Ruck work in SANFL....

Remove this Banner Ad

Jim Dixon

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2013
Canada
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I was looking at some stats of our recent win against North Adelaide and of course what stood out was Kane Mitchell's numbers. It's the latest in a series of performances by our Magpies midfielders; I recall Sam Gray got some big numbers too before he was promoted to the AFL team.

So anyway what I'm asking is because I can't see the games for myself, is.. do our Magpies midfielders get an 'easy' ride because our Magpies ruckmen in Redden and Frampton and perhaps also Harvey are providing them with first class ruckwork? It's not like we're fielding a top-up player in the ruck like we have to do for some other positions.

It's just it seems to me to be a big contrast with the struggle street the Power midfield is on with Lobbe getting his arse spanked each week.

So anyway what I'm asking is because I can't see the games for myself, is.. do our Magpies midfielders get an 'easy' ride because our Magpies ruckmen in Redden and Frampton and perhaps also Harvey are providing them with first class ruckwork? It's not like we're fielding a top-up player in the ruck like we have to do for some other positions.
The ruckwork in the SANFL has been pretty inconsistent this year. Redden got absolutely monstered by Baulderstone/Dawe in both matches against Norwood this year, and I think fairly beaten by Kurtze against Sturt and by O'Brian/Lowden against the Crows as well. But that's with both Redden and Frampton coming back off injury and Harvey pinch hitting I guess.

Reddo doesn't necessarily always win the hit out count, but I'd say in most games his tap-work is of far higher quality than his opponent's.

Obviously the SANFL is a step down, but a far higher proportion of Redden's taps hit a Port player in space than what Lobbe manages in the AFL.

... what I'm asking is because I can't see the games for myself, is.. do our Magpies midfielders get an 'easy' ride because our Magpies ruckmen in Redden and Frampton and perhaps also Harvey are providing them with first class ruckwork? .....
You ask a good question but I wouldn't have thought the answer was yes. Logically when our midfielders are doing really well there has to be some drive from the ruckmen. I guess the sticking point for me is the term 'first class', there have been SANFL games this year where our ruck division has been pumped

Hitouts to advantage are always good, but it's not like we've been giving the oppo a bath in that area every game.
Opposition midfielders are just as capable of sharking taps in the SANFL as they are in the AFL.
It's got more to do with the fitness and match awareness you build up as an AFL-listed player compared to a SANFL player.

Port couldn't buy a centre clearance for most of the 1st qtr against south on saturday, but Lobbe and Reddo both got on top from qtr time onwards.

Some of the rock lobsters over the back stuff was Lade like at times, and in the 2nd half Reddo looked a lot more mobile than he has for some time, plus he is a very reliable set shot for goal.

Harvey and Redden are both excellent kicks, but they will have to sharpen up their reflexes ( hopefully in the preseason ) to get a shot at the big time, both could be a liability at the higher level atm, and be run off far too easily.

Harvey didn't play against south so he may be injured, which could explain his previous two disappointing games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back