Royal Commission into Labor's home insulation program

Remove this Banner Ad

Lied to by whom? The person that agreed to follow the USA like sheep. Again you include the Labor government, in case you have forgotten by that stage Howard had already committed our troops.
Who is covering up anything?
The US fabricated a lot of the evidence. I would have supported a royal commission to find out what Howard knew and when. In particular I would like to know if he was involved in sending us into war based on evidence he knew was false.

Howard may have committed troops, but Labor voted to support it. They didn't have to. Which is probably why they never pushed for the royal commission the greens wanted, that is all I was saying.

I'm sure those who got the pink batts given to them would say they weren't wasteful.
That makes little sense. The real ones who think the policy isn't wasteful are the installers who cleaned up getting big $$ from the government and then paying kids to install cheap chinese insulation. Which is why it was wasteful.

If I have a program that gives 10c in aid for every dollar of expenditure it is wasteful. Even if that 10c of aid is appreciated by the people receiving it.

The US fabricated a lot of the evidence. I would have supported a royal commission to find out what Howard knew and when. In particular I would like to know if he was involved in sending us into war based on evidence he knew was false.

Howard may have committed troops, but Labor voted to support it. They didn't have to. Which is probably why they never pushed for the royal commission the greens wanted, that is all I was saying.
Would you support a royal commission into the death and riot at Manus island?

Would you support a royal commission into the death and riot at Manus island?
Don't know why it needs one. A coronial investigation should tell us all we need to know about what went on around the death. The only other part that is interesting is knowing what Morrisson knew and when, but that doesn't need a royal commission. A senate inquiry should be able to find that out as Morrisson would be required to attend. It does not sit easy with me that he made comments he suspected were false. He should have just said we don't know what happened.

However, Labor wouldn't support a full royal commission as that would bring in to review their set-up of the policy and camp.

Don't know why it needs one. A coronial investigation should tell us all we need to know about what went on around the death. The only other part that is interesting is knowing what Morrisson knew and when, but that doesn't need a royal commission. A senate inquiry should be able to find that out as Morrisson would be required to attend. It does not sit easy with me that he made comments he suspected were false. He should have just said we don't know what happened.

However, Labor wouldn't support a full royal commission as that would bring in to review their set-up of the policy and camp.
Why is a senate inquiry good enough for that situation, but not good enough for the 'pink bats'?
If both are about avoiding future deaths and wasted money, shouldn't both be handled the same way?

The set up, policies and actions that created the situation for that death and the riot, should be looked in to just as much as the pink bats. Regardless or major party support. ALP and Coalition should both be held to account.

That makes little sense. The real ones who think the policy isn't wasteful are the installers who cleaned up getting big $$ from the government and then paying kids to install cheap chinese insulation. Which is why it was wasteful.

If I have a program that gives 10c in aid for every dollar of expenditure it is wasteful. Even if that 10c of aid is appreciated by the people receiving it.

Sounds like work for the dole to me

Why is a senate inquiry good enough for that situation, but not good enough for the 'pink bats'?
If both are about avoiding future deaths and wasted money, shouldn't both be handled the same way?

The set up, policies and actions that created the situation for that death and the riot, should be looked in to just as much as the pink bats. Regardless or major party support. ALP and Coalition should both be held to account.
They won't though as they're both culpable. I'm just reflecting on the political reality. The greens would love to set one up, but they don't have the power!

So why not have a royal commission into every industrial death ?

Every one is a tragedy in my book

This one stands out as the Labor government was warned by its own party and its union base that lives would be lost and property damaged due to the aggressive and uncontrolled roll out.

The inquiry may find this negligent, lacked proper safe guards, processes or controls. Once we establish what happened and why, we can learn and improve.

If other incidents wreak of incompetence, then they to should be reviewed by the appropriate authority (which they are).

Mate public servants are just like other people, apart from the fact they get the boot it they do 5% what some politicians do

Must have changed since my glory days there. Impossible to get sacked. Do agree though re pollies. If ever a real audit was done re expenses, I think it would make the UK situation look like a picnic. Why are so many utterly talentless pollies so well off?

This one stands out as the Labor government was warned by its own party and its union base that lives would be lost and property damaged due to the aggressive and uncontrolled roll out.

The inquiry may find this negligent, lacked proper safe guards, processes or controls. Once we establish what happened and why, we can learn and improve.

If other incidents wreak of incompetence, then they to should be reviewed by the appropriate authority (which they are).

If negligence found, would this mean that criminal changes could be pending?

I couldn't see a case for criminal negligence against the government but may be against the contractors.

If we were in a perfect world, Rudd should underwrite the civil damages.

No way.

This might be setup as a political exercise and while the Libs will want the ALP to cop it, they know that one day they'll be in charge and they'll cop something similar in return, so they'll avoid having it go too far. (political) embaressment is one thing, actual consequences, no way.

Both sides know to play within the 'rules'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But no candle light vigils, no March in March. Nothing from the compassionate left.

This policy was a shambles thought up, catastrophly (is that even a word), by an incompetent power hungry buffoon.

Let's get to thw bottom of it.

No calls for more stringent ohs laws or legislation to prevent Phoenix shelf companies in the terms of reference either - of course they want to make sure this never happens again - unless it means tangling culpable employers - who had a statutory obligation to provide a safe system of work in the senseless red tape of ohs compliance - it's a tax in business I tells yah

But no candle light vigils, no March in March. Nothing from the compassionate left.

This policy was a shambles thought up, catastrophly (is that even a word), by an incompetent power hungry buffoon.

Let's get to thw bottom of it.

Where were the rights candle light vigils?

No calls for more stringent ohs laws or legislation to prevent Phoenix shelf companies in the terms of reference either

They wouldn't be needed if we had a sensible IR system. Let us hope that right to negotiate is repealed. Do they still have right of entry?

It must be tiresome for you Comrade that a few bad apples such as ETU and CFMEU and MUA give off such a stench that unionism in Australia is indelibly tainted with thuggery and corruption.

They wouldn't be needed if we had a sensible IR system. Let us hope that right to negotiate is repealed. Do they still have right of entry?

It must be tiresome for you Comrade that a few bad apples such as ETU and CFMEU and MUA give off such a stench that unionism in Australia is indelibly tainted with thuggery and corruption.

Throw out the right to negotiate and the workers will get screwed.

Throw out the right to negotiate and the workers will get screwed.

85% of the population somehow seems to manage.

Special privileges for those that fund the ALP. If it was done by business it would be called corruption.

Mark Arbib back before commission today making serious challenge for title of greatest number of Don't recalls and Don't remembers ever crammed into 30 minutes of a Royal Commission cross examination.

Garrett will be up next in about half an gour.

Does anyone recall a Royal Commission being used as a political weapon like this before?
Not ever, it's quite unprecedented, indicative of this grubby government all and all part of the extended tanty that Abbott threw when the indies chose the ALP over his party in 2007. Rather than looking at his own failings in the negotiation, ie his inability to negotiate his way out of a wet paper bag, Abbott seems intent on inflicting retribution onto others for his inability to be up to the job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back