a great guy too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back